k1000 owners club
Oct 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #931 of 1,660
I really enjoy the K1000 with trance aswell. Unlike SP wild´s experience about them being slow I find them rather fast for a dynamic headphone, which is quite good for trance music.
Quote:
Yeah, we did, it was fun, lots of hp's and very short time, as always. Lets keep in touch through p.m. for possible another one...

Congrats on your great choice and welcome to the Unison club, cos Kees owns one to. Which tubes are you using in yours?

By source I ment CD's or other used files.

Ah man, thats cool to hear, we should definitely do another one some time in the future. But yea, kees has ALOT of headphones, I also heard his unico back when I still had the Jade and it sounded so good, he has the more expensive CDE version though. Right now Im using the tubes that came with it; JAN philips ECG 5814A. I havent looked into other tubes yet.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #932 of 1,660
Techno is actually one of the best things about the K1000 I found.  The tonal balance, when adjusting for a big soundstage matches flawlessly, the depth and layering of the complex harmonies upon its true soundstage is a real surprise to me - I was going to say this earlier, but felt admitting that the K1000 would be viewed in a negative light for associating it with less traditional music, eg jazz, which sounds good on every headphone, and apparently is the biggest strength on every can reviewed, so I left that out as well - too cliched.

But my position still stands.  The K701 superseded the K1000 as a new flagship, and it is definitely better in at least one technical aspect.  Wanna guess what I think this aspect is?

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #934 of 1,660
Hahah.  Hey wink, I love these cans and can't possibly imagine how much they'd be if I'd had auditioned the K1000 bass heavy... I just wonder why the later one would be bass lite and the earlier one to be bass heavy - as improving the bass on these is a challenge due to more vibration energy needing controlling.  Or did AKG take the easy way out and simply reduced bass output to minimise vibration.  I wonder?

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #935 of 1,660
The K1K easily beats the the K701 at speed. Listen to #41 by Dave Matthews Band from 2:30 to 3:00, especially from 2:48 to 2:55. On the K701 things begin to jumble and just become a lump of noise. On the K1K every instrument is more separated and easy to pick out. This is from listening to both straight off the F1 outputs.

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #936 of 1,660
concur with the opinion about the speed, these are one of the fastest phones I've heard to date, yet I think the hd800 is a tad faster, but surely the K1000 is no match against the dt48 at speed though.

Oct 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #937 of 1,660
Yes, I agree that K1000 is damn fast. Stax 2020 combo sounds so muddy these days.
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #938 of 1,660
Talking about speed, having hear the K1K and the K701 significantly, I don't agree with SP Wild. The K1K was faster, it was not a HD800 from a speed perspective, but no slouch either, IME better than the 701 in every way.

Oct 7, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #942 of 1,660
As I recall from krmathis post (can't find it at the moment) this is because of machinery, which had made drivers for K1000. Over the time it wear out, and thus there are two versions of K1K.

Sorry If I have missed some details regarding this matter. 

Quote:
<..> I just wonder why the later one would be bass lite and the earlier one to be bass heavy <..>

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #943 of 1,660
^ I believe you refer to why the K1000 discontinued.
From what I have read, and which also makes sense, is that the K1000 went out of production because the some or more of the machines used to make it were worn out. After 16 years and 10-11.000 units produced.

Why there are so called "bass light" and "bass heavy" K1000s is most certainly because AKG made several changes to both the drivers and the PCB during these years.  Quite sure Fitz have documented the physical changes around here, although not sure in which thread.

AKG K1000 - A collection of information and links

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #944 of 1,660

Quote:
^ I believe you refer to why the K1000 discontinued.
From what I have read, and which also makes sense, is that the K1000 went out of production because the some or more of the machines used to make it were worn out. After 16 years and 10-11.000 units produced.

Why there are so called "bass light" and "bass heavy" K1000s is most certainly because AKG made several changes to both the drivers and the PCB during these years.  Quite sure Fitz have documented the physical changes around here, although not sure in which thread.

AKG K1000 - A collection of information and links

Amazing collection of useful details, thanks again for posting the link.  I believe the drivers are still being produced, though, for Disney.

Oct 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #945 of 1,660

Quote:
Amazing collection of useful details, thanks again for posting the link.  I believe the drivers are still being produced, though, for Disney.

They are available for anyone if they want to cough up $600-$700.

Looks like a trip to D-Land would be a cheaper place to source them,and as a bonus I get a pic of me with Micky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back