k1000 owners club
Dec 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #1,141 of 1,660

Quote:
With all the talk about what amp is best to drive the K1000, I thought I would throw out the SAC KH1000 amp.  Mine did a much better job driving the K1000 than my Eddie Current ZDT or a Cavalli EHHA (as well as better than numerous 5-12 watt speaker amps), both costing 2-3x that of the SAC amp.  The Cavalli was second best, and the ZDT was 3rd, but none of my little speaker amps (Qinpu A-3, Travagans Red, Nuforce Icon) could do the k1000 justice like the top 3 amps I tried.  The ZDT and EHHA has just enough power at the low end, but soft on the impact, and sometimes a little muddy sounding.  The ZDT was a little dark with the K1000 as well, even with my brightest tubes.

I kept the amp for so long because it can power my HE-6 too and is fantastic with Balanced HD600, plus I thought I was going to buy another K1000 someday, but my Stax SR-009 shipped to me today and the idea of another K1000 is on the back burner again.  I apologize for the intrusion here, and it wont be proper for me to respond to inquiries in the forum (so I wont), but if anyone is interested in buying mine just PM me.

I totally agree with Larry.  I've had my SAC KH1000amp for over a year and nothing I have compares to it for driving me K 1000's.  I have taken this setup to several meets and everyone is blown away by the sound signature.
And YES, you can still purchase it 'new' as I did.  Go to the site mentioned above and you'll find that they not only will build you an amp, but you can have it modified like I did to accept both XLR AND regular dynamic inputs.
They will also provide the required North American cables that you may need for this amp.  I'm VERY pleased with the amp and the service provided.

Here's the link again: 
http://www.sac.de/sac/start_frame.php?Pfad=2_4_79&BL=4
PS: Ask for Axel

Dec 5, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #1,142 of 1,660
I totally agree with Larry.  I've had my SAC KH1000amp for over a year and nothing I have compares to it for driving me K 1000's.  I have taken this setup to several meets and everyone is blown away by the sound signature.
And YES, you can still purchase it 'new' as I did.  Go to the site mentioned above and you'll find that they not only will build you an amp, but you can have it modified like I did to accept both XLR AND regular dynamic inputs.
They will also provide the required North American cables that you may need for this amp.  I'm VERY pleased with the amp and the service provided.

Here's the link again: 
http://www.sac.de/sac/start_frame.php?Pfad=2_4_79&BL=4
PS: Ask for Axel

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #1,143 of 1,660
Well, I'm listening to my HE-5 LE with the SAC amp right now, and the combo is good enough that I'm re-considering whether I want to sell the amp.  It has a bigger soundstage than the HiFiMan EF5 amp when driving these phones, and a little more micro-detail as well.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #1,144 of 1,660
Is the anybody else out the who's using his K1000's from an O2 headphone amp ? It's quite good in my opinion, the amp stays in the background, no driving issues for me, although I feel like something is missing, but quite descent sound for the price, worth a try 
smile.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #1,145 of 1,660

Quote:
Is the anybody else out the who's using his K1000's from an O2 headphone amp ? It's quite good in my opinion, the amp stays in the background, no driving issues for me, although I feel like something is missing, but quite descent sound for the price, worth a try 
smile.gif

The O2 amp puts out 640mW into 80ohms so I don't think its enough to really get the K1000's out to their full potential.  However, take that with a grain of salt.  I've never heard the K1000's.  My guess is that it will sound bass-light using the O2.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #1,147 of 1,660

Quote:
Actually it's quite good, the only thing I think i could be better is channel separation, and the highs could be better, but it's only a headphone amp !

Have you done any A/B comparisons with some sort of high-quality 100W/channel stereo amp?  I'd be interested to see how the O2 fares.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #1,148 of 1,660
I've not yet done any direct comparisons yet, but I've heard if from an OCM 500 amplifier, and I can tell you that the sound signature was very similar, I'm gonna need to compare them side by side to tell what's are the differences exactly.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #1,151 of 1,660

Quote:
What the hell this guy are talking about?

He makes a few good points (about technical aspects and such), but IMO, he went overboard. These are nowhere near as bad as he makes them sound.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #1,152 of 1,660
I read that review and was surprised to see him bashing the speaker driver. I don't believe he understands the design of the unique transducers in the K1000, which are unlike anything before or after them in headphones. He should read the original literature and manufacturer's comments from the Stereophile review, where the engineer explains their design. Among other unique features, the rear of the K1000 has more open area and less impeded than any other magnet structure by using a ring magnet structure. It also doesn't create a confined air volume like other headphones with earpads.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,153 of 1,660
Most harsh review of a legendary headphone I ever read! I have not heard the K1000 but is/was on my short list to buy at a decent price. Sadly even though I think a good part of his review is bogus in one way or another has an effect. What a very strong emphasis the driver being not up to speed because of its age and how new headphones are so much better. I think he is blowing smoke with this unless it was 60's or 70's headphones.

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,154 of 1,660
hey guys been thinking about this for a while but im not sure if it is a good idea to change stock cable or is it really the pigtail that is the real garbage part of the cabling, seem lots of people here go with either SAA or black clover from fitz. But has anyone tried moon's black dragon, im heading that direction but some more input would be great.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #1,155 of 1,660
Whether or not I read that review, which I did... the K1000 is still on my list of headphones to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back