JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Jul 20, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #166 of 663

It's rather a change in comfort and perception than an objective change in sound. I've tried to describe it in this post:

Still, I've become a fan of the BAX and would never want to go back to the stock cable.

As for over-ear, no I don't swap sides. Due to their angled design, the fit is actually much more flush and inconspicuous that way. Sound is mostly the same as with downward fit, but imo the soundstage feels different (subjectively: better, more open). 

I suppose it could just be in my head, but with a good source (like Tidal App) and running out of an oppo ha-2, there were obvious sonic improvements with the bax cable over the stock cable, primarily in the width of the soundstage and sub bass extension. With anything in the audiophile world it's hard to say if the improvements equal the price of the cable, but it was a welcome upgrade imo.

(I also added a photo earlier in the thread comparing the size differences of the stock and bax when connected to the fx1100.)

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #167 of 663
Jul 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #168 of 663
Aug 11, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #169 of 663

Good things come to those with patience. 
wink_face.gif

I also received my Comply T400 tips and I like them better than the stock foam tips which I found uncomfortable after awhile. The Complys are super comfortable and sound like the foamies. I didn't like the silicone tips sound wise.

Yeah luv the Comply T/Ts-400 tips on my Woodies.  Didn't like the supplied silicons either. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #170 of 663

I agree regarding the LCD-2s. I sold my 2.2s and replaced them with the FX1100s wanting to move to an iem. Not saying the FX1100s are as good overall as the 2.2s, but there is a sonic resemblance.

Concur.  Just listened to a pair of 2.2s a few weeks ago very similar.

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #171 of 663
They get closer to 1k IEMs than I'd have thought likely prior to buying them. With well recorded material the imaging is exceptional. The muscular bass and floating quality you sometimes notice put me in mind of the LCD-2.

Woodies are indeed timbre and imaging monsters!

If you want to experience some really amazing "floating-type" imaging listen to Enya's Watermark or The Longships tracks... wow! 

Originally Posted by WoodyLuvr 

The only time I am able to discern that stereo speaker-like "front effect" on headphones is when listening to Enya's The Longships recording originally mastered by Barry Diament in 1988.

A deeply detailed and layered track the sound seemingly floats down from above and from afar while stretching wide between (and even back behind) the left and right channels... and that beating drum, oh my! This "behind/front" imaging effect is best described as how one hears/feels a live orchestra's back row instruments... they are accurately distant (lower in volume, but still vibrant, clear, and having impact) and in their right places.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #172 of 663
Really excited about these to be honest, I have the FX850's and LOVE them.  I actually just purchased a pair of Sennheiser M2's and have now returned them as I prefer the sound of the FX850's - am I mad!?! lol

Sep 20, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #175 of 663
Can/has anyone compare(d) these to T-Peos H-300/altone 350?

My friend is buying my old H-300s and it's kind of a toss-up between the A350 and the Fx1100

Edit: Oh whatever, just bought the Fx1100 anyway. Should arrive in a few days, we'll see how I like it.

Sep 21, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #178 of 663
These only have one driver right?

That seems sort of surprising considering most IEMs at this price range have around 3.

It sports a dynamic driver, which is larger for a good reason and few manufacturers would want to lump a few of those together. Multi-driver IEMs at any price range usually use BA drivers. Multi-dynamic drvier IEMS aren't exactly rare nowadays but still not too popular and none of those are really considered top-notch..........Most best dynamic driver IEMs (IE800, Lyra, these JVC Woodies) are single driver. JVC did make a 3-dynamic drivers IEM which aren't that well received in comparison to their woodies and were actually cheaper.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #179 of 663

It sports a dynamic driver, which is larger for a good reason and few manufacturers would want to lump a few of those together. Multi-driver IEMs at any price range usually use BA drivers. Multi-dynamic drvier IEMS aren't exactly rare nowadays but still not too popular and none of those are really considered top-notch..........Most best dynamic driver IEMs (IE800, Lyra, these JVC Woodies) are single driver. JVC did make a 3-dynamic drivers IEM which aren't that well received in comparison to their woodies and were actually cheaper.

Well, Hybrid IEMs use dynamic & BA drivers, like my T-Peos H-300 and the Dunu Dn-xxxx which makes a lot more sense. I obviously can't comment on the sound of the JVC since I haven't received mine yet, but it'd be nice to see them use a BA exclusively for the treble and the bass. There's only so much a single driver can do.

Afterall, these things surely are big enough to fit hella drivers, just look at the Dunu Dn-2000j, they're extremely small.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #180 of 663

I have both and like them. Infound the 3 driver needed an amp to really shine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back