k1000 owners club
May 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #1,265 of 1,660
I think the "never been opened" had a lot to do with it. However, It's not that difficult to get something shrink wrapped...

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,267 of 1,660
I just bought a pair of K1000s (#3572).  Now I need an amp for them.  I know this will sound completely crazy, but I'd like to be able to use them portably (at least back-pack portable if not pocket portable).  I've tried them with both my portable amps (the RSA Predator and the TTVJ Portable Hybrid), and with both they sound too thin and metallic.  I need an amp that will cut down on the treble and add to the bass.  I expect what I need to do is find a small speaker amp, and power it with a battery pack.  Are there any very small amps that would do a decent job driving the K1000s?

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,268 of 1,660
Years ago there was a discussion here on HF about using the SI t-amp (and other similar amps) with the K1000. Somebody was arguing that there might be a risk involved because the t-amp was supposed to have an elevated high frequency response / high frequency noise (? - I don't remember very well...) when "seeing" a high impedance load at its speaker outputs. The suggestion at that time was to use some 4-8 ohms resistors in parallel to the K1000 in this setup so that the amp "sees" a speaker-like impedance load instead of the 120 ohms of the K1000. otherwise, the high frequency (ultrasonic) noise was presumed to be a potential risk for the K1000 drivers.

Sounds a bit fishy to me. If the K1000 are sensitive to ultrasonic noise then one shouldn't use them with NOS dacs, right? Which I've never heard mentioned... Anyway, what do you all think?

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #1,269 of 1,660
Thanks.  I was thinking about the T-Amp.  But it I've read it can be a little harsh sounding with the K1000, which is exactly what I want to avoid.  Right now I'm leaning toward the Firestone Big Joe.  Does this sound like a good idea?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #1,270 of 1,660
I think a T-amp of some kind is going to be your best best.  There are some guys that have found good synergy with amps as low as 8W but generally it seems like everyone likes something around 30W.  The Big Joe III is like 20, so it should fine.  A Winsome would be more like 50W. 

I don't think the K1000's 120 ohm impedance is going to be too high for these T-Amps.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,273 of 1,660
Quote:shipsout
There certainly never seems like "overkill" when feeding them!
smily_headphones1.gif

When feeding thoroughbreds, you need to keep the oats watts clean.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #1,275 of 1,660
I was thinking of the Big Joe V1.3 because I've read that it sounds great with the K-1000. Apparently it drives them plenty loud even at a low volume setting. I haven't read anything about the compatibility between the K 1000 and the Big Joe 3 or the Winsome. In what way would having more watts change the sound quality? Would it just make them louder, or make a qualitative difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back