k1000 owners club
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,188 of 1,660
Quote:
So far my one complaint with the K1000 is the poor dampening.  I seem to get more rattles and vibrations when listening to lower frequencies than I do with any other headphones.  The majority of listening is fine but every now and again I will hit a frequency that causes resonance and disrupts my listening experience.  Aside from that these headphones have a really realistic soundstage and image which is astounding. 

http://forum.videohifi.com/discussion/163491/akg-k-1000-sostituzione-dei-dischi-smorzanti-

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #1,189 of 1,660
I gotta say that my K1000 has withstood the test of time, and of modern competition, well. And my 101xx "non bass heavy" model is certainly not bass light, not out of my system at least.

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #1,190 of 1,660
I'm on a desperate search for a bass heavy K1000, how rare are they popping up on the ads here? I bought a Stratus from Donald with them in mind...

Jul 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,191 of 1,660
Quote:
I gotta say that my K1000 has withstood the test of time, and of modern competition, well. And my 101xx "non bass heavy" model is certainly not bass light, not out of my system at least.

I like the bass light version better. And I agree there's nothing else I'd rather listen too. I was able to hear the Senn HD800 side by side with the K1k, and that put to rest any ideas that the new stuff could compete. Honestly, it wasn't even close.

Preference might be at play so some may prefer the newer cans, and I am still open minded that something will come along. It just hasn't yet for my tastes anyway.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #1,192 of 1,660
Quote:

I like the bass light version better. And I agree there's nothing else I'd rather listen too. I was able to hear the Senn HD800 side by side with the K1k, and that put to rest any ideas that the new stuff could compete. Honestly, it wasn't even close.

Preference might be at play so some may prefer the newer cans, and I am still open minded that something will come along. It just hasn't yet for my tastes anyway.

It's funny because I thought the exact opposite. The K1000 sounds outdated compared to the HD800. I like the K1K, but lets be honest, they don't beat out the new flagships technically.

IMO, their appeal lies in their uniqueness of presentation and if that's one's preference, I can see why they'd prefer the AKG over all else.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #1,194 of 1,660
Quote:

It's funny because I thought the exact opposite. The K1000 sounds outdated compared to the HD800. I like the K1K, but lets be honest, they don't beat out the new flagships technically.

IMO, their appeal lies in their uniqueness of presentation and if that's one's preference, I can see why they'd prefer the AKG over all else.

I sold my HD800 in favor of jumping over to a K1K and I'm still amazed by how much more I like the sound of the AKG.  I know my amp (BCL) might not have been the very best, but its still not a slouch.  It's hard to put my finger on exactly what about the sound is so special but needless to say it's a magic I did not get from the HD800.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jul 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #1,195 of 1,660
I like to rotate headphones to keep things fresh. I consider the K1000 one of my flagships, unlike the K701 & HD600 they don't seem as dated/mid-fi now compared to LCD2/HD800/HE6.

Having said that I agree that the K1000 holds its charm with its unique presentation more than anything else. As transducers they might not be quite up there with today's best, but they're not slouches either. Time moves on, but the K1000's overall uniqueness will keep them from fading into obscurity. And by uniqueness I mean from their visual aesthetic, to their driving requirements, to their open presentation.

There's really never been anything quite like the K1000, and there likely never will be again. They're like the headphone version of a DeLorean or a Pontiac GTO (coincidentally created by the same guy, I wonder if he did any moonlighting for AKG
biggrin.gif
). Lots of horsepower, but not terribly efficient.

I was playing with a hardware EQ today and I slightly tilted down the top half progressively, and similarly tilted the bottom half up, leaving the mid-band untouched like a pivot point. Going through my "evaluation" playlist, the difference was subtle and I was pleased with the adjusted sound out of my K1000. But since they share the same setup as the HE6, I switched over and BOOM!

Now that's bass. Maybe it's an ortho thing but seriously,
basshead.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,196 of 1,660
I think it's simplistic thinking to say new = technically better. Stax has been making “technically better” headphones for years now. Their drivers are clearly faster, more detailed and “technically better” than any dynamic driver (or ring driver).

