JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Jun 18, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #347 of 663
  Those of you who enjoyed the wood series ought to give the JVC HA-SW01 and HA-SW02 a try too. They're pretty decent over ears though may require a more powerful source to drive compared to the in-ears. Personally I still prefer the 1200 sound.

Do you have any more impressions to share about them?

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #348 of 663

Do you have any more impressions to share about them?

I've not spend a long time with them, only few minutes of listening and skipping through a few tracks but they did hold my attention for long enough compared to some of the more meh headphones out there. Reason for the short listen is that I was in a hurry and the demo units weren't there for long.

Those of you expecting an over-ear version of the FX850 or 1200 might want to look elsewhere. Both the SW01 and SW02 are not as bassy, less coloured and more reference type sound but they do still retain that pleasant timbre and texture across the spectrum. The SW01 has a more forward mid compared to the SW02. Both have sweet treble. Detail retrieval is excellent, on par with most headphones it's price range. Definitely would benefit from a more powerful source than a phone. 

What I will say about both models though is that their built quality is impeccable. Especially the SW01. Very solid in hand and the craftsmanship is top notch. 

Downside - Asking price might be a bit too steep for the sound. Not because they sound bad but that there are easily many many other better sounding cans at their price point. Especially for the SW01. I think they retail at about some $700+ A price point which you can get some very excellent Planar Magnetic headphones. That said, they do come in some pretty premium packaging, storage and a really high quality detachable cable. I also wish that the leather/pleather? bands and earcups are replaceable but from what I recall, the band is definitely non-removable which is a bit of a downer - more maintenance after listening. Plus you'll want a decently powerful amp for the best performance.

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #350 of 663
I really love my FX1100 but I use the Final Audio tips or Ortofon for a better performance. YMMV but please give them a try. These two tips bring imaging, treble extension and separation to a new level.

The imaging is more vivid and I don't have to worry about mods anymore, some also like the Spin Fits but they don't provide enough seal for me.

Enjoy!

Jun 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #351 of 663
For those who enjoy FX 1100 / 1200
Please find a link for the award of this wodel in VGP 2016 Japan (Got this link from the IE 800 thread): http://vgp.phileweb.com/vgp2016_summer/vgp_p2_12.html

I suppose that means the JVC HA-FX1100 received top ratings for it's price category? My Mandri-panese is kinda rusty. Also no idea who or what VGP means. Nice to see that they find the FX-1100 more enjoyable than the Dita. Would like to try one of those one day. 

Surprised that the AKG K3003 is among those listed for it's tier. They sound waaay too artificially bright with anything short of the bass filter and even then, there's a huge treble spike which makes it a weird listening experience to me. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #352 of 663
This award thing is pretty much a subjective award based on a selective panel of jury with their taste (on a price range, of course).

I love some of the products listed there for their own signatures for every type of music in my collection. They have their own strength so to speak.

Speaking of strength, one word that keeps repeated in my head is tonality.

A single Dynamic Driver with wood based housing ala FX series has its charm for me, since it sounds like home speakers I grew up with. I guess you could say it is based on familiarity on old school high end system at home. And this one is a single driver, no cross over problem and BA type of sound. Mind you, there are wonderful BA iems I enjoy (it is all about tuning, isn't it?)

FX1100 scales cery well with desktop amp and source, particulary if you hook them up a decent turntables. Amazing!

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #353 of 663
This award thing is pretty much a subjective award based on a selective panel of jury with their taste (on a price range, of course).

I love some of the products listed there for their own signatures for every type of music in my collection. They have their own strength so to speak.

Speaking of strength, one word that keeps repeated in my head is tonality.

A single Dynamic Driver with wood based housing ala FX series has its charm for me, since it sounds like home speakers I grew up with. I guess you could say it is based on familiarity on old school high end system at home. And this one is a single driver, no cross over problem and BA type of sound. Mind you, there are wonderful BA iems I enjoy (it is all about tuning, isn't it?)

FX1100 scales cery well with desktop amp and source, particulary if you hook them up a decent turntables. Amazing!

Yea I get that, hence why I mentioned no clue who VGP is/are.

Indeed. That timbre.

The main advantage of a balanced armature driver over dynamic driver is really just the size. The rest is all about implementation. Which is one of the reason why I appreciate the FX-1200 so much. I've some hybrids and multi-BA CIEM that sounded really really off, while the 1200 easily outperform many of those with it's single Wood dome driver.

I still dream of hooking it up to a Chord Hugo TT,,, *drools* 

I should totally pull out some of my uncle's old turntable to play with. Funny thing with turntables... you start looking up vinyls of your favourite tracks only to realize half of your library are actually EDM... which to me is pointless to listen to in Vinyl but apparently people do have recording
Yea I get that, hence why I mentioned no clue who VGP is/are.

Indeed. That timbre.

The main advantage of a balanced armature driver over dynamic driver is really just the size. The rest is all about implementation. Which is one of the reason why I appreciate the FX-1200 so much. I've some hybrids and multi-BA CIEM that sounded really really off, while the 1200 easily outperform many of those with it's single Wood dome driver.

I still dream of hooking it up to a Chord Hugo TT,,, *drools* 

Funny thought about turntables. Does it make any sense to listen to EDM in vinyl? Given most of the sound are sourced from digital in the first place.

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #354 of 663
I have been enjoying the fx1200 on my oppo ha2 for the past few days. Combined with a bit burn in sessions in between...have to say the ha2 is very good match for the fx1200. I have a whiplash twag v3 cable but i prefer the stock cable. The twag brought out more stage depth and deep bass but muffled the upper mids and highs. The stock cable is much better. Thevtwag i bought to take the spikey treble edge off my fx850 but is not a good match for the fx1200.
Might take the plunge for occ silver litz cable just to satisfy my curiosity and maybe a different dac amp.
Does anyone have positive experiences with other cable and amp combinations with the fx1200?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #358 of 663
:joy: yes may be.But i use amp when i need to hear Bass.
However i came from Pioneer cx8 and fx750 to fx1100 .
Pioneer cx8 is really vibrate your ear with extreme bass.So after pioneer cx8,i call fx1100 as balanced iem:smile:

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #359 of 663
the FX1100 really needs to be paired with a source that includes a high end DAC chip. For example, the LG V10 smartphone. This phone actually has an amp built-in as well!

My search for the perfect sound has come to a screeching halt.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #360 of 663
oh yeah, forgot to mention that there is an aux mode (which amplifies the sound in the LG V10) that can be enabled by connecting an aux cable, then connecting the FX1100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back