K167 vs Q701
Dec 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #31 of 42
No, spent $200 on the Q701, and $150 on a semi-custom tube amp & tubes & accessories. Mainly I was just trying to make the point that the SOUND is very "expensive."
I've heard nothing but great things about telefunkens, but they really run up there in price. They're also easily recognizable, so you'll rarely get them at a good deal price, and they are (along with "bugle boy" version Amperex) targets for fraud.
The NOS Sylvania JAN (jan indicates military spec) is regarded as a good budget step, and as impressed as I am I have read about others performing even higher. I'm gonna stick with this for a while though, need to recover some money reserves after Christmas :wink:

The Amperex I did get is pretty good too, but I think the Sylvania is more to my taste. Chocolate vs French Vanilla, respectively.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #32 of 42
Gotcha

And I have a store that sells the telefunkens. They ARE expensive, but for 120 bucks, I would rather go with something that is going to be perfect than sub perfect. I expect this amp to last me a loooooonnnnnnnng time and go through several headphones. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #33 of 42
This thread was suprisingly useful for me. I've been a bit interested in K167 but all this talk about cold and distant sound which is the opposite I like will probably keep me away. I like more fuller/in-your-face/warmer midrange especially.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #34 of 42
Tjj226 Angel,
I highly recommend trying both so that
A) You get an idea of what changing the tube can do for the sound and
B) You can decide what the +$100 price difference does for you.
REPORT YER FINDINGS!!!!! :D
Quote:
This thread was suprisingly useful for me. I've been a bit interested in K167 but all this talk about cold and distant sound which is the opposite I like will probably keep me away. I like more fuller/in-your-face/warmer midrange especially.

Apparently, the K270 series has an amazingly full and musical midrange. They tempt me, Frodo!

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:
Apparently, the K270 series has an amazingly full and musical midrange. They tempt me, Frodo!

I tested a K272 HD and absolutely loved the midrange and highs, bass felt pretty clean and textured despite it doesn't seem to be measuring overly great. I'm a bit basshead though but at the time I listened to it at a shop it had suprisingly strong bass despite the curve shows it rolls off in the bass area...

I remember standing a good 7-10 mins or so listening to the K272 HD, didn't have time to listen longer. :) At times I get confusing feedback from my senses like when I'm at home I wouldn't want less than the bass M-Audio Q40 + ZO is offering me but sometimes when demoing other headphones I seem to enjoy those beautiful warm mids and airy highs etc. and doesn't seem to be searching for that bass.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

I tested a K272 HD and absolutely loved the midrange and highs, bass felt pretty clean and textured despite it doesn't seem to be measuring overly great. I'm a bit basshead though but at the time I listened to it at a shop it had suprisingly strong bass despite the curve shows it rolls off in the bass area...

I don't always find FQ graphs match perception. Yeah, the K272 sounds verrry nice. How big was it? I haven't seen one in person, just read about them.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:
I don't always find FQ graphs match perception. Yeah, the K272 sounds verrry nice. How big was it? I haven't seen one in person, just read about them.

Typical fullsize headphone size. I didn't pay attention to size as it's least of my concerns. Comfort however I remember VERY well, that stretching elastic lower-headband together with the very nice big soft velour pads made these among the most comfortable headphones ever and I've tried XB500 and XB700.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

You can see images of them worn here http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-271-mk-ii.php
They are amazing, nothing like K702/K701, still consider them one of the best closed even against new rivals. I liked them quite better than D2000, they are slightly drier than MDR-1R and bass doesn't have same impact, but still can hold their own against them just fine, some might even like them better due to tighter and less sweetened sound all across.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #39 of 42
Looks like the 272HD has a bit more bass and slightly tamed highs versus K271 MKII:

Since the K272 HD has velour pads as well I can very much recommend them. I was almost picking them up, that much I enjoyed listening to them for the shy asking price. I didn't find the bass to be THAT lacking as the graph suggests and the spike around 9kHz wasn't introducing any sibilance from my experience, a pleasent smooth sounding highrange with decent airiness to them despite a closed headphone but those beautiful warm mids were the best of it obviously. Soundstage was also large.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:
Looks like the 272HD has a bit more bass and slightly tamed highs versus K271 MKII:

Since the K272 HD has velour pads as well I can very much recommend them. I was almost picking them up, that much I enjoyed listening to them for the shy asking price. I didn't find the bass to be THAT lacking as the graph suggests and the spike around 9kHz wasn't introducing any sibilance from my experience, a pleasent smooth sounding highrange with decent airiness to them despite a closed headphone but those beautiful warm mids were the best of it obviously. Soundstage was also large.

I thought MK II comes with pleather and velour pads. As an owner of original K271S I must say that velour is a must, they provide a much better seal that improves low end and comfort (I had to order them separately from AKG).
They don't sound completely closed in but soundstage is not the greatest you can find, MDR-1R sound cavernous after them.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #42 of 42
Dylan,
As far as modding headphone earcups goes, earcups make up a big part of how the headphones sound, and all the materials you listed are probably uncomfortably more heavy. I wouldn't try, personally. If you don't like the look of plastic though, why not try covering it with some sort of veneer? Might even look cool with the combination of the chrome/aluminum rim and leather that looks like it was stitched on.

Those refinements sound like exactly what I would enjoy. The problem (& reason I asked about size) is I'm so happy with my Q701 that I really only need a sealed can for traveling & portable use. I dunno, maybe I could get away with something that large on an airplane, probably would be ok at a desk job, but right now I have no desk job or airplane trips and I just can't justify another headphone purchase. Someday though, I will have to either try these K272 HDs or a Sennheiser 600HD (as stupid as the trend is to call headphones HD, like some sort of LCD TV). Wish I could find my Crossfade LPs, they weren't going to win any medals for detail and realism, but they were fun & I'd just gotten them broken in & comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back