The Sony R10 which came out a long time ago had a computer designed housing that has yet to be matched. So, I just think its a knee jerk reaction to assume its new so it must be better even though there are really no facts being put up.

That being said, I have always felt the K-1000 hits the mark and is my favorite based on its speaker-like presentation, speed, detail, impact, its engaging sound, etc. Not because it is the best on paper. The stats don't seem to keep my attention or engage me like dynamics. Otherwise, I'd prefer them because they are amazingly resolving and detailed.

I am hopeful that something new will come out (at a reasonable price) that I will prefer, because I don't enjoy babying discontinued phones hoping they don't break or wear out.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #1,197 of 1,660
There are some other headphones that AKG made more than 25 years ago that still have the status of truly high end, at least I think so, these are AKG K340. I truly hope they will keep up their status and bring some electrostatic ear speakers out that will kill Stax for good, yeah, electrostatic K2000!
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #1,198 of 1,660
Quote:

Please elaborate

Before you read this, let me just say that the differences I noted were not earth-shattering. They were subtle, but spread over a number of areas so that the holistic sound was quite distinct between the two headphones.

The K1000 failed to render spatial cues that the HD800 could. IMO, the latter's soundstage is more recording-dependent. It can scale from relatively small to absolutely huge (quite a bit larger than the K1000). The Senns also produce a more enveloping and layered stage, filled with more microdetail. What makes the K1000s special is the complete physical separation and distancing of drivers as well as the natural crossfeed from channel mixing. This gives them a special open, speaker-like quality. However, as a transducer reproducing the space of the recording, the K1000 is significantly behind the HD800. Put another way, the K1K's presentation is almost like a wall of sound in comparison.

There are a bunch of things really which I don't have the time to delve into. Microdetail, soundstage layering, nuance, microdynamics, frequency extension...just some of the areas where there's a noticeable difference between the 800 and K1K.

The HE6, LCD2, and in some ways the T1 and SRH1840 surpass the K1000 in several areas I mentioned. But, to me, it was most apparent when comparing to the HD800.

Mike on headfonia went overboard with his criticism of the K1000 no doubt, but if you water down some of his arguments, I personally think there's some truth to them. Although, I didn't have nearly as much problems with the tone as he did, especially since I got mine recabled.

Of note, mine were the bass-heavy pair. I've never heard the bass-light version. Speaking of which, I felt mine had amazing bass punch that trumped all my other cans. Their sound was also very direct, energetic and fast with world-class macrodynamics. Again, in these specific areas, they were among the best IMO.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,199 of 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HE6, LCD2, and in some ways the T1 and SRH1840 surpass the K1000 in several areas I mentioned. But, to me, it was most apparent when comparing to the HD800.

I agree, even though I have never heard T1/1840. For myself, it's the HE6 that surpasses the HD800/LCD2/K1000. I'm thinking that (when properly driven, much like the K1000), the HE6 is at the next level beyond the rest, as they have most of the strengths of the others without any of their unique colorations. I rotate between all four headphones where I listen to just one for a few days or weeks at a time, and the HE6 is the one that lasts the longest on my head on average.

From what I have read, the HE6 might share the "next level up/new dynamic flagship" status with the TH900 and LCD3 but I haven't been fortunate enough to make that comparison for myself.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,200 of 1,660
Quote:

I agree, and would add the LCD2 to the list (never heard T1/1840). But for myself, it's the HE6 that surpasses the HD800/LCD2/K1000. I'm thinking that (when properly driven, much like the K1000), the HE6 is at the next level beyond the rest, as they have most of the strengths of the others without any of their unique colorations. I rotate between all four headphones where I listen to just one for a few days or weeks at a time, and the HE6 is the one that lasts the longest on my head on average.

From what I have read, the HE6 might share the "next level up/new dynamic flagship" status with the TH900 and LCD3 but I haven't been fortunate enough to make that comparison for myself.

Look again, the LCD2 is on my list :)

Yes, the HE6 can sound amazing with a proper setup behind them. With recent talks of high quality speaker amps, I'm not sure if I've tapped their full potential even now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back