K1000 amps: First Watt F1 & Red Wine Audio Signature 30 (A mini-blog)
Oct 2, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #121 of 176
I'll get there eventually hehe, I'm not made of money. I actually was saving for a balanced tube amp (which I'll also be using as a pre for K1000) for my PS-1s when this came around and set me back to 0...it was too good a deal to pass up.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #123 of 176
Any fellow K1000 owners wanting to upgrade cables for their balanced amp, I just put my Transparent Audio ML SUPER up for sale or trade for silver single end cable. Details at this link.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #124 of 176
I just bought the AudioPath 8-wire silver IC from Hudson Audio. Cable comes with Eichman Silver Bullets ($275).

Both Red Wine and Omega use AudioPath cables internally in their products, as well as to demonstrate their wares at tradeshows. It's also the same cable Vinnie sells for the RWA modded iPod.

8wiresilveric.gif

The cable works extremely well with my Wadia / Sig 30 combo, adding bass impact + depth, detail and a signifcantly expanded soundstage. In fact, adding this cable to the Signature 30 went a long way toward bridging the gap between the Signature 30 and F1 in the areas where the F1 excelled. And I sense no loss of intimacy in the critical midrange that I so love in my Sig 30.

I've also decided to fully leverage the Sig 30 for 2ch playback, so I've been selling off my previous 2ch gear. I've now ordered a pair of Omega Compact Hemps (single drivers) and Skyland stands.

compactHemp.gif

I also have Antiwire cable on order to see how it performs as a budget stereo cable (I even hope to try Anti-cable for my K1000 pigtail).

BTW: The 6moons gave the Signature 30 a well deserved "Best of 2006" nomination... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bo06/srajan.html

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #125 of 176
Great buy! I wonder what they would do for the F1.

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #127 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought the AudioPath 8-wire silver IC from Hudson Audio. Cable comes with Eichman Silver Bullets ($275).

Both Red Wine and Omega use AudioPath cables internally in their products, as well as to demonstrate their wares at tradeshows. It's also the same cable Vinnie sells for the RWA modded iPod.

8wiresilveric.gif

The cable works extremely well with my Wadia / Sig 30 combo, adding bass impact + depth, detail and a signifcantly expanded soundstage. In fact, adding this cable to the Signature 30 went a long way toward bridging the gap between the Signature 30 and F1 in the areas where the F1 excelled. And I sense no loss of intimacy in the critical midrange that I so love in my Sig 30.

I've also decided to fully leverage the Sig 30 for 2ch playback, so I've been selling off my previous 2ch gear. I've now ordered a pair of Omega Compact Hemps (single drivers) and Skyland stands.

compactHemp.gif

I also have Antiwire cable on order to see how it performs as a budget stereo cable (I even hope to try Anti-cable for my K1000 pigtail).

BTW: The 6moons gave the Signature 30 a well deserved "Best of 2006" nomination... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bo06/srajan.html

you are going to love the compact hemps from Omega, Louis makes a kick butt speaker. I have the Super Hemps and they are outstanding.

I am thinking about of First Watt amps for either the k1000s or the Omega Hemps speaker rig.

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #128 of 176
I made an interesting DIY pigtail for my K1000s. Cost about $20, and the sonic results were very favorable. Here's a link to details.

antifrontep5.jpg

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #130 of 176
Quote:

I made an interesting DIY pigtail for my K1000s. Cost about $20, and the sonic results were very favorable. Here's a link to details.

antifrontep5.jpg

Is your K1000 using the stock cable? (refering to the hardwired part to the headphone)

I'm using a Kimber Kable DIY'ed extension right now, your DIY one looks interesting.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #131 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your K1000 using the stock cable? (refering to the hardwired part to the headphone)

I'm using a Kimber Kable DIY'ed extension right now, your DIY one looks interesting.

Yes, the black hardwire portion is stock. I'm interested in going to a hardwire upgrade, but reluctant without being able to hear it first. The pigtail was a significant improvement.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #132 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are going to love the compact hemps from Omega, Louis makes a kick butt speaker. I have the Super Hemps and they are outstanding.

I am thinking about of First Watt amps for either the k1000s or the Omega Hemps speaker rig.

When you guys are ready to sell your RWA Sig 30's, let me know.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #133 of 176
Quote:

Yes, the black hardwire portion is stock. I'm interested in going to a hardwire upgrade, but reluctant without being able to hear it first. The pigtail was a significant improvement.

Good to hear it was a nice improvement. I have nothing to compare my Kimber Kable to, but it sounds fine on my end.

I'm thinking of DIY'ing the one that you have made, 4 feet is the length I was going to go for as well, stiffness isn't a problem since I sit close to my setup and really only need the K1000's hardwired cable to be flexible.

I'm assuming you just wired it according to the K1000 manual?

1- left+
2- left-
3- right+
4- right-

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you guys are ready to sell your RWA Sig 30's, let me know.
wink.gif

There was one on Audiogon yesterday, for a little over $1000 (without remote control)

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #134 of 176
I went sig 30 and I am overwhelmed by the improvement it made it both my k1000 rig and my speaker rig. Dynamics and timbre are two of the immediate things that pop out of this amp right from the get go.

I have not heard the F1 or F3 sp it's not fair for me to comment on them but so far the RWA Signature 30 is the best I have heard out of my speakers or my k1000s.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #135 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you just wired it according to the K1000 manual?

1- left+
2- left-
3- right+
4- right-

Yes. The hard part was stripping the red coating. Anti-cable recommends a dull knife, cutting board, and lots of patience.

I used the back of a tool on an old WWII Navy knife that had a 90 degree edge (two flat surfaces came together to form a 90 degree angle). I then used that edge to drag-off the red coating. [I found that dragging the edge rather than pushing the edge worked best for me.]

Then I wrapped the L & R wires for each channel at 2-4 turns per foot (recommended on their Web site to increase the high-end). Then a did a second wrap of the two channels to form a single bundle for the majority of the run (follow the orginal link to see more pictures of the completed cable).

BTW: Used Cardas silver solder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back