JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Jan 30, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #227 of 663
ML= medium large= just right:wink:  
Thanks JVC TOTL
I have bought two boxes of these spiral dot medium large for all of my better JVC iem.
I am really looking forward to trying these spinfit. The opening appears a little smaller ;-0
Any perceivable sound difference?

Jan 30, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #228 of 663
I am really looking forward to trying these spinfit. The opening appears a little smaller ;-0
Any perceivable sound difference?

My impression from the FX850 thread, but the same applies to the FX1100:

I've recently tried the SpinFit tips and personally wouldn't recommend them for the JVC woodies, unless you're having trouble to fit other tips. Thing is, their opening is narrower than the FX850's nozzle exit, which makes the lower frequency range sound somewhat woolly and congested.

My favorite tips for the JVCs are still the Ultimate Ears TF10 silicone tips, followed by the stock Spiral Dots.

Jan 30, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #230 of 663
james444 
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. So far the stock ML tips are comfortable enough. 
I am just glad to be in the Wood Club at all. 
It is funny, now that I have all of my "good" iem on the burn station and I am listening to my Sony xb90ex in the interim, The xb90s sound pretty good. I think it is because I don't need them to be my ultimate iem that I can finally hear what is good about them, rather than what is bad about them.

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #231 of 663
I had to use the spinfits as i wasn't getting a good seal + right side keeps falling off. I just purchased ortofon tips. I'll see if that helps. The opening is definitely wider.

Personally, I believe the "secret" to getting a good fit with the FX1100/850/750 is trying to wear them over-ears (cable upwards, without swapping sides). Depending on individual ear anatomy, sadly not everyone will be able to do that. But if you're among the lucky ones, they'll sit much more flush against your ears and excert less leverage on the tips, which overall makes for a comfier and more secure fit.

@ james444 
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. So far the stock ML tips are comfortable enough. 
I am just glad to be in the Wood Club at all. 
It is funny, now that I have all of my "good" iem on the burn station and I am listening to my Sony xb90ex in the interim, The xb90s sound pretty good. I think it is because I don't need them to be my ultimate iem that I can finally hear what is good about them, rather than what is bad about them.

I haven't heard the xb90ex. But if eating my way through 100+ IEMs has told me anything, then it's that price is no useful indicator for sound quality. Not for measured / objective SQ, and even less for perceived / subjective SQ.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #232 of 663
LMAO ,

I did this with watches last year! I finally had to get off the watch forum for awhile to break the spell:wink:
The fun thing is, I am really standing on the shoulders of giants, here at Head-Fi. From reading 250 page threads going back to 2012,  with people I respect, and people that I no longer respect, hearing the romance and the heartache, the tracking numbers, the broken cables, the synergy of DAP and amp leading to that almost perfect SQ and signature :wink:
I think the most important thing that I've learned here is that one phone does not rule them all, and to enjoy each phone for their strengths and allow them their weaknesses :wink:  
I have read here, time and again, where everyone was dumping last months hot item for this months new release, and some poor fool just held onto his instead of selling. Two years later he still has the coolest thing that others are re-buying because it really was THAT AWEsome.
I hated my Scoche 856 for a long time. I re-listened to them recently and was glad that I didn't sell them or give them away. I have a Hybrid dual driver that I can reference :wink:

Just wanted to point out just how much I enjoy this post. There is so much content and information tucked within these forums. It's almost always worth taking the time to go through a thread from start to finish given the dearth of interesting stuff there is to read, even if only for the entertainment value. :) Enjoy the woodies!!

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #233 of 663
Just wanted to point out just how much I enjoy this post. There is so much content and information tucked within these forums. It's almost always worth taking the time to go through a thread from start to finish given the dearth of interesting stuff there is to read, even if only for the entertainment value. :) Enjoy the woodies!!

The entertainment value is amazing. People going on about how awesome an iem is in 2012/13, but it is nolonger listed in their signature as one they own. People that are pissed because they bought something that others love but they don't like, only to fall in love with it after complaining for a week or two about how burn in is a myth. People asking questions about an iem for a couple of months, but never buying it and disappearing from the forum. People that are engaging and seem human, but are banned and have multiple User names.
And then there is the real meat of the matter: people that have been on this forum for years, that are politely answering a question again that has been asked and answered five times before in the same thread. People that when asked to compare the iem from the thread to some obscure iem that no one else has heard of, and are still gracious, not condescending, and even try to come up with an equivalent. People that have so much experience and information that they really should be getting paid for this, but they are here sharing what they know and love. These people have lead by example and inspire me to aim towards becoming a true ambassador rather than an embarrassment.

Well, time to get back to reading the fx850 thread, I am only on page 164 and I can't wait to see how it turns out:ghost:

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #234 of 663
Just placed an order for the FX1100. Coming from the Z5 and W50 I would love to see how these perform in the "fun" department.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #235 of 663
You won't be disappointed.I was patient enough to let mine burn in for 10 days and it has been totally worth it. These are very rich and full, they sound much as they look. Bentley Continental? Maserati GranTurismo? JVC FX1100!

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #236 of 663
  You won't be disappointed.I was patient enough to let mine burn in for 10 days and it has been totally worth it. These are very rich and full, they sound much as they look. Bentley Continental? Maserati GranTurismo? JVC FX1100!

Nice! They just came in today. Haven't had a chance to listen to them yet but will report back after I do.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #238 of 663
Welcome to the FX1100 / 1200 club!

The FX 1100 is a woody masterpiece with the great timbre to boot.
The bass part is not for everybody but you could tame and play with silver cables and tips.

Fantastic recordings await :)

Mar 11, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #239 of 663
Thanks guys!

Listened to these for a couple of hours and while they do sound very good (I mean, extremely good) with some genres, I feel that they are not all-rounders. Don't get me wrong I love bass (look at my signature) and the bass on the FX1100 is hands down my favorite attribute. However, when it comes to faster songs I feel that the single dynamic driver struggles a bit in keeping pace. Therefore, for more modern, convoluted tracks, the FX1100 can seem to lose focus and PRAT.

However, these do shine with acoustic and instrumentals as well as slower music. I'm going to keep them for a couple more days to form a more accurate opinion. I bought these brand new for $320 USD... Not sure how the return policies work with the place I purchased them. But I'll keep an open mind!

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #240 of 663
  Thanks guys!

Listened to these for a couple of hours and while they do sound very good (I mean, extremely good) with some genres, I feel that they are not all-rounders. Don't get me wrong I love bass (look at my signature) and the bass on the FX1100 is hands down my favorite attribute. However, when it comes to faster songs I feel that the single dynamic driver struggles a bit in keeping pace. Therefore, for more modern, convoluted tracks, the FX1100 can seem to lose focus and PRAT.

However, these do shine with acoustic and instrumentals as well as slower music. I'm going to keep them for a couple more days to form a more accurate opinion. I bought these brand new for $320 USD... Not sure how the return policies work with the place I purchased them. But I'll keep an open mind!

IMHO, it's not the single dynamic driver per se that struggles, but the overly bassy tuning that muddies the low end on fast and punchy tracks.

Try to tune down the mid/upper bass range with EQ, or try the mod linked in my sig and you'll see that the FX1100 can actually do "PRAT" very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back