K1000 amps: First Watt F1 & Red Wine Audio Signature 30 (A mini-blog)
Aug 3, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by JzzMaTzz
Yeah I know but I want it all
very_evil_smiley.gif
SACD, DVDA.....

If you got the bucks, Wadia's new units do this (I think). I've not yet experienced anything other than CDs in my system, so I'm content (for now).

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #17 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Lol, I can't even hope of affording that anytime soon, I got my SM-70 Pro for about $600! It goes for about $1000 new. I was just asking because I was wondering if it was worth saving for -- as in if there were more than 100 being made.

I can unconditionally recommend the Aleph 3, one of Nelson Pass's other amps, "related" to the F1, so to speak. There's also the Aleph 30, another, more "affordable" option, which was designed by, but not actually built by, Pass Labs, but still bears their monniker. Someone says they even prefer it to the 3, despite this. I believe the reconditioned 30s run for around $900. That may be more within your ballpark.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 176
It's actually not. Nothing is in my ballpark atm. And I already have the SM-70 Pro, it sounds damn good. Midrange, highs soundstage and everything. VOcals do not sound nasal at all, which they are said to with an amp that does not match well.

You can check out the SM-70 Pro here:
http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

Just click on "SM-70 Pro" in the upper left.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #19 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I would look into a custom singlepower preamp. I got one with everything but balanced in/out, as I'm not running balanced. Specs as follow:

Attenuator Impedance: 25K Ohm, series 24 position, gold contact
Channel Matching: less than .01% channel to channel
Distortion: none, so low that it is unmeasurable, 0%
Silver Solder used in all areas
Pure copper conductors
Large Silver contact selector switch

If what you are looking at is better and more expensive, I am sorry, like I said I'm very new to amps/preamps that are good with the K1000. The price of the passive preamp I got was $600.

Did the preamp route, an active one, after comparisons with my cd players volume control I prefered going direct.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
If you got the bucks, Wadia's new units do this (I think). I've not yet experienced anything other than CDs in my system, so I'm content (for now).

Wadia's 581 is on my list but they may or may not do DVDA. APL denon 3910 is a possible option.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 176
"The Signature 30 accepts single end only. But like the F1, its outputs are balanced."

Well, yeah, it is basically a pimped out T-Amp right?

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox

Srajan addresses this to some degree in his Sig 30 review. It does use the same technology. Although I do not think that its the same chip.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 176
Another thing, be aware that with lot of Pass Labs' stuff, you have to have a volume control on your preamp/linestaged source.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
"The Signature 30 accepts single end only. But like the F1, its outputs are balanced."

In addition to being a different chipset, I believe that this amp is an integrated, so I would think that it includes either two tripath chips, or a class A preamp. Something along those lines. Perhaps it runs both the pre and the power amps off the same chip, but I don't know if that would work or not. Either way, it will have somewhat similar tonal characteristics to the SI models, but with a lot more oomph, and probably significantly more body.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #25 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
In addition to being a different chipset, I believe that this amp is an integrated, so I would think that it includes either two tripath chips, or a class A preamp. Something along those lines. Perhaps it runs both the pre and the power amps off the same chip, but I don't know if that would work or not.

Vinnie is pretty clear that this does not include a preamp / line stage (see earlier thread on attenuator). I have tried with both my Wadia and a midfi Dennon CD changer. Both drive the unit well at the 12:00 to 1:00 position. So -- as Vinnie indicated in the earlier thread -- many may prefer to drive this unit directly from their source.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Vinnie is pretty clear that this does not include a preamp / line stage (see earlier thread on attenuator). I have tried with both my Wadia and a midfi Dennon CD changer. Both drive the unit well at the 12:00 to 1:00 position. So -- as Vinnie indicated in the earlier thread -- many may prefer to drive this unit directly from their source.

Huh. I stand corrected. That's interesting though. Most poweramps I've heard sound bad, or at least not as good without a preamp. Doesn't your Wadia have a linestage built-in, though?

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #27 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Huh. I stand corrected. That's interesting though. Most poweramps I've heard sound bad, or at least not as good without a preamp. Doesn't your Wadia have a linestage built-in, though?

Yes, the Wadia is over engineered by design, intending to eliminate the need to use a separate line stage (kind of less is more philosophy). My unit puts out a max of 4.25 volts, which is about the same as your typical headamp. I’ve tried the Wadia at several gain settings, and find that both the 1 volt rms and 2.13 volt rms work well (when using the 2.13 volt setting, I typically use the digital volume control to reduce gain). So my guess is that anything in the 1 -2 volt range will be a good candidate for directly driving the Sig 30.

I also recommend anyone wanting to know more about their particular situation contact Vinnie directly (via e-mail). He has been very helpful in my decision process and system setup.

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #28 of 176
what volt range are you using to drive the F1?

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #29 of 176
I know that I may sound like a broken record, but you really need to try the K1000s in your setup with upgraded cabling.

At a minimum, get rid of that terrible extension cable. I originally cut my extension cable back to six inches, just enough to connect to the F1. Even that made a discernable difference.

Any of course doing a complete hardwire recabling (although challenging for all but the heartiest DIYer) really makes a huge difference.

k1000smile.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #30 of 176
I don't mean to reign on your blog but..
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back