k1000 owners club
Nov 13, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #572 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what things does the HD800 do better than the K1000?

Imaging is more precise, a bit more height perception in the soundstage, bass goes deeper, very good detail retrieval.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #573 of 1,660
Sorry,i know i'm annoying
bigsmile_face.gif

but i'm obsessed,and have to know which of the two is better,i promise never to ask for another HD800 and K1000 comparison or just PM people instead
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NVM, I'm just repeating myself...

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #574 of 1,660
disagree 100% - total opposite here
tongue.gif
i must need a better amp for my 800...detail retrieval on k1000 is ridiculous, my 800 does not beat it in that regard most obviously

imo the 800 is a more 'all-rounder' and much more forgiving and will play nicely with a wider range of musical styles, the 800, to use a cliche, actually is a more toe tapping headphone for sure, more fun and less serious than the k1k - bass? i for one wouldnt want any more bass in a headphone than the k1k currently offers me, its depth is eye rolling and i find the 800 to fuzzy and less defined in that regard, sometimes.

tongue_smile.gif

gotta love subjective opinions!

beerchug.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imaging is more precise, a bit more height perception in the soundstage, bass goes deeper, very good detail retrieval.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #575 of 1,660
Polar opposites for sure
very_evil_smiley.gif
; the HD800 is just barely toe tapping and is far more serious to listen to than the K1000 in my system. K1000 bass is lot of things, enjoyable is one of them but "eye rolling depth" is not something I have ever experienced with them on any of the +/- 10 amps I have used them with. They do have excellent bass impact, better than the HD800 so far but the latter has it beat for depth.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #576 of 1,660
For me the big difference between the K1000's and most headphones I've heard is their dynamic capabilities (I've heard the term used a few times and liked it so I'll try to explain). The term has nothing to do with the fact that the K1000's are a dynamic headphone. It describes the headphones ability to reveal low level detail very clearly in a way that it is discernible (perhaps anonymous and discrete) in the context of everything else going on in the music. It's not exactly resolution as I find many headphones that resolve well (e.g. DT48's which I own, and HD800's which I've heard, among others) don't posses the dynamic capacity of the K1000's. While they reveal the detail, they do so in a way that forces you to find it. In these instances the detail is sort of muddled into the mix. On the contrary the K1000's present sound in a very level spectrum. That is to say, that detail and microdetail, despite being naturally much softer, appear with as much significance and presence as anything else (louder instruments) in the mix. Experientially I find my self spending more time letting music unfold and less time tuning into specific instruments to find certain details. The K1000's resolve in such a way that the detail simply appears and the experience is quite startling and visceral.

Perhaps all I'm describing is a successful combination of resolution and imaging. It works for me like no headphone I've heard.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #577 of 1,660
Lastly I think only a couple headphones are more detailed than the K1000's -- the O2's being one of them. In my experiences with the O2's I've found myself reveling in their detail retrieval and liquidity. I couldn't determine whether the ladder was a positive characteristic or an unnatural and sort of compressed sound signature. Reflecting on my experiences with the O2's, they are a obviously amazing as has been stated countless times before. They are definitely immersive but not like the K1000's. To compare the listening experiences, with the O2's on I felt as though I was observing the music and really appreciating it in its entirety. With the K1000's music is less of a critical appreciation and more of a religious experience. The O2's are great if you take pleasure in the individual vibrations of Norah Jones's larynx and like to reflect on them as they happen. The K1000's do all that while simultaneously reminding you that music is noise by captivating you in the moment of listening.

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #579 of 1,660
they vary dependant on condition, but thats a great price for a 'mint' set imo Quote:

Originally Posted by aRRR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do most of K1000's go for these days? Is 1100$ USD a good price for a in mint condition K1000?

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #580 of 1,660
I haven't heard the HD800 except briefly under meet (poor) conditions, but to me the k1000 is, I agree, a very dynamic headphone. By that I mean it handles dynamic transitions with ease. No strain on very loud passages, and quiet passages can be just as gripping. Also reveals microdynamics---small changes in dynamics over the course of a phrase that are so critical to conveying excellent musicianship. (I listen mostly to classical.)

My amp is the Audio Note P2SE, a class A singled-ended pentode with doubled-up output tubes, producing 18 watts.

The K1000 bass seems to depend largely on how close you put the drivers to your ears. In the inward position (my preference) the bass is deep, and has good pitch delineation. In the outward position the bass is vague and loses pitch definition.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #581 of 1,660
^^ agreed. Much of the music I listen to is progressive, fast paced, guitar, piano and/or modern orchestral. It's really engaging to be able to hear certain details that reveal the musician's efforts to stay on pace during fast phrases. I also agree about angling the drivers (I pretty much don't).

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #582 of 1,660
I've been experiencing pain where the K1000 pads grip my head. I have a chronic muscle pain condition so I'm more sensitive to this than most people.

I have tried to do something about it. At first I tried bending the drivers outward to reshape the frame and reduce the pressure. That helped.

But then I had an insight. The pads are not flat, but little wedges. If you think about this, it makes no sense. What it means is that the pad will contact your head with a much smaller area... only the thickest part of the wedge contacts your head. (AKG seems to do ergonomically idiotic things sometimes, like the bumps on the K701.) And, my K1000 is old (serial number about 4000) so the pads are softened. Basically my head is being gripped by two hard points of plastic on each side. No wonder it hurts!

So I removed the pads and have been experimenting with putting foam there. Flat foam. A more sensible shape.

Also, I didn't realize this was true at first... I was astonished to discover that you can slide the pads apart so they are separated in space by a couple inches. Didn't know it could do that. By itself, that didn't help my problem, but once I put sensible foam there it may help.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #583 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I didn't realize this was true at first... I was astonished to discover that you can slide the pads apart so they are separated in space by a couple inches. Didn't know it could do that. By itself, that didn't help my problem, but once I put sensible foam there it may help.

The spacing reduces the grip somewhat. In my case, to the point of transparent comfort. Someone had used cotton balls taped to the pads to soften up.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #584 of 1,660
I am not fully agree that by placing the drivers closer to your ears will deliver more or better bass. To me it very dependable of each system they are using with and if the system matches, but also pretty transparent, then the record quality is the most important thing you can face it when you talking about bass and the rest...I don't use them closed, 50% open mostly, but if I want more fun, not bass, than I pull them 100% open and still amazed about their image, these are ear speakers and no other headphone, at least so far, could come closer to such natural image of stage and everything on it. And when you use them fully closed you kill a lot of their potentials, but than again, depends on the system and preferences maybe.

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #585 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not fully agree that by placing the drivers closer to your ears will deliver more or better bass.

Hi Blackmore, what kind of music do you usually listen to?

I listen to classical, and the tonal balance of the lower mids/upper bass is just vastly improved in the inward position. Timbre differentiation is vastly improved. And deep bass, very deep bass like orchestral bass drums, is vastly improved.

Quote:

And when you use them fully closed you kill a lot of their potentials, but than again, depends on the system and preferences maybe.

I agree you kill much of their potential for imaging, but they are still much better than an ordinary headphone, because their imaging has a "open" quality. It doesn't sound like everything is "closed into your head."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back