K340 KT88 mod guide :)
Apr 8, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #151 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have been expecting this. Well, I removed the tape and guess what it did to the sound? It made it sound more open, thereby decreasing and tightening the bass. But since I like the newfound air, it's a step forward and backward at the same time. I must try some cotton later, which would essentially return it to stock form, minus the grilles.

And on a somewhat unrelated note, what do you guys think about a woody K340? What types of wood would you recommend? How difficult would it be to make the enclosures?

Great question! I would love to see a woody K340. Someone has to have tried it by now??

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #153 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The design of the K340 doesn't lend itself to being woodied.

img2380yb3.jpg

I'd just make a wooden enclosure as close to the one in that pic as possible (the ones to the very left and right), and if the outer plate with the hinge wouldn't work with it, I'd cut out the center of the plastic enclosure and mesh it in with the wood. Only problem is I'd need woodworking tools.
icon10.gif

I could also tune the shape of the backs of the enclosures to change the sound, but that might take a few tries, some more wood, and an outrageous amount of time (and patience).

May 6, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #157 of 236
With the right combination of wires used, this might happen. I had a pair (I've had 3-4 modded pairs) which had a very bright sound, but I've played a bit with the cotton, and found a result I liked.

Oh, yeah, I've almost forgot.
I've modded another pair of K340's, these are already on their way to the new owner, which we all know, Blackmore. I'm sure hell post pics and impressions once he has them
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #158 of 236
stock K340s in 'da house! Where's this mytical modding thread anyways? I've bumped the living daylights out of the thread in the DIY forum to no avail
plainface.gif

I guess this thread will have to do for now
340smile.gif

May 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #159 of 236
Well, RedLeader modded them himself, so I doubt that other thread will ever get off the ground unless someone else closeby buys a pair. Sorry.
frown.gif

May 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #160 of 236
ah, forgot to ask... what do you guys think about a complete overhaul of the crossover? I'm thinking about tracing out a schematic and seeing if using high-quality parts here is of any use... thoughts?

May 6, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #161 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, forgot to ask... what do you guys think about a complete overhaul of the crossover? I'm thinking about tracing out a schematic and seeing if using high-quality parts here is of any use... thoughts?

Good luck. Except for the resistor(s), every single part will be a custom one-off, there are no off the shelf replacements I know of, believe me, I've looked. Now if you are really crazy, it may be possible to trace out the entire crossover and step-up circuitry for the electret and build an external crossover and step-up box with off the shelf parts, this will of course necessitate bi-wiring the headphones.

May 6, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #162 of 236
I like it! Who will build one for me???
340smile.gif

May 6, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #163 of 236
btw, does anyone have a frequency graph of the K340s?

May 6, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #164 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1: Not a crossover. Call it that all you want, but it's a step-up transformer with an inline resistor for impedance matching. Yes, it's a transformer, not a single inductor. There are two coils on there.

2: We don't have to trace out the schematic, it's in the service docs.

The 'crossover bypass mod' makes no sense to me because (a) it's not a crossover, and (b) the only thing the audio signal passes through on it's way to the dynamic driver is a 5mm*3mm patch of copper.

I went ahead and did it anyway, while replacing the original internal wiring with silver plated / teflon insulated. I can't hear a difference.

May 6, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #165 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1: Not a crossover. Call it that all you want, but it's a step-up transformer with an inline resistor for impedance matching. Yes, it's a transformer, not a single inductor. There are two coils on there.

2: We don't have to trace out the schematic, it's in the service docs.

The 'crossover bypass mod' makes no sense to me because (a) it's not a crossover, and (b) the only thing the audio signal passes through on it's way to the dynamic driver is a 5mm*3mm patch of copper.

I went ahead and did it anyway, while replacing the original internal wiring with silver plated / teflon insulated. I can't hear a difference.

Ericj:

Thanks, this was very informative. Can you provide the schematic, or a link to the service manual? I searched for "K340 "service manual" akg" and couldn't find anything ;(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back