k1000 owners club
Oct 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #946 of 1,660
ford2 posted:-

Quote:
 At my age it is best not to go to fast.
tongue_smile.gif

Wot, another old codger like me who is just a bit of flotsam on the jetstream of life....

The only thing I am fast at these days is - jumping to conclusions, and even then I debate with myself whether I SHOULD OR NOT......

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #947 of 1,660

Quote:
ford2 posted:-

Wot, another old codger like me who is just a bit of flotsam on the jetstream of life....

The only thing I am fast at these days is - jumping to conclusions, and even then I debate with myself whether I SHOULD OR NOT......

Living in Cabramatta it is a wonder you reached old age.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #949 of 1,660

Quote:
Yes, I agree that K1000 is damn fast. Stax 2020 combo sounds so muddy these days.
frown.gif

I guess it's a matter of tonal balance, raw energy of the transients, cup resonances, stuff like that. The Stax may sound muddier, but they are actually faster, not only theoretically but also audibly faster. IMO. I have the K1000 and the SR-303, I think SR-202 should be pretty much identical to the 303 in terms of speed.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #950 of 1,660

Quote:
Hahah.  Hey wink, I love these cans and can't possibly imagine how much they'd be if I'd had auditioned the K1000 bass heavy... I just wonder why the later one would be bass lite and the earlier one to be bass heavy - as improving the bass on these is a challenge due to more vibration energy needing controlling.  Or did AKG take the easy way out and simply reduced bass output to minimise vibration.  I wonder?

They changed the diaphragm doping at one point, which is not unusual for AKG to do.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #951 of 1,660
First Watt F1 has arrived! 
smily_headphones1.gif

1) It's probably 2x the size I expected.  Currently it does not "fit" anywhere in my listening setup
frown.gif

2) My balanced cables are not long enough to reach where the amp *could* potentially go.  I currently don't have the jumpers for the balanced bypass to use RCA instead.
3) My stock k1000 pigtail does not have the "distance" between speaker wire ends required to connect it to the back of the amp
4) Plugged in I can hear the f1 humming ever so slightly, is this normal?
frown.gif

Triple facepalm, epic fail!!!!

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #952 of 1,660

Quote:
First Watt F1 has arrived! 
smily_headphones1.gif

1) It's probably 2x the size I expected.  Currently it does not "fit" anywhere in my listening setup
frown.gif

2) My balanced cables are not long enough to reach where the amp *could* potentially go.  I currently don't have the jumpers for the balanced bypass to use RCA instead.
3) My stock k1000 pigtail does not have the "distance" between speaker wire ends required to connect it to the back of the amp
4) Plugged in I can hear the f1 humming ever so slightly, is this normal?
frown.gif

Triple facepalm, epic fail!!!!

Grats on your buy! First of all: BREATHE!
biggrin.gif
You're so close by now. Can wait till a new set of XLR cables arrive. Breathe again
smily_headphones1.gif

I want one so badly.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #955 of 1,660
I've never heard mine humming. Hopefully it didn't get internal damage during shipping. I just bought some wire and a 4 pin xlr from parts express to make my adapter. I just leave the 4 pin coming from the F1 next to my pc monitor so I don't have to worry about connecting/disconnecting from the rear of the F1 all the time or the length of the stock wire.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #958 of 1,660
Ok I *think* the hum is all but gone now by lifting the ground via adapter.

I'm too much of a wuss to cut up the stock pigtail so I'll try to pick up some parts to build a new one myself at a reasonable price.  Will hit up my local guitar center to check for supplies tomorrow.  

Bad idea or bad idea to hide the damn thing tucked under my bed?  It's literally bigger than any other component I own, and I don't own any small gear!

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #959 of 1,660

When you run it for a few hours and feel how much heat it generates I do not think that you will be putting it under the bed.

It is the type of amp that needs a lot of cool air.

And not a good idea to run an amp without the ground,for that matter despite what you read in this forum it is not a good idea to run anything without a ground unless designed/built as such.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #960 of 1,660
Thanks Ford, I think I'm just going to have to leave it awkwardly in a corner of my room, maybe only take it out when getting used heh.

Today I ordered 15' XLR cables, 14' of canare quad cable, and a neutrik 4 pole male XLR connector.  Going to have to build a pigtail! 

For those who have gone this route, did you go with spades, bare wire, crimps, or soldered bare wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back