k1000 owners club
Jun 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #796 of 1,660
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to have it in the house.

I'm a real tube-rolling noob though. So Mullards would be my best choice for this amp, or are there any other brands like the Shugang 50 Years Treasure or Sophia Princess? Or do they not make the kind of tubes for this amp?
And do I only need to replace the EL84, not the ECC 82 and 83. What would those have to be replaced with?
Where does one buy these better tubes and find NOS tubes?
And what are these tubes for? Which are power, driver and what is rectifier?
I also saw this amp is self-bias, which means I don't have to bias it manually. But what is biasing anyway?

Sorry for firing off questions like a machine gun, just thought I'd ask it all at once. 
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #797 of 1,660
Well, just wait until you have it, burn in for like 100 hours, at least, and then start to listen criticaly. After that, if you will miss anything, you can start looking for other tubes, but, before that, just make a list with things taht you are missing, so based on that you can focus on correct tubes for roll.

Self-bias or auto-bias, thats exactly what you said, you dont have to do it yourself, but thats not that much work, really. Basically, biasing is just settle the DC ( direct current ) that are best for used tubes to perform at their best. However its still questionable what ever biasing is an good or totally not, maybe technically it is, but sonically...

In your situation, I think, ECC83 is a driver tube and 2X ECC82 are pre-amp, which are, to me, most important, regarding sonic influence, however...Output tubes, EL84, are even important as the driver one, so, all that means, you have to find the good combination that sound great together. Another thing, which is important, the basic of the sound sig of the amp, means that he can be on the warmer or cooler side, so, starting from there you can make the right choice later, just dont rush and give the time for fully burn first.

Jun 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #798 of 1,660
Thanks for the info Blackmore. I guess it's not so easy then, but probably the right way to do it since we all hear differently and have different preferences. I'll make sure to give it proper  burn in and then I'll try to find out how to adjust the sound. I wonder what I will find in the manual regarding the tubes though, my other Luxman came with a Japanese only manual even though it was imported through normal distribution channels.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #801 of 1,660
I really can't answer that for you since I have only played the K1000 with the Marantz PM7200KI. The sound is better and fuller when I put the class A switch on, as opposed to using it in class AB. In class AB I also get distortion earlier on the volume dial. As I am still waiting for the Luxman I can't tell you about the differences yet. I tried to drive them with the Phonitor and the other Luxman but I don't get enough volume there. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #802 of 1,660
Received the Luxman this morning and have been listening to it for at least 6 hours. Man what a sound. I even get more volume than with the Marantz plus all the things that were lacking: incredible detail, deep and controlled bass, soundstage, impact, ... you name it.
A while ago I bought the Little Dot MkIII to get a feel for tube sound and I liked it, but little did I know what a top tube amp could do. This isn't just a few steps up the ladder, it's a couple of ladders up. I'm really impressed.
I have been running it with both the K1000 and K701 all day and I can tell you the headphone part is just as impressive as the speaker part. Never heard my K701's sound that good, I feel these really benefit from tube amplification. Can't tell you anything about using it with the Senn's though, I'll try that tomorrow. Tonight is reserved for the K1000 and I got three cd's just for that in mind already.

I'm also happy that it's the "Made in Japan" version as opposed to the former "Designed in Japan, assembled in China" version. And it did come with an English manual this time, reads a lot easier than the Japanese manual my P-1u had I must say. 
tongue_smile.gif
 No word on tube rolling though.

Well, here's a pic for you all to enjoy! 

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #803 of 1,660
Beautiful amps collection, never tried any Luxman artwork, but Phonitor is one the hell of a amp, congrats! You may want to open up the cover and shoot one, or more, extra pic and maybe in the night, nice...

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #806 of 1,660
Hehe, thanks Blackmore.
I'll try to shoot one tonight with the glow. I'm not a great photographer though and I only have a compact. I think using a long shutter and a little tripod should do the trick. Yesterday I just enjoyed the glow and the sound. Damn, tubes can sound good. 
I'm trying to figure out what sounds best on what now. The K1000 and K701 sound amazing on the new tube amp. The K701 really is a delight to hear as well when amped right. For the rest I'm going to do some listening today. I think I will let the Phonitor go though, in favor of a pair of Audeze LCD-2. Three nice amps are a bit too much to keep.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #807 of 1,660

Just received #10690, I have been wanting (and waiting) to join the club for quite some time..... and yes I remember all the past opportunities I had to pick up a pair while they were still current. 

But even at today's going rate they are still competitive with the best out there so I guess it is all relative! 

Happy Listening, 

Richard

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #810 of 1,660
I ordered mine last July from AKG Austria and I am still waiting
Terrible service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back