k1000 owners club
Dec 6, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,306 of 1,660
Hi All,
I need your help, I have 3 headphones AKG K1000, one serie #029XX, second serie #079XX, third one # 10XXX; I have the following problem with the first ones: there is a distortion on the drivers, and it has a biz sound,
and I have been trying the rw-soundsystem and the land audio for order  4 new drivers,  but they don't have any on stock,
Is any body can help me with this situation or recommend what to do for get these drivers or if some member has available to sell to me; I will really appreciate all the help,
Best regards
Antonio

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,307 of 1,660
Exactly how does it distort, in all volume levels or only in high volumes? Could this be the infamous rattle issue which many K1000 users seem to have experienced? (something with the grills, where specific lower frequencies in higher volume, depending on the recording, cause a lot of vibration which leads to something reminding of distortion, often only affecting either the left or right speaker)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/521197/k1000-and-rattle
http://www.head-fi.org/t/187813/is-this-normal-in-the-k1000

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,308 of 1,660
Thanks Fogwall!
I have this problem on any range of volume, 
I already try removing the grill, and problem persist, I think it is the driver's diaphragm, may be too old, that's why I'm trying to get 4 new drivers, but there i no stock right now.
Where do you think I can get new drivers or may be somebody else can help me?

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #1,309 of 1,660
  Thanks Fogwall!
I have this problem on any range of volume, 
I already try removing the grill, and problem persist, I think it is the driver's diaphragm, may be too old, that's why I'm trying to get 4 new drivers, but there i no stock right now.
Where do you think I can get new drivers or may be somebody else can help me?

I contacted AKG sometime ago and they told me they have no more drivers in stock and non in production. The only thing you can do is buy another pair used from someone.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,310 of 1,660
Hi Dukeskd,
Thanks for helping me on this issue. It is honestly frustrating that drivers for a pair of high-end headphones like the AKG K1000 are out of stock. Since they are of such high production value, replacements for them should be available. 

Best regards,
Antonio 

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,311 of 1,660
  Hi Dukeskd,
Thanks for helping me on this issue. It is honestly frustrating that drivers for a pair of high-end headphones like the AKG K1000 are out of stock. Since they are of such high production value, replacements for them should be available. 

Best regards,
Antonio 

Hey Antonio,

From what I know, they ran out of the drivers in March or so of this year. If you had contacted them a year ago you would have had a few drivers left. They also told me the hardware that was used to make the drivers is broken and it would cost too much to fix them..

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #1,312 of 1,660
I remember reading a while ago that the problem was a little damping foam disc at the back of the driver, which tends to disintegrate in time and might need replacing. Something like that, anyway. It was mentioned here on head-fi, maybe even here in this very thread, not sure, and with a link to an Italian forum (the guy who discovered it was Italian).

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,314 of 1,660
Luckily, I've found someone who's willing to sell me a pair of k1000s with a broken driver. Now I need to find someone who can do the driver replacement (I don't have the necessary skills). Can someone suggest anyone who might have the necessary skills and patience to take on this? I'm willing to pay whatever it costs to get it done right.

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,315 of 1,660
Luckily, I've found someone who's willing to sell me a pair of k1000s with a broken driver. Now I need to find someone who can do the driver replacement (I don't have the necessary skills). Can someone suggest anyone who might have the necessary skills and patience to take on this? I'm willing to pay whatever it costs to get it done right.

Getting just one driver instead of a pair of matched drivers will lead to a few problems as each pair of drivers has different parameters that constitute their partnership..

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,317 of 1,660
yes, my plan is to replace both drivers. I should have been more clear.

I see. Well if you do gain the confidence to do it yourself, the manual (which can be found online as a pdf) presents a nice visual diagram to replacing components in the K1K. You will also need a solder therefore this can be a risky situation as you could potentially ruin the mylar diaphragm if solder is placed too long. Not sure if anyone is around to do such a job, are you situated in EU or US?

Jan 22, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #1,318 of 1,660
I'm in the US (California) but I'd be willing to ship them overseas if necessary for the job. What makes the operation difficult is that I want to replace the k1000 drivers with drivers from the k812, which have a completely different configuration. Thus, I'll need an expert to do it.

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,319 of 1,660
I'm in the US (California) but I'd be willing to ship them overseas if necessary for the job. What makes the operation difficult is that I want to replace the k1000 drivers with drivers from the k812, which have a completely different configuration. Thus, I'll need an expert to do it.

Wait wut
blink.gif
? The K1000 drivers where designed specifically to output significant volume with the capability of being juiced up by a speaker amp (just take a look at the shape of the driver and the thickness of the membrane). The K812 on the other hand aren't and I predict the sound would be mediocre or you will blow your newly placed drivers because of the high volume necessary that the completely open K1000 design demands... Anyhow if you do get this accomplished, keep us in the loop!

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,320 of 1,660
I realize it's a gamble, but it's one I'm willing to take. Moreover, I don't typically listen to my K-1000s at super high volume, and I'm fairly confident that the K812 drivers will be able to handle my volume needs. The tonality may be an issue, but I'll have to wait and see about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back