JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Dec 6, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,906 of 1,936

Thank you for making me go back to the FXH30 for some serious listening. I've been spending all my time with the KZ ZS1, HDS1 and ED3c since they arrived a couple week ago.

I can't agree with those observations at all, mind you I'm comparing to the 60/80, not the 70, and do not use the stock tips. Wide bore tips are an absolute necessity with the FXH30. The stock tips hold them back considerably. I've also got at least a couple hundred hours or more on them by now.

Yes the FXH30 has greater bass emphasis (midbass most notably), but it is exceptionally quick, nimble, and unlike the FXDs is there in more realistic quantities with live music. They're close I guess, but the FXDs lack the texture and control of the FXH30.

The FXD series iems are also extremely thin in the treble and mids. This is a nice trick for enhancing detail and making them sound more spacious and accurate, but it's just a trick. The FXH30 keeps that detail, has a similarly sized soundstage (ie. not large), greater depth and outstandingly well defined layers, and adds much needed weight and thickness making them sound immeasurably more natural and realistic.

The largest improvement over the FXDs is in their timbre and texture, and smoothing out that painful treble (something JVC has done for many of their current-gen iems). Listening to an orchestra for example, I find it's noticeably easier to pick out and listen to individual instruments. With the FXDs the emphasis is so focused on the razer sharp treble and upper mids that deeper instruments just get overshadowed and lost. There is also that metallic edge they put on everything. Very uncomfortable, especially with metal and thrash in particular. Thrown on some Vortex or Thrashfire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVimw69CL9Q) and the FXDs become a bit of a mess. With the FXH everything is still well-defined, drums actually have some kick and realistic decay, and vocals have some breadth and weight. The FXH30 can handle some seriously busy and dynamic music with ease. There is a reason they got me back into metal. Nothing I own, especially the FXDs, comes close to handling it as competently as the FXH30. I imagine the FXH20 would be even better for metal given their reduced bass, though crunchy electric guitar riffs sounds f'ing phenomenal with the FXH30.

The biggest knock I have against the FXD series is just how thin they sound. There's just no weight to them. The brightness I can work with.

The FXH30 would benefit from a wider and taller soundstage.

@yacobx The FXH30 do not lack subbass at all. I love my deep, obscenely rumbly subbass (KZ ZS1 is amazing for this!), and never feel like the FXH30 needs more. More is always better, but not needed in this case 
biggrin.gif

All of this is my opinion of course, and I completely respect yours @Sweden, but outside of better build quality the FXD series feels a bit weightless next to their successor. I just can't see any situation where I'd recommend an FXD over the FXH.

Its obvious that you have a special place in your hear for the fxh, I guess one of the other turn offs for me is the design of the headphone. I wear all my earphones over my ears and i dont think its possible with those. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #1,907 of 1,936
Its obvious that you have a special place in your hear for the fxh, I guess one of the other turn offs for me is the design of the headphone. I wear all my earphones over my ears and i dont think its possible with those. 

Yup. They dethroned the Titan 1 by offering just as good an experience at half the price.

The FXH are at their best worn over ear. Very easy to do. Worn down I have a tough time getting the best possible seal.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,908 of 1,936
Yup. They dethroned the Titan 1 by offering just as good an experience at half the price.

The FXH are at their best worn over ear. Very easy to do. Worn down I have a tough time getting the best possible seal.

But does the little thing stick out of your ear when your wear them cable up?

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,911 of 1,936
Hey guys, so my FRD80 kind of broke couple of days ago. The work with my Macbook air but they do not work with my Nexus 4, Moto G, Moto E and some other Dell laptop. My nexus 4 recognizes them but it plays like it's only half connected. Moto G does not recognize them at all and the Moto E recognizes them but it does not play anything. I just find it odd and wanted to ask if you don't know what up with them.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,912 of 1,936
  Hey guys, so my FRD80 kind of broke couple of days ago. The work with my Macbook air but they do not work with my Nexus 4, Moto G, Moto E and some other Dell laptop. My nexus 4 recognizes them but it plays like it's only half connected. Moto G does not recognize them at all and the Moto E recognizes them but it does not play anything. I just find it odd and wanted to ask if you don't know what up with them.

seams like its just a problem with the switch. I have no idea how to fix that. you could recable the ear buds if you wanted to keep them. maybe use copper to warm up the sound a bit.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,914 of 1,936
you have ruined me.... now all i can think about is buying the fxh30...... 

Hahaha...sorry mate. If you do get them at some point, I hope you enjoy them.

I've got some good gear in right now; revised Havi B3 Pro 1, Titan 3 and 5. Going back to the FXH30 after reviewing those will be a good test I think. Should put things more into perspective vs. The time that has passed since my initial review.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,915 of 1,936
Hahaha...sorry mate. If you do get them at some point, I hope you enjoy them.

I've got some good gear in right now; revised Havi B3 Pro 1, Titan 3 and 5. Going back to the FXH30 after reviewing those will be a good test I think. Should put things more into perspective vs. The time that has passed since my initial review.

revised havi b3 pro 1? what do you mean? also, please let me know your follow up thoughts :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,916 of 1,936
  revised havi b3 pro 1? what do you mean? also, please let me know your follow up thoughts :)

Apparently Havi snuck out a revised B3 earlier in the year, or maybe it was last year? I'll have to look into that again. Anyways, it's supposed to offer up slightly improved sound quality. @Baycodehelped hook me up with a review pair and so far I'm really liking them despite their, uh...very conservative bass quantity. I'll have that review up after I post my Titan 3 and 5 reviews. Those should be up pretty quickly since I have to send them off to the next reviewer in line next week.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #1,917 of 1,936

Apparently Havi snuck out a revised B3 earlier in the year, or maybe it was last year? I'll have to look into that again. Anyways, it's supposed to offer up slightly improved sound quality. @Baycodehelped hook me up with a review pair and so far I'm really liking them despite their, uh...very conservative bass quantity. I'll have that review up after I post my Titan 3 and 5 reviews. Those should be up pretty quickly since I have to send them off to the next reviewer in line next week.

hmmmmm, please sooner than later :)

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #1,919 of 1,936
I'm on my 2nd pair of HA-FXD70 with some foam earbuds from ebay, and I love them. I love the sound, I love the cable collector, I love the clip, I love the durability. I'm not even much of an audiophile, frankly. But when it comes to these IEMs, they have held up remarkably despite heavy use and they are just so functional. 

But I really miss a remote, especially now in the winter when I have gloves and prefer to have the phone in a pocket during my walks or commuting. I've heard there's an FXD80 with a remote, but why is there no FXD70 with a remote?

Anyone have any recommendations on alternatives to the FXD70 which has a remote?

Jan 19, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,920 of 1,936

Users who are viewing this thread

Back