k1000 owners club
May 5, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #766 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it drives them with no effort at all,crystal clear highs and excellent bass considering it is the phones week point.For anyone looking for a little cost effective balanced amp that can tame the K1000 it is it.
This model is no longer available,I believe they had trouble sourcing some parts so they modified the + version with a substantial reduction in output power being the result.

And for those that doubt try it,SS amps in the last few years have reached astonishing levels of price/performance.

I have been trialing them from my Pioneer VSX LX70 AVR which is no slouch and there is very little in it.

if i got it right the actual Little Dot MK VII+ does NOT drive the K1000 as good as the previous version?

May 5, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #767 of 1,660
Another question sorry.
I have the chance to get a Dussun DS99 for 350€ (used) to power the K1000. Will you take it ? or i better go for a Marantz PM5003 which i can find for less than 300€ new ?

May 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #768 of 1,660
I do not think that it will because of it's greatly reduced output,the Vll puts out 2 watts into 120 ohms and the Vll+ is  only 500 mW into 120 ohms.

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And it drives them with no effort at all,crystal clear highs and excellent bass considering it is the phones week point.For anyone looking for a little cost effective balanced amp that can tame the K1000 it is it.
This model is no longer available,I believe they had trouble sourcing some parts so they modified the + version with a substantial reduction in output power being the result.

And for those that doubt try it,SS amps in the last few years have reached astonishing levels of price/performance.

I have been trialing them from my Pioneer VSX LX70 AVR which is no slouch and there is very little in it.

if i got it right the actual Little Dot MK VII+ does NOT drive the K1000 as good as the previous version?

May 11, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #770 of 1,660

Today I decided that a new addition was required as it is a real pain to have to keep altering the gain switches when using other phones apart from the K1000.

So to this end I found a rather sexy little amp with a great sound signature.

The Sansui AU-3900 has a very sweet sound.

May 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #771 of 1,660
Nice sansui '80 years?

May 12, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #773 of 1,660
Good I remember this amp
Nice
The Little Dot is good amp for K1000?

May 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #775 of 1,660
Try it with your WA6SE first. I'm not a fan of cheap Chinese made tube amps (I'm Chinese). Don't bother with those amps unless you want something to drive speakers with. 2A3 amps are awesome.

May 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #776 of 1,660
Are you serious about trying the K1000 out of the WA6SE?  
I'm sure that some sort of sound will come out of this combo but from what I've read these earspeakers have speacial needs when it comes to amplification and almost no headphone amplifier can do them justice...

I know that Donald North recommended somewhere EL84 tube amps as a good and realtively cheap solution for K1000.

May 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #777 of 1,660
Yes, serious. A couple of people have tried it, and Jack the designer confirmed it. You only really need 1-2w into 120ohms. Is it optimal? Nope, but I bet it'll be better than a cheapo tube speaker amp. One el84 speaker amp that is often recommended for K1000 is the Almarro a205 ($800-1000 new). Anyways, unless you need to drive speakers now, there is no reason to rush into getting a speaker amp to drive the K1000.

May 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #778 of 1,660
The only two amps I've used with the K1000 are both very nice and fancy. That's why it may be odd for me to try with a dirt cheap Chinese amp, Meng Mini P1. It uses 6AQ5, and it will land home tomorrow. I do not expect much but who knows, maybe it does a thing or two fine.

Besides, I haven't got any taste of tubes nor poor amplification of the K1000. I'm thrilled. :) If the sound is bad, I can finally appreciate my Marantz the way I should have from the get go. It's a win win situation for some €200.

May 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #779 of 1,660
K1000 SN: 08725 here. Got my first K1000 this week and think I'm gonna buy a second one for backup. So you could say I love the sound.
tongue_smile.gif

I have been comparing it to my HD800 and O2 for two days in a row now with a variety of music. I always come back to the same conclusion.

But now, the dreaded question: what to amp it with? And yes, I read all the "what amp for the K1000" threads and various other threads or parts of them. So I have a pretty good idea of what I can and can't use, but I would like some advice to narrow down my choices.
For the moment I'm using my Marantz PM7200 KI speaker amp and I switch it to Class A. I must say I'm amazed as I didn't think this amp would do so well, but still I know there is room for improvement.

So here is what I found. I do prefer SS to tubes, but am not discarding tubes. I would consider a dedicated amp if it's not too expensive but prefer a better amp that I can use with the K1000 as well as with my speakers so I need (want) 2 speaker outputs and an A/B switch. I don't want to go completely bazooka pricewise. And I live in Europe so very exotic US only stuff is not only way more expensive here but repairs would be hell too.

Violectric HPA V200 : would be a dedicated amp, but is this really both good and powerfull enough? Any other +/- 1k€ dedicated amps that are really the max with the K1000? No, not the SAC, doesn't seem good enough to me. Some other SS amp? Or a tubey?
WooAudio 5 : too expensive, certainly for Europe, as it would be used as a K1000 only amp. Yes, it has speaker outputs but not powerful enough for the speakers I want. 
Accuphase E-560 : SS Class A. I prefer SS, but would this be as good as tube Class A? About the price ... I can always rob a bank. 
ph34r.gif

Does anyone know what the previous model was called so I can find reviews about it?
Luxman L-550A II : same thing as the accuphase but less pricey and less powerful. They also have a more powerful version, the 590 but that one is almost as expensive as the Accuphase. Good enough, nearly as good as the Accuphase or ...?
Luxman SQ-38u : The Tube Class A variant of these integrated amps, and it looks darn good too. Maybe the best option? Only a bit worried about the tubes though. And the heat, but that would probably be the same as with the Class A SS amps I guess.

So, any experiences, views or opinions are welcome. 
popcorn.gif

May 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #780 of 1,660

Quote:
Yes, serious. A couple of people have tried it, and Jack the designer confirmed it. You only really need 1-2w into 120ohms. Is it optimal? Nope, but I bet it'll be better than a cheapo tube speaker amp. One el84 speaker amp that is often recommended for K1000 is the Almarro a205 ($800-1000 new). Anyways, unless you need to drive speakers now, there is no reason to rush into getting a speaker amp to drive the K1000.

OK, thanks.   Then I'll definately try it - maybe I'll even do the necessary mods to the WA6SE so that it would accept 6FD7 tubes without any risks - the 6FD7's almost double the output of the amp when compared to the standard 6EW7 ones.,..

One question though: I recently bough a R10 style Headphile CD3000 which comes with an adapter as you can see in the attached picture - can I use this adapter for the K1000 also in order to connect it to the WA6SE? Or should I order one of ebay?

I'll report back after I'll listen to the K1000 out of WA6SE versus other speaker amps some romanian head-fiers might have lying around :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back