k1000 owners club
Nov 15, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #1,096 of 1,660
Yes more BL/BH comparisons please.
popcorn.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,098 of 1,660

More bass can give the impression of less clarity sometimes; do you feel this was the case or was there inherently more detail in the BL version? Could you, for example, make the BH version sound the same as the BL by EQ'ing a portion of the bass down?

It is possible that the bass kind of muddied things up a bit giving the perception of less clarity. I don't have access to both in order to do the EQ experiment. 

As blackmore stated, the difference between the BH and BL is very minimal. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,100 of 1,660
Here's a short thread from a few years back:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/222182/akg-bap-1000-has-anyone-heard-it-with-the-k1000

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #1,103 of 1,660
I first bought a BL S/N 10xxx with stock cables and pig tails a few years ago. Enjoyed them for 2 years but got curious about the BH after reading reviews by fellow Headfiers. So bought one BH S/N 11xx fully cabled with Stefan Audio Art Equinox no less to compare.

Had them both side by side for 6 months for indepth comparison albeit on modest source and amp, Shanling MC-30. Results:

> The difference in low bass was inconclusive
> The mid range on the BH sounded  more recess in comparison to the BL
> The BH sounded grainier in comparison
> Sound staging was even
> Highs was the usual K1000 character, equally on the bright side for both on some materials
> On the whole the BL sounded more alluring to my ears

I am not sure why the results of my comparison deviates from the previous opinions, maybe its the length of my comparison or it is just my ears. So unsurprisingly, I sold the "BH" and bought a Stax O2 Mk1 to complement the BL K1000 and am now enjoying both.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #1,104 of 1,660
I suspect the cable made them sound like this.

Quote:
I first bought a BL S/N 10xxx with stock cables and pig tails a few years ago. Enjoyed them for 2 years but got curious about the BH after reading reviews by fellow Headfiers. So bought one BH S/N 11xx fully cabled with Stefan Audio Art Equinox no less to compare.

Had them both side by side for 6 months for indepth comparison albeit on modest source and amp, Shanling MC-30. Results:

> The difference in low bass was inconclusive
> The mid range on the BH sounded  more recess in comparison to the BL
> The BH sounded grainier in comparison
> Sound staging was even
> Highs was the usual K1000 character, equally on the bright side for both on some materials
> On the whole the BL sounded more alluring to my ears

I am not sure why the results of my comparison deviates from the previous opinions, maybe its the length of my comparison or it is just my ears. So unsurprisingly, I sold the "BH" and bought a Stax O2 Mk1 to complement the BL K1000 and am now enjoying both.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,106 of 1,660
Regarding tiga3mata's findings:

I remember reading some time ago the comments of Nik, a head-fier who was quite enthusiastic with his K1000s' at the time. So much so that he bought 5 pairs! He was claiming that they all sound more or less different to each other, and not necessarily in an obvious relation to their serial number. I think he preferred a pair with high serial number, 10xxx or something like that iirc. In my memory there is a faint trace of an impression that another head-fier made a similar comment on his many K1000s. However, most of the people agree that there are two versions of K1000 around: an earlier "bass heavy" and the later "bass light". I wonder if it's not possible that everyone is right, that is, there were many small variations in the production of the K1000 over time, that translated into slightly different sounding K1000s, but also there was a statistical tendency for the earlier production phones to have a more pronounced bass than the later ones. This would also explain why some people say the difference between BL and BH phones is minimal, while others claim it's very significant, I think somebody even approximated it to a (roughly) 5dB bass boost in the BH headphones over the BL ones.

What do you all think? 

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,107 of 1,660
I have both BH & BL and ther is a significant difference in the bass.
One fellow headfier heard the BL first, and then the BH, and commented that now he can hear all the music instead of only half.

That is a tad severe, but illustrates the point quite succinctly.

Check my sig for serial numbers.....

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #1,108 of 1,660
[size=10pt][size=10pt]For me, this proofs that we hear things differently only, cos I never felt like [/size][size=medium]hear of only half[/size][size=10pt] with any K1000 I owned or tried. AKG, as you may know, offered an personal hear test that could be programmed on the chip and then you could use it with your AKG system and hear things that been based and adjusted pure on and for your own hearings. I never tried such thing, however I could, when I bought their Digital HEARO wireless model, which I still have, where you can put the chip card inside the transmitter and use this option, if you like.[/size][/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt][size=10pt]There is another thing that may plays a huge part here, but been not pointed often enough, correct me if I am wrong, and that is the fact that lower series K1000 may also have more listening time, because it was a very new and very intriguing back then. Later, it was less and less promoted and almost all K1000 I came across are / were in very good condition, some even totally NOS, which were stored for years without any use. I also believe in an placebo effect here, often you hear something been said, stronger you believe in it, that's very human and nothing wrong with that at all. I am not saying that this is the fact in all situations, but in some it is.[/size][/size]

Quote:
I have both BH & BL and ther is a significant difference in the bass.
One fellow headfier heard the BL first, and then the BH, and commented that now he can hear all the music instead of only half.

That is a tad severe, but illustrates the point quite succinctly.

Check my sig for serial numbers.....

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #1,110 of 1,660

Quote:
Regarding tiga3mata's findings:

I remember reading some time ago the comments of Nik, a head-fier who was quite enthusiastic with his K1000s' at the time. So much so that he bought 5 pairs! He was claiming that they all sound more or less different to each other, and not necessarily in an obvious relation to their serial number. I think he preferred a pair with high serial number, 10xxx or something like that iirc. In my memory there is a faint trace of an impression that another head-fier made a similar comment on his many K1000s. However, most of the people agree that there are two versions of K1000 around: an earlier "bass heavy" and the later "bass light". I wonder if it's not possible that everyone is right, that is, there were many small variations in the production of the K1000 over time, that translated into slightly different sounding K1000s, but also there was a statistical tendency for the earlier production phones to have a more pronounced bass than the later ones. This would also explain why some people say the difference between BL and BH phones is minimal, while others claim it's very significant, I think somebody even approximated it to a (roughly) 5dB bass boost in the BH headphones over the BL ones.

What do you all think? 

All valid comments. Demonstrates the point that while it is good to solicit opinions.... the final arbiter should be your ears with your equipment. I have found in my experience that reviews by other members are good source of info for broad sound signature and obvious emphasis or deficiencies eg. the brightness of K1K. But when it comes to subtle nuances especially in comparison to different versions of same models than it becomes less relevant and depends much more on personal preferences, supporting system, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back