JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Mar 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #481 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by shagvirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are going to make me order the rx700s arent you !!!
popcorn.gif

I was wondering when you would catch on!
atsmile.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #482 of 1,224
For all you RX700 lovers, I just recabled some D1001s and compared them to the RX700. The RX700 came out on top. You can read my review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...0/#post5499888

These are still my favorites.

Oh, and I also shortened the cable on the RX700 while I was at it to 4'. I couldn't stand the 12 footer that came stock. Maybe I'll do a full recable on it one of these days, just to see if it improves. But I kind of like that it kills all these more expensive phones in its stock, $30 form.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #483 of 1,224
I am currently comparing the HA-RX700 and my friend's RX900 side by side. They're each getting about 30 minutes of a house mix (along with some other stuff) so I'll see what happens.

Initial impression is that the HA-RX900's bass hits much louder than on the 700 and the sound stage is a bit wider than when he first got them. It's definitely substantially wider than my RX700 though.

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #484 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently comparing the HA-RX700 and my friend's RX900 side by side. They're each getting about 30 minutes of a house mix (along with some other stuff) so I'll see what happens.

Initial impression is that the HA-RX900's bass hits much louder than on the 700 and the sound stage is a bit wider than when he first got them. It's definitely substantially wider than my RX700 though.

Are you liking the sound of the 900s with House? i recently ordered a pair to listen to predominantly electronic bass heavy material.

What's driving them btw?

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #488 of 1,224
I've got a conference to prepare for during the next couple of weeks, but after spring break, I think I'm going to dedicate some time to turning the RX900s into open cans.

Somebody already mentioned wanting to do this, and I think it's a great idea. The drivers seem to be really good, and the overpowering, muddied bass seems to be the only real drawback (which is helped a lot by modding, though).

I'm thinking of cutting out the cap, and replacing it with a grill. No backwave, and much less resonance. Hmmm... thoughts? I'll post pics if I end up doing it.

EDIT: What are the drawbacks, if any, of doing something like this? I know that an open phone can't simply be turned into a closed phone and still sound good, but what about the other way around? Bass would suffer, that's for sure, but I'm hoping they would still be very punchy, only with a much improved midrange and treble, and wider soundstage. On the other hand, I don't want to end up butchering these if this is a bad idea, because I really love these phones!
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #490 of 1,224
I wouldn't know of the drawbacks, but it sounds like a great idea. Maybe you could try it with the RX700s as a 30$ loss is not a bad as 60$s(+ materials/time moding). Can anyone think of an example of making a closed phone open?

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #491 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by notuagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you liking the sound of the 900s with House? i recently ordered a pair to listen to predominantly electronic bass heavy material.

What's driving them btw?

smily_headphones1.gif

I have been listening to the HARX900 (side-by-side with the HARX700) with a variety of music including blues, jazz, classic rock, movie soundtracks and plenty of bass-heavy trance, house and other electronica. My conclusion is that while the bass is definitely more powerful on the RX900, it sounds extremely muddy like the low-end cutoff frequency is set too high. I don't know how much my friend burned in his pair of RX900, but it sounds muffled all around. The vocals feel like they're coming from behind a veil. Small details seem very distant. They're present once you turn up the volume but then the bass just take over and you're left with very recessed mids and highs. The sound stage is indeed larger than I expected it to be and there's an echoey feeling with the music. I believe one of the largest contributors to the distant sound compared to the RX700 is the fact that the earcups are ~2 mm deeper in the back of the pads than the RX700. When I pushed my fingers against the cups, there was a noticeable improvement in the "closeness" of the music. Even so, the SQ was definitely muddier compared to the RX700. I'm going to leave this sucker to burn-in a bit more overnight to see if they get any cleaner.

Both are being driven by my stock X-Fi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone with both the AD700 and the RX700 take a picture of the two side-by-side? I'd like to get an idea of how large they are.

200903082258000jpg8.jpg

On the very left is a three-hole punch that takes 11x8.5 inch sheets of paper. Middle is the HARX700 with the RX900 on the right.

@TopPop: I would definitely like to hear if the closed-to-open conversion can be done and if they bring any improvements. At the moment, the muddiness of the RX900 is making me seriously lean towards another pair of RX700.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #492 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone with both the AD700 and the RX700 take a picture of the two side-by-side? I'd like to get an idea of how large they are.

Don't have the AD700 anymore, but I remember them being about the same size. The AD700 might be very slightly larger.

Mar 9, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #493 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm going to dedicate some time to turning the RX900s into open cans.

That would be an awesome experiment. There's plenty of bass to go around, and you're right, taming the bass and eliminating the echo in these would be just the ticket. I fully support you in your endeavor.
beerchug.gif
Please let us know how it turns out. With pictures, of course.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #494 of 1,224
Just got mine today.
My initial impression is no wonder you guys say so much praise for this HP. Even before burn-in, the sound is very involving, mid is nice, treble is there, but not really sparkly, bass is quite punchy which I love. So far, I am very enjoying this HP and will burning it when I go to work today. $37 well spent I can say
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back