k1000 owners club
Mar 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #721 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I'd like to know is how you wear these things with the temple pads (also known as spikes of death) drilling into the sides of your head.

Sliding the pads apart tend to release some of the pressure. If that is not enough consider some light bending of the arch.
..or simply use it more to get used to it.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #722 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sliding the pads apart tend to release some of the pressure. If that is not enough consider some light bending of the arch.
..or simply use it more to get used to it.
wink.gif

I wish I could, but I don't think it's going to happen. After (literally) 2 minutes it gives me a horrible headache. It happens to hit the only two sensitive spots on my head. I've slammed my melon into any number of blunt objects with nary a star to be seen. But that little one or two newtons of force in that spot puts me down for the count. I've messed with the positioning of the pads, but no messing with the arches. I'll never be a fan because of the physical pain it causes me.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #723 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could, but I don't think it's going to happen. After (literally) 2 minutes it gives me a horrible headache. It happens to hit the only two sensitive spots on my head. I've slammed my melon into any number of blunt objects with nary a star to be seen. But that little one or two newtons of force in that spot puts me down for the count. I've messed with the positioning of the pads, but no messing with the arches. I'll never be a fan because of the physical pain it causes me.

I know it feels like a fragile area, but the arches do have some give and will respond to gentle pulling by prying them apart. I'd definitely give that a shot before selling such a hard to get by headphone. It should relieve some of the pressure....

Best

Mar 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #724 of 1,660
I read with much interest on 'hardwired, I thought a cable type Alo Audio POCC (copper)
What do you say?

@Headphoneaddict Great offer for buy K1000
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

But Naples is in Italy
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #725 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by CD44hi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd definitely give that a shot before selling such a hard to get by headphone.

You have that right, I have been watching E bay, Audiogon and here, for awhile now and these things get scooped up with-in an hour of getting posted.

I finely got Lucky and a deal fell through.
beerchug.gif
Now I need to get reading. I might Google,,,,"If my singlepower Balanced Extreme doesn't have the magic what does!!"
popcorn.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #726 of 1,660
Hi guys, I've seen some discussion on recabling the k1000s recently and thought id post my experiences. I upgraded to a SAA E Series hardwire a few months ago. I did this on blind faith really and didn't spend much time listening to them before i did the recable. I cant really add much on the changes made. I did find originally they were a little harsh. I didn't think this was a problem and thought my ears needed to adapt (My previous cans were Grado PS-1s). Since recabling they are no longer harsh so this is either a result of the recable, or my ears adapted.

Not much use so far am i :)

However
I took the inside grills off this weekend and am very impressed. This really was a night and day difference and i knew straight away. I'm not great at describing sounds, but the mod defiantly changes the bass. It doesn't add more, it just improves what's there. It improves the tone of the bass and also adds more impact. My K1000s are the most realistic headphones I've tried and this mod is the icing on the cake really. When you go to concerts you can really feel the bass (my heart actually hurt once because i was too close to a speaker at an oasis concert). I feel a portion of the airwaves are blocked by the metal grills. I now have my headphones slightly more angled out to compensate and honestly couldn't be happier. I've left the outside grills on (cant see them effecting sound) and they're not as pretty as they used to be, but i won't be putting the grills back on. I'm very impressed and think if you are careful with your headphones like i am and don't have children or animals around, this is a reversible mod that's worth a try. It is completely reversible and if you don't like it, you can always put them back on.

Here's a pic
nakedk1000s.jpg

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #727 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However
I took the inside grills off this weekend and am very impressed. This really was a night and day difference and i knew straight away. I'm not great at describing sounds, but the mod defiantly changes the bass. It doesn't add more, it just improves what's there. It improves the tone of the bass and also adds more impact. My K1000s are the most realistic headphones I've tried and this mod is the icing on the cake really. When you go to concerts you can really feel the bass (my heart actually hurt once because i was too close to a speaker at an oasis concert). I feel a portion of the airwaves are blocked by the metal grills. I now have my headphones slightly more angled out to compensate and honestly couldn't be happier. I've left the outside grills on (cant see them effecting sound) and they're not as pretty as they used to be, but i won't be putting the grills back on. I'm very impressed and think if you are careful with your headphones like i am and don't have children or animals around, this is a reversible mod that's worth a try. It is completely reversible and if you don't like it, you can always put them back on.

Ergh - while I believe you when you state the sound improves for the bass & normally I enjoy disassembling things, this is not for me. The thought of using them in this condition makes me ... well ... let's say uneasy. It looks so fragile!

Guess I will first improve the amplification to the Yamamoto HA-02 speaker-output. (The K1000 is now soldered to a jack - I already looked up the colourscheme to see what goes where.)

BTW the back grill that you didn't remove can make a difference also. Just cup your hands on that side if you want to hear it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #730 of 1,660
Hi.. I am maybe your newest member,,,#10820. (got here from Hong Kong this morning)

Is there a "default setting" as far as the angle of the speakers. I have only listened for about an hour today (and was sleeping for half of that) but I seem to like then about half way in between fully open and right against my ears.

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #731 of 1,660
Hello!
Does Anyone have tried to power the K1000 with the Audio-gd Roc or Phoenix ?

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #732 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi.. I am maybe your newest member,,,#10820. (got here from Hong Kong this morning)

Is there a "default setting" as far as the angle of the speakers. I have only listened for about an hour today (and was sleeping for half of that) but I seem to like then about half way in between fully open and right against my ears.

There's no standard setting, but I have settled on about 3/4" or so open. So, pretty close to the ears. It gives a good balance and still allows an open soundstage.

Congratulations!

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #733 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_McCloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!
Does Anyone have tried to power the K1000 with the Audio-gd Roc or Phoenix ?

At a mini-meet hosted by Gary (gjkphd) we used his Phoenix to drive my K1000. All three of us Gary, Rob (vorlon1), and I liked the sound quite a bit.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #734 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Welcome!
k1000smile.gif
smile.gif

There are no "default setting", as some like the maximum open while other more or less fully closed in.
You just have to try different settings yourself, finding the one(s) you prefer.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #735 of 1,660
I find the 4/5 opening working very well on classical music and 2/5 on all else for added bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back