K340 KT88 mod guide :)
Apr 7, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #136 of 236
AFAIK, taping up the housing openings kills the bass, since there is no air going in. I tried that before with my bass heavy pair, and it sounded anemic. NO GOOD!

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #137 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been experimenting with tak inside the cups of mine with fairly favorable impressions. Tape up the backs before applying however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, taping up the housing openings kills the bass, since there is no air going in. I tried that before with my bass heavy pair, and it sounded anemic. NO GOOD!

Looks like I'll have to find out for myself.
icon10.gif
Interesting too that khbaur has the bass light version and you have the bass heavy version. This IS so much fun.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Another thing to note is that I have to turn up the volume a bit higher than before to have the same perceived volume. I think this is because it previously had a harshness to the sound from distortion of sound cause by the grilles and/or the fact that I was basing loudness on the bass. Now that there's only technically acoustically transparent speaker cloth between the sound and my ears, I can/want to turn it up louder. I need an SPL meter.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #138 of 236
One of the dynamic drivers in my K340 died
frown.gif
Anyone know where to get one? I know this is probably the most desparate, unlikely search ever...

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #139 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the dynamic drivers in my K340 died
frown.gif
Anyone know where to get one? I know this is probably the most desparate, unlikely search ever...

YGPM

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #141 of 236
Oh I love head-fi, what I thought was a completely hopeless longshot ends up finished after 5 minutes
icon10.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #143 of 236
Well, the dynamic driver is responsible for the vast majority of the sound. Take the headphone apart, desolder the connections to the pcb and solder the channel wiring directly to the driver. No sound = botched driver. And also... no package from Texas yet, but I can't wait!

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #144 of 236
Wow, That got ironed out quick! That's great! Psycho must have helped you out huh?

The package was sent a few weeks back, so it should be any day now, unless the customs guy has a K340.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #145 of 236
his is grey backed, mine is green backed.... are those different versions or different revisions or somesuch?

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #147 of 236
cool, well I'll try it out either way. It'll be fun to see if there are actually any audible differences,

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #148 of 236
Damn, sorry to hear about your trouble... but it is nice to see some head-fi generosity got you all fixed up. Thanks so much for helping Micah out Joe.
340smile.gif

I was just thinking, that I'm probably the only person in the world who has met both of you. That's sort of weird.
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #150 of 236
I should have been expecting this. Well, I removed the tape and guess what it did to the sound? It made it sound more open, thereby decreasing and tightening the bass. But since I like the newfound air, it's a step forward and backward at the same time. I must try some cotton later, which would essentially return it to stock form, minus the grilles.

And on a somewhat unrelated note, what do you guys think about a woody K340? What types of wood would you recommend? How difficult would it be to make the enclosures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back