k1000 owners club
Sep 22, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #1,396 of 1,660
 Now, you need to get a bass heavy set...

I like the basslight version by far compare to bassheavy version 
biggrin.gif

Me too :)

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,401 of 1,660
Dear headfellows,

yesterday one of my neighbours came to me with a question. Her husband died twenty years ago but shortly before his sudden death he bought himself a headphone. She wanted to know whether it still had some value or that she could throw it away.

Of course I didn't expect much, probably some cheap Sennheiser from the early 90's I thought, but later that day she came to me with a wooden box that I recognized immediately. And opening the box made the surprise even bigger. A K1000 in as-new condition. No scratches, no dirty spots, nothing ............. This one could have come just from the shop. You may imagine her surprise when I told her what she had in her hands!   :)

The woman hasn't seen her brother for many years, as he lives in Asia and this incredibly good looking and good sounding headphone is auctioned to finance her a trip to Thailand. If interested, please take a look at my website at www.meier-audio.com.

Cheers

Jan

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #1,403 of 1,660
Replacing the back foam is a night and day difference. The improved bass response has floored me completely not to mention the tamed highs. My theory that because the lower serials have the higher PPI foam compared to the high serials, they become "bass heavy". I think maybe any pair can be bass heavy with the way i replaced the foam. I increased the height of the foam by 50% as an experiment because I couldn't find 80 PPI foam, just used 45 PPI aquarium foam. The PPI on this aquarium is at least higher than the higher serial foam. I used a very fine small pencil sized painter's brush to clean the old foam fragments inside of the back of the driver. The higher PPI original stock foam will leave tiny fragments on the driver no matter how well you take care of them. Therefore, depending on how it's touching the driver, rattling and buzzing will occur on lower frequencies. Even the lower serial pair I've heard to have no buzzing, I had to still clean the driver. This happens on the higher serials as well but I think less frequently. If the width of the foam is large enough, the magnet ring will hold it in place just fine.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,404 of 1,660
  Replacing the back foam is a night and day difference. The improved bass response has floored me completely not to mention the tamed highs. My theory that because the lower serials have the higher PPI foam compared to the high serials, they become "bass heavy". I think maybe any pair can be bass heavy with the way i replaced the foam. I increased the height of the foam by 50% as an experiment because I couldn't find 80 PPI foam, just used 45 PPI aquarium foam. The PPI on this aquarium is at least higher than the higher serial foam. I used a very fine small pencil sized painter's brush to clean the old foam fragments inside of the back of the driver. The higher PPI original stock foam will leave tiny fragments on the driver no matter how well you take care of them. Therefore, depending on how it's touching the driver, rattling and buzzing will occur on lower frequencies. Even the lower serial pair I've heard to have no buzzing, I had to still clean the driver. This happens on the higher serials as well but I think less frequently. If the width of the foam is large enough, the magnet ring will hold it in place just fine.

This is very interesting! Any drawbacks to this procedure? (less treble extension, reduced transparency, anything) Is it risky this foam replacing? And what kind of foam are we talking about, open cell? Sorry for the avalanche of questions, but turning a bass light K1000 such as mine into a bass heavy one sounds so enticing!

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #1,405 of 1,660
  This is very interesting! Any drawbacks to this procedure? (less treble extension, reduced transparency, anything) Is it risky this foam replacing? And what kind of foam are we talking about, open cell? Sorry for the avalanche of questions, but turning a bass light K1000 such as mine into a bass heavy one sounds so enticing!

The drawback is removing the original foam that is specially glued into the round magnet and having to expose the driver while you're working with it. I wouldn't worry about less treble extension. The foam has to be open cell and/or reticulated. I'd imagine if you did it the proper way and somehow got your hands on 80 PPI foam, I would bet that you'd be pleasantly surprised. It's just easy to find aquarium foam at 45 PPI which should be more dense than the stock higher serial foam, at least on the pair I messed around with. If you get your hands on 80 PPI reticulated foam, let me know.

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,406 of 1,660
I searched on the web and I couldn't even find aquarium foam at 45 PPI in my country - only 30 PPI
frown.gif

How does one disassemble these K1000 in order to gain access to the back of the driver? The headphones have a pair of screws each at the bottom, I unscrew them and that's all - the white wire mesh "cups" come apart? Or is there some glue involved as well?

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,407 of 1,660
  I searched on the web and I couldn't even find aquarium foam at 45 PPI in my country - only 30 PPI
frown.gif

How does one disassemble these K1000 in order to gain access to the back of the driver? The headphones have a pair of screws each at the bottom, I unscrew them and that's all - the white wire mesh "cups" come apart? Or is there some glue involved as well?

On a pair that hasn't been opened, the wire mesh is glued to the black metal part which takes some force to pry out.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #1,408 of 1,660
Hi all,

I am new here just registered: would be glad if someone could argue about the listening experience for the different serials.

I own the black box K1000 serial 04089 mint condition, few hours listening, most of its time spent in its box.

Regards,

Alberto

Edit: sorry posted wrong serial, it's the 04089 instead of 0489

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #1,409 of 1,660
1407 posts to read...  Go for it...   
wink_face.gif

Start from The first post and work your way through.

Most of your questions will be answered.   
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back