K400 vs K500 vs K501 vs K 601
Sep 10, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #31 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you outbid me
wink.gif
I was trying to win this one for iQEM......
(my Ebay name is theooldenburg).

The bidders' names are marked private so I can't see the details of the others.

Had you won though, you would have paid less shipping fee than I did.

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #32 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bidders' names are marked private so I can't see the details of the others.

Had you won though, you would have paid less shipping fee than I did.

I'm sorry I didn't see the thread about the shippingcosts.
Before I did the first bid, I contacted the seller and asked him about the shippingcosts.
First time I asked this guy, he gave an outragious amount for shippingcosts. So I checked the website of Deutsche Post, saw that the shippingcosts could be 8,90 Euro (far less then he asked), told him that, and he agreed.
Shippingcosts are negotionable. And this headphone weight is less than 500 gram, so that means 12.90 Euro (18,25 USD) unregistered shippingcosts wordwide should've been reasonable.

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #33 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, you outbid me
wink.gif
I was trying to win this one for iQEM......
(my Ebay name is theooldenburg).

aahahahahaaa, it's a small world afterall...so Zorander was the one had won the K401 listing...
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #34 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aahahahahaaa, it's a small world afterall...so Zorander was the one had won the K401 listing...
tongue.gif

There were also the K400 and K500 available but the bidding prices had gone beyond what I was willing to spend and I couldn't possibly splurge on so many headphones at once.
wink.gif

I really need to reduce my headphones. Obviously I'm not making positive progress...

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #36 of 99
Quote:

yup, i saw em (K400 & K500) too on Ebay.de...so, after you got the K401 now, which one you prefer compare to K601, or even, to your K340 ? i'm dying to know...please share, thank's...
popcorn.gif

I'm still waiting for it.
wink.gif
IME, it can take up to 3-4 weeks for packages to arrive (don't know who's to blame). My current Sextett gave the most extreme wait; purchased in late January and arrived somewhere in May, long after I left the seller negative feedback for non-delivery and zero communication.

It'll be an interesting comparison to the K240 & K340; they are my favourite AKGs.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #37 of 99
Quote:

It'll be an interesting comparison to the K240 & K340; they are my favourite AKGs.

I used to rotate through the K240, K340, K400, and K501 regularly, but since I've gotten a beefy EL84 amp, I've been stuck on the K340.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #38 of 99
Thanks for the review. The K501 have really won me over for an open can: they are so, so, so coherent!

With the Bada PH-12 the ("bass-heavy") K501 really deliver, too. On Santana's Abraxas re-master, the K501 sound flawless. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this PH-12/K501 pairing! : )

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #39 of 99
Quote:

I'm still waiting for it.
wink.gif
IME, it can take up to 3-4 weeks for packages to arrive (don't know who's to blame). My current Sextett gave the most extreme wait; purchased in late January and arrived somewhere in May, long after I left the seller negative feedback for non-delivery and zero communication.

you mean, K240 sextett ? how different between those sextett to K240 studio ? only test that studio version before, not very impressing for me though...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to rotate through the K240, K340, K400, and K501 regularly, but since I've gotten a beefy EL84 amp, I've been stuck on the K340.

so, to you it's true that K340 are better than the other AKG's that you have ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review. The K501 have really won me over for an open can: they are so, so, so coherent!

With the Bada PH-12 the ("bass-heavy") K501 really deliver, too. On the Sanata Abraxas re-master, the K501 sound flawless. I can't say enough about how happy I am with this PH-12/K501 pairing! : )

wow, that's make me curious...looking forward to build an amp (hi-current and hi-voltage) for pairing to my cans...
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #40 of 99
Quote:

The K340 is hit and miss. I'm 1 out of 2. This particular amp seems to have gotten rid of the K340 upper mid hump that I hear on my other amps. The sextett is a close second, but I haven't gotten new pads for my sextett so my ears get sore after an hour or so.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #41 of 99
Quote:

you mean, K240 sextett ? how different between those sextett to K240 studio ? only test that studio version before, not very impressing for me though...
tongue.gif

I meant the K240 Sextett indeed. I have not heard the current/regular K240 but the general consensus here indicates that the vintage K240s are more musical. I definitely agree with its sweet sound.
wink.gif

Quote:

It's the same with me though, as jelloejoe said, it can be a hit and miss. Some just sound 'tired' and/or has too much bass hump. The good ones carry themselves with vigor and are a true joy to listen to. The sound character also generally takes some getting used to; it sounds 'funny' at first listen but becomes lustrous once the ears adapt. I can say this after having gone through some 5-6 pairs of them (I still keep 4 of them, most of them modded).

The same can probably be said of the Sextetts. I love my current EP pair but cannot say the same to the MP pair I sold some time ago. My sample of 2 pairs is hardly representative of the whole family however.

Sep 12, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #42 of 99
Quote:

The K340 is hit and miss. I'm 1 out of 2. This particular amp seems to have gotten rid of the K340 upper mid hump that I hear on my other amps. The sextett is a close second, but I haven't gotten new pads for my sextett so my ears get sore after an hour or so.

Quote:

I meant the K240 Sextett indeed. I have not heard the current/regular K240 but the general consensus here indicates that the vintage K240s are more musical. I definitely agree with its sweet sound.
wink.gif

It's the same with me though, as jelloejoe said, it can be a hit and miss. Some just sound 'tired' and/or has too much bass hump. The good ones carry themselves with vigor and are a true joy to listen to. The sound character also generally takes some getting used to; it sounds 'funny' at first listen but becomes lustrous once the ears adapt. I can say this after having gone through some 5-6 pairs of them (I still keep 4 of them, most of them modded).

The same can probably be said of the Sextetts. I love my current EP pair but cannot say the same to the MP pair I sold some time ago. My sample of 2 pairs is hardly representative of the whole family however.

I have MP and LP Sextetts and they are pretty close to indistinguishable by SQ and looks. They sound very nice out of my Starving Student. I only heard a K340 once at a meet and was unimpressed. I think they were under amped, but it's kept me from buying them. I'd buy one if I could get one under $100, but that's not going to happen.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #43 of 99
Quote:

that's what i dislike from pleather/leather or vinyl pads, make me sweat...
ph34r.gif

Quote:

wink.gif

4 pair of K340 ?!?! OMG...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd buy one if I could get one under $100, but that's not going to happen.

yeaaahh, i guess i'm the same as you there scompton...
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #45 of 99
dt880 to k240 MP, K241 , K240 Anniversary, K240DF
more presence in the midrange,
less bass detail
big loss in soundstage and even bigger loss in instrument seperation/placement

running the dt880s with ss is too bright, and tubes take away somewhat of the sparkle.
k240s are relatively easy to drive & don't scale all that well with amps
they also sparkle nicely even when tubed

thats all for now off the top of my head,
I personally like the K240s for movies, dt880s for gaming,
all in all i was disapointed with the dt880s (they were too analytical, I couldn't suspend disbelief)
I would upgrade to either the Audio Technica W5000 or better yet the ATH W11jpn because they don't have fit issues.
the only K240 I have left is the K240 DF, which I like better than the K501 (it felt like they were shouting the music at me, which fatigued my ears)
and now I use the HD25-1's most of the time so I'm putting the K240DF's up for sale soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back