JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Apr 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #857 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquanote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone give us or me a the link where the felt mod is explained. I don´t have a clue how to open the RX700, don´t want to break them trying...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...-about-381303/

Just follow the guide up to the point where you remove the felt. (rx900 and 700 are built the almost the exact same way so don't let the fact that the thread is for rx900s confuse)

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #858 of 1,224
Will the Dynamat in the cups make them even more isolated? I like to listen in bed and I don't want my wife to be able to hear much of anything. They're somewhat OK now, but bordering on too leaky. Would this help?

thanks!

Apr 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #859 of 1,224
Seems like buy.com has RX900 in stock again.... if anyone wanted them.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #860 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like buy.com has RX900 in stock again.... if anyone wanted them.

WOW! Finally. Thanks for the heads up! I wanted to grab a pair of these to compare to the 700s if they ever came back in stock. 700s still are a no-show.

Apr 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #861 of 1,224
Just ordered the RX900 from buy.com. Been waiting for it ever since I bought the RX700. Maybe if RX700 showed up, I will buy another one for backup
icon10.gif

May 1, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #862 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered the RX900 from buy.com. Been waiting for it ever since I bought the RX700. Maybe if RX700 showed up, I will buy another one for backup
icon10.gif

I ordered a pair too.
beerchug.gif

May 1, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #863 of 1,224
beerchug.gif

My wallet is gonna cry
evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #866 of 1,224
Ericular,

Yes, felt mod helps both 900 and 700.

I would avoid doing any dynamatting. I did it in my 900s before I gave them away, and it only added weight and cost. I didn't hear much of a difference.

If you want more isolation, stuff the cups with teddy bear stuffing. I've also heard people use cotton balls, toilet paper and even steel wool (to bring out the highs). Any of these will help isolation. Well, except maybe the steel wool. I don't know, I didn't try that. Plus bass will be more controlled. And if you don't use too much, you should still have plenty of bass volume and impact.

May 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #867 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ericular,

I would avoid doing any dynamatting. I did it in my 900s before I gave them away, and it only added weight and cost. I didn't hear much of a difference.

If you want more isolation, stuff the cups with teddy bear stuffing. I've also heard people use cotton balls, toilet paper and even steel wool (to bring out the highs). Any of these will help isolation. Well, except maybe the steel wool. I don't know, I didn't try that. Plus bass will be more controlled. And if you don't use too much, you should still have plenty of bass volume and impact.

What about sibilance? I couldn't stand the sibilance with my DT 770s (which I haven't heard many complaints about), so I think I might be sensitive to it or something. The rx700s have no sign of it, but that's the only worry I'd have about doing the felt mod.

May 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #868 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ericular,

Also, since I've got your ear...

What were the differences you observed between the 700 and 900, and how come you decided to keep the 700s?

Thanks!

May 1, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #869 of 1,224
To anyone who have done felt mod to RX900, did you put the felt lens back in place or just leave it like RX700 which doesn't have the lens ?? I wonder if the lens actually make the sonic difference between 700 and 900.

May 1, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #870 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To anyone who have done felt mod to RX900, did you put the felt lens back in place or just leave it like RX700 which doesn't have the lens ?? I wonder if the lens actually make the sonic difference between 700 and 900.

It does make a difference. Whether or not you will like that difference is another story, however. To my ears, the lens seemed to mellow the sound out a bit, causing the soundstage to become less fronted and immediate, and allowing for better overall placement of instruments. Incidentally, Grado fans may like the RX700 more because of the lack of acoustic lens: gives a more "in your face" presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back