JVC Xtreme Xplosives, Are They As Good As Some Say?
Jun 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

biggbenn74

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, Head-Fi!

I'm new here and I just have a few quick questions about the JVC Xtreme Xplosives earbuds.
First, some claim they deliver the best bass for the price, what other options are out there if not?
Second, does the bass muddy up into the mids? Or does it just seem to be more prominent?
Third, I have seen them on Amazon for just ten bucks, think they could be fake?
Fourth, I listen to all kinds of music, but a lot of bass-oriented music, and when I saw these, I paused. Are these earbuds just good for bass-oriented music or are they even any good for blues, classical or even smooth jazz?
Fifth, would my Fiio E7 properly drive them, or would that just be unnecessary?
Thank you, guys! I'm looking forward to my time here on Head-Fi! 

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 19
I would try out the FX101. Not only cheaper but sound is much better over the older FX1X. You can listen to more than just bass heavy tunes on the FX101. The FX1X is ok for the price but the FX101 has the better over all cleaner more refined sound of the 2.  They do need a good burn in.. Good luck

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 19
Thank you, guys. I think I'll be buying a pair Friday. The FX101's. They seem like an excellent choice for me. And at 15 bucks, I can't argue with that. Again, awesome responses!

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 19
Ya you can read what many guys have to say about those and other on this thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-the-jvc-ha-fx40-page-83-jvc-ha-fx101-page-96/2325#post_8470890

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 19
Don't listen to dsnuts, what.he's calling "burn-in" is a. Actually called "break-in", and b. Has been.proven not to make an audible difference.

Hope you enjoy your new phones.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Don't listen to dsnuts, what.he's calling "burn-in" is a. Actually called "break-in", and b. Has been.proven not to make an audible difference.

Could you direct me to the proof about burn in?

Thanks, Jim

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Lol seriously? Just yesterday I compared my burned in pair of FX101s to a friend's brand new pair, and the difference was obvious to both of us. I'm pretty sure there's no scientific proof for or against the idea of burn in, but I believe what my ears tell me.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Well, to me, the whole break-in/ burn-in thing is new to me, to be honest. I just got a new set of AKG Q701's (profile pic taken by me) and I have been listening to them for about 10 hours now. They sound great with my also new Fiio E7 (I know that there are better amps out there, I just got a good deal on it, so I bought it.) I'm wondering if the sound will change at all... Oh well. They sound good just as they are right now. Nice and neutral. However, I also like headphones that are more bass heavy, mainly because you can use a good equalizer to mess with the sound to nearly no end. They are just fun to play around with. Anyway, thanks for the wishes and info.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 19
Burn in deals with the idea that headphones will change sound over time...  The change is gradual, and not instant, EG, if they say after 200 hours, this happens, they don't mean at 200 hours the headphones just drastically changed sound.  Instead, they mean, at 200 hours, something was noticable.  You may notice it at 180, 220, 150 depending on how sensitive your ears are (or you may never hear it if your ears aren't sensitive to a change in sound at all).  That said, it takes much more than 10 hours for anything to happen.

Another thing to think about is pad break in.  As pads break in, they conform better to your face and in turn fit better.  A better fit leads to an overall improved (but changed sound).  Another thing is mental break in.  They all play a role as well.

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 19
I'm not so sure it's been proven that burn in doesn't work.  You might refer to Innerfidelity.com and read his actual burn in tests.  Might change your mind on the subject.  =)

Quote:

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 19
The innerfidelity tests prove that BREAK-IN is such a small change that it's inaudible.

Also remember that there is variance in manufacturing, and that your brain will lie to you if you're a "true believer." Do some research on cognitive bias, and be enlightened.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Just got my HA101's in the mail. They match my full size $100 Numark Red Waves in sound quality and bass. That right there blows my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back