JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #436 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by shagvirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burning in rx900 now.

Out of the box comparison rx900 / ad700 same volume with zune 80g

ad700 - alot clearer, highs / mids are jump out and get you, bass just was not what i wanted.

rx900 - sound a little muffled, highs / mids are there just seem to be behind some fabric, bass is what i am looking for. just hope it gets a litter snappier and detailed.

Since i shipped back my ad700, most hours they burned in was like 25ish from now on its all rx900 updates.

The ad700 really did not sound that dramatic after 20hrs.

Will check back after 25hrs of rx900 burn in using a wide variety of Rar, Rock, Soft Rock, Techno, Zen garden stuff, Classical

What other stuff can i play through these, i read about that pink noise

Thanks for your time
darthsmile.gif

The sound IS behind fabric. Peel off the felt blanket, the top layer, and there you go. Much better with the felt mod done.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #437 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by shagvirus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rx900 - sound a little muffled, highs / mids are there just seem to be behind some fabric, bass is what i am looking for. just hope it gets a litter snappier and detailed.

Do the mods, my friend, do the mods. The modifications address these exact issues that you mention.
wink_face.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #438 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed very little difference switching the pads. But I'd love to hear more about other people's experience with this.

if you look at couple pages ahead, you'll see i have similar findings. the 900 pads was just way too bass excessive. its fun, but after a while you just want cleaner sound back again. if the 900 pads work great with you, that is awesome.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #439 of 1,224
I took off the pad off the left side of the HA-RX700, uh.. lol. The felt is completely coming off if I tug on it. Isn't only a top "layer" suppose to come off?

EDIT: Nvm, part of the fabric was fully coming off, but I got the layer off on each side.

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #440 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the mods, my friend, do the mods. The modifications address these exact issues that you mention.
wink_face.gif

@spaceman also.

was going to burn them ifor 100hrs then MOD them. so far after 50hrs they seem much brighter.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #441 of 1,224
Alright, just picked up my RX700s, here are some impressions just out of the box:

First, structurally, theses headphones are amazing for 35$. They dont appear to be like anything you would pick up at a mass market electronics store. While the pleather earpads dont have the most luxurious look to them, they are comfortable, and fit well around my ears. Everything is sturdy, and they look like they could take a beating pretty well. The headband is comfortable, if not maybe a little more firm then I would have hoped, but it seems like it will break in nicely. They are a bit heavier then my HD650s, but weight distribution on the head is good enough that they never fell like their weighing down on you.

The seal is good, they leak very minimally and isolate decently. Obviously with a semi-open design, their first intention was not to isolate, but they can be thought of as more closed headphones then semi-open or open.

Sound:

I know these headphones have been compared to Grados, but between my SR225s and my HD650s, they remind me more of the Sennheisers. When I think of the Grados, I think of clean sound, small stage, and strong punchy attacks (I think of them as perfectly married with Jeff Buckley). These JVCs have a soundstage that is in my opinion larger then the HD650s (alot smaller then my K500's) and the sound has some of the blending that I equate alot more with the Senns then the Grados. Also, they dont have Grado golden mids, which I feel are a bit recessed on the 700s, or at least do not jump out at you. The bass is strong and punchy, the low end well controlled. My only complaint is treble extension could be a bit better, but I assume this may resolve itself after burn in.

What amazes me so much about theses headphones is that they cost about what is ran me to get my Sennheisers shipped, and they are relatively in the same league. There are definite gaps in resolution and smoothness between the two, but having 35$ (list 60$) headphones and 300$ (list 600$) headphones even in the same sentence is an amazing accomplishment. The senns are in no way 10x better then then RX700 (well that is just the way high end audio works), and the RX700 get my full and enthusiastic endorsement to anyone interested in getting involved in high end sound (& you can listen to them out of an Ipod!).

Cant wait to burn these in.....

heres some pics on sizing, these are definitely not for portable use, it would be easier to take my HD650s out and about

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #442 of 1,224
Nice first impressions. And nice to hear that out of the box you think they're in the same league as the 650s. You're in for a nice surprise once burned in, I think.

I suggest you experiment with some EQ to bring the mids and highs a little more forward. I found that improves them quite a bit. They won't be up to the level of the Grados, but they will sound so much better overall. These spank the grados is overall clarity, refinement, and depth. Well, at least the SR60. I haven't heard the others, and don't particularly want to after hearing the SR60, then these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #443 of 1,224
Can't wait to get mine. When I ordered 3 days ago on buy.com, they were out of stock so today they just shipped it to Fedex. Supposed to be delivered on Monday
smily_headphones1.gif
Going to compare this to Sony MDR V6, Senn HD280pro and KSC75
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #444 of 1,224
Where are you guys buying them at that price? Amazon has them at $44.16. They look like I can use them for gaming and throwing around when I'm upset. That way I don't have to spend $100+ and break some expensive cans.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #445 of 1,224
Quote:

Nice first impressions. And nice to hear that out of the box you think they're in the same league as the 650s.

I made sure I underlined 'relatively', I ment more to say they perform like a mid-fi/upper-mid-fi headphone, more so then a entry or low-end headphone. But either way, I was extremely impressed. Without knowing the price, I would not have been surprised if someone told me they cost ~175$.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #446 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by deeplove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you guys buying them at that price? Amazon has them at $44.16. They look like I can use them for gaming and throwing around when I'm upset. That way I don't have to spend $100+ and break some expensive cans.

Buy.com charged me $29.99 for them and shipped them for free.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #447 of 1,224
Which are better? The 700s or 900s? Mainly for gaming.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #449 of 1,224
Quote:

Buy.com charged me $29.99 for them and shipped them for free.

They lowered the price? That's amazing since they seem to have trouble keeping them in stock. I have the 900s and the 700s are soooo tempting!

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #450 of 1,224
price is back up to $33.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back