K400 vs K500 vs K501 vs K 601
Oct 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #92 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My K401 arrived today!!! Went straight ahead to wash the pads, give the phone a thorough alcohol wiping and put on the K601 pads (temporarily). First impression so far is good: More bite than the K601 and fairly forward-sounding with a treble to match.

The stock cable has developed a short somewhere in the middle though and I will have to re-cable this when I find some free time (hard enough to do nowadays). Not much of a deterrent and I also have a K20 that arrived on the same day to play with.
tongue.gif

Congrats! Try also the K601 foam rings. It improved the sound even more on my K-400 with K601 pads.

About the cable, the seller wrote this: "Er hat einen leichten Wackelkontakt im Kabel, aber nur, wenn man aufsteht uns sich bewegt".
Meaning: When you stand up, or move, you will notice a slightly loose contact in the cable....

wow, that's close...almost got it back on those days...
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations
beerchug.gif
! I'm still taking good care of your old pair and enjoying them immensely. I coupled them with a Little Dot I+ hybrid amplifier and the soundstage is just enormous, it actually dwarfs the K501...

Would it be the K501 dont match with the setup but the K401 did, REB ?
just asking, cos all i know K501 are harder to drive then it other siblings...
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question.

Does anyone else have a green almost glue-like dot on the driver with the end wire of the coil going through it?

on K400 ?

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #94 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would it be the K501 dont match with the setup but the K401 did, REB ? just asking, cos all i know K501 are harder to drive then it other siblings...
confused.gif

Well actually the LDI+ drives the K501s very well, it gives them a slightly more warmish sound which I like very much. But the soundstage did not change to my ears (not that it needed to change). But what happened with the K401 was just incredible synergy I think. The K401 kept all its forward, engaging and dynamic characteristics and gained a huge soundstage all of a sudden. I'm tempted to think this is particular to the combination of the K401 with tubes. I lent the K401 to fellow Head-Fi'er Agnostic and he also reported that it had a huge soundstage (much bigger than the K701) with his tube amplifier.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #96 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well actually the LDI+ drives the K501s very well, it gives them a slightly more warmish sound which I like very much. But the soundstage did not change to my ears (not that it needed to change). But what happened with the K401 was just incredible synergy I think. The K401 kept all its forward, engaging and dynamic characteristics and gained a huge soundstage all of a sudden. I'm tempted to think this is particular to the combination of the K401 with tubes. I lent the K401 to fellow Head-Fi'er Agnostic and he also reported that it had a huge soundstage (much bigger than the K701) with his tube amplifier.

how good LD I+ compare to LD MKIII ? i had a change to hear K501 from MacBook+Fubar+LD MKIII (stock), and compare to DT880'03 i prefer K501 much more...well, that's the only tube amp i ever test with K501 and yes, i like it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes do make a giant soundstage with the k400.
I concur.

wow, then i have to try it with K400 by myself to figure out what it's look (heard) like...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #97 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how good LD I+ compare to LD MKIII ? i had a change to hear K501 from MacBook+Fubar+LD MKIII (stock), and compare to DT880'03 i prefer K501 much more...

I wouldn't know. Never heard the MKIII
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #98 of 99
It's strange, because when I listened to my second K401 on the Starving Student, they did not get any more soundstage than with my solid state amp. In fact, they did sound pretty slow, lacked details and had the same soundstage as my Yamaha HP-3. On the solid state amp (a Luxman LV-110) the difference in soundstage was huge and the K401 sounded snappy and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back