JVC HP-FX500 vs Panasonic RP-HJE900
Jun 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thenightman

Head-Fier
Both are within a very similar price range and are highly rated around here. I'm curious as to how members feel about the differences in sound quality (e.g which one is better?). I also hear that the soundstage on the HJE900 is quite lacking when compared to the FX500. Any truth to that?

Thanks.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi Nightman

I purchased both about six months ago due to the accolades they received here and since both were available at very reasonable prices from JR and Seyo.  Though I enjoy both, they definitely have different sound signatures.  I find the FX500's to be slightly darker and warmer with a more spacious presentation.  However, their midrange is somewhat recessed which I find really noticeable on vocals.  Otherwise, the FX500's are very engaging on chamber music.  I currently use them mostly when lying in bed with them plugged into my Cambridge Soundworks table radio and listening to either classical or jazz from the local public radio stations.  While far from hi-end, I find that combination to be completely satisfying and engaging.

Other the other hand, I usually use the HJE900's with my Sony MP-3 will listening to pop (e.g. Cash, Mellencamp, Talking Heads).  Again, I find the combination to be totally satisfying with no urge to switch my other bud's (OK-2 with Radioshack foam, FX500, EX-700 which I find to be excellent with Comply tips).  My only beef is that sometimes they don't stay in my ears very well,  even after trying the different tips provided. 

If you're contemplating which to purchase, prefer IEM's (as I currently do) and can swing both, I recommend purchasing both.  Hope this helps.

Retrogrouch

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks.

But I found it a little concerning that the Panasonic's don't stay in your ear well. I was looking forward to using these earphones with a Cowon J3 and working out with them.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 6
If you want to work out with them, then their ability to stay snugly in the ears is obviously critical.  I'm fairly certain that I've read on the forum that others have had the same problem as well.  Since, the FX500s don't isolate well, they probably would not work well for what you want. 

Maybe you can try some Comply tips as those should keep the Pannie's anchored firmly.  However, the Comply tips may also affect the sound a bit as was the case when I tried them with the FX500s.  I quickly went back to the stock tips. Good luck.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 6
well to me tho 900 is a wall of power, brutality and aggression.  the 500 feels so light and delicate in comparison.

the 500 surprised me as to how much i like it, the 900 surprised me as to just how much i dont.

btw you havent said what it is your actually wanting sound wise, do so then wo can better suggest wwhat will suit your needs

Jun 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I have both. The FX500 are open back and noticably airier than the HJE900, but otherwise the Pannies' soundstage is not lacking.

The HJE900's stock tips don't fit me well, but with UE single flanges they stay firmly in my ears.

Soundwise the JVCs have an emphasis on lower bass and tend to distort on higher volume levels, whereas the Pannies have a slight midbass hump and no distortion problem. Midrange is a tad recessed on the Pannies and more so on the JVCs. The highs can be quite harsh on the JVCs and a bit sharp on the Pannies, with the latter beating the former in detail.

Both can be modded (and improved) by replacing the filters with a small piece of foam, which brings the midrange a bit forward and smoothens the highs.

Isolation is obviously better with the HJE900 compared to the open FX500.

IMO it's a tough decision between these two, if you like to listen to bass heavy music on high volume I'd avoid the JVCs, if you mainly listen at low volume in quiet surroundings I'd prefer the JVCs.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back