JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Jan 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #286 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by anon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, if i cannot find the jvc ha rx 900 or 700, which headphone for the same price range come close to them?

How are they compared to the KOSS ur 40?

So did anyone could compare them?

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #287 of 1,224
well thanks to over 50 pages on multiple forums I decided to buy a pair of the HARX900s along with a pair of Audio-Technica A700s. Ill post my impressions afterwords if it will help anyone.

P.S. I think this site should come with a disclaimer when you REGISTER warning you about the pain your wallet will feel. I started off here just asking about a pair of portable headphones(have a PX100vs. portapro thread somewhere on this site like most everyone) and now i'm spending $210 on 2 headphones........sorry for you wallet indeed.....

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #288 of 1,224
Nevermind my earlier nevermind; the RX700 is, in fact, superior to the PX-100. The sound is so much fuller and the highs are far better (even though they are a bit more muffled in some range, what is there is of higher quality). The PX-100s sound cheap and oh-so-thin in comparison. I am thinking about discarding my PX-100s at this point.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #289 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind my earlier nevermind; the RX700 is, in fact, superior to the PX-100. The sound is so much fuller and the highs are far better (even though they are a bit more muffled in some range, what is there is of higher quality). The PX-100s sound cheap and oh-so-thin in comparison. I am thinking about discarding my PX-100s at this point.

Good to know!

What sound card or other equipment did you plug these headphones into for this comparison?

Thanks

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #290 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know!

What sound card or other equipment did you plug these headphones into for this comparison?

Thanks

Ah. Crappy integrated laptop audio, Total AirHead. I need to remember to mention my equipment from now on.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #291 of 1,224
Stuck between the 700's and 900's. All i know is I mostly listen to Rock, Hip-Hop, Technoish type stuff and Alt Rock with mixed in Jazz and such. I <3 my MDR v6's but wish they had a bit more boom and I enjoy the Q-40's. I did not like the DT-770's very much and was a mild fan of MS1's. Any suggestions as to go with the RX-700 or RX-900?

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #292 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stuck between the 700's and 900's. All i know is I mostly listen to Rock, Hip-Hop, Technoish type stuff and Alt Rock with mixed in Jazz and such. I <3 my MDR v6's but wish they had a bit more boom and I enjoy the Q-40's. I did not like the DT-770's very much and was a mild fan of MS1's. Any suggestions as to go with the RX-700 or RX-900?

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging the RX700 or RX900 into?

FWIR, the RX900 has a larger sound stage, more boom, and can be modded for improved performance.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #293 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging the RX700 or RX900 into?

FWIR, the RX900 has a larger sound stage, more boom, and can be modded for improved performance.

1) far to lazy to mod

2) laptop or ipod with maybe a FiiO e5 later in life.

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #294 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) far to lazy to mod

2) laptop or ipod with maybe a FiiO e5 later in life.

Then I'd say go with the RX700. Or, you may want to consider the Yamaha RH5MA for under $50 shipped. Not suggesting the RX900 could not be enjoyed without modding, but I would not consider buying it if a) using it stock, and b) using it without an amp, but that's just me.

Feb 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #295 of 1,224
I'm also torn between the 700 and the 900. What if I plan to mod? I know the drivers are a little bit different from each other as indicated by the impedance and sensitivity, but the extra "acoustic lens" in the 900 are better left unscrewed, from someone who actually did the mods. Anyone here who heard both versions and shed some light on the differences, after burn-in and mods to both?

Feb 14, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #296 of 1,224
ok my first post, I just want to thank everyone for all the insightful advice that has been given on this forum, lord knows that I have read enough of them. I started with the HD555 and since have acquired the HA-RX700 and AD700. Major props need to go out to ourfpshero and spacemanspliff, it was their thread at hardforums that led me here and has reacquainted me with what my music should sound like. I've learned so much from these forums that I can't thank you all enough.
So, with that being said, it was the review of the HA-RX700 that got me started in this and I thought I would share my own but limited experienced thoughts on the hp's that I own. My setup is as follows, PC>FLAC>fooobar2000/WASAPI>X-Fi XtremeGamer optical out>Pioneer VSX-917V>AD700/HA-RX700/HD555. I want it to be known that I enjoy each hp that I have and can appreciate each one on it's own merit. I won't say that that one is any better than the other but, rather that they are different and do certain things with certain types of music that I find enjoyable.
The JVC I love for my hard rock, the bass is tight and it just gets me going with it's mids. I've spent many hours with these on and never felt any discomfort. They have a nice secure fit and have never slipped from the occasional head-banging session. The Senn's were my first hp's and they were very enjoyable at first but, I like them most for classical and movies. I now understand how the term "veiled" applies to the Senn's sound but, these are the most comfortable of 3 that I own. My AT's are the newest hps that I have and I have to agree that sound stage on these are awesome, I enjoy them most with the classic rock and blues that I listen to. I'm not much of a gamer so I really can't comment that. Though these are comfortable I find it takes a little getting used to on how these fit. I've only had these for a few days but I've spent a lot hours on them already and they have become my hp of choice. I'm sorry if my description of these hps are not very informative but, there are so many threads on these hps that I would only be parroting what has already been said. I just wanted to share my experience and to say thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #297 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by anon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did anyone could compare them?

Compared on the system with no tone control

The 700's beats the ur40's by miles, there no comparison.

The 900's have better lower frequency response but the UR40 has better midrange and high.

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #298 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidtai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also torn between the 700 and the 900. What if I plan to mod? I know the drivers are a little bit different from each other as indicated by the impedance and sensitivity, but the extra "acoustic lens" in the 900 are better left unscrewed, from someone who actually did the mods. Anyone here who heard both versions and shed some light on the differences, after burn-in and mods to both?

The 700's are better out of the box.

IMHO the "acoustic lens" is not worth the extra money,had I known,I would have passed on the 900's. Anyway there is a slight improvement with the lens off,just a little more detail.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #299 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO the "acoustic lens" is not worth the extra money,had I known,I would have passed on the 900's. Anyway there is a slight improvement with the lens off,just a little more detail.

Yeah, the acoustic lens is sort of a hard sell. I tried them off for awhile, and you're right: more forward sound, with a slight boost in the upper midrange and treble. However, I ended up putting the lenses back on, because it sounded a bit too aggressive to my ears and I missed the ambient affect of the less-forward soundstage with the lenses on.

Great movie phones, by the way.
popcorn.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #300 of 1,224
I have modded my 900's to a great extent (Remove felt, punch in little holes in the remaining felt, remove lenses, add in dynamat extreme on cups and slightly more inside.) and even with all those I still don't find RX900 to be aggressive. To me they are missing quite a bit of decibel in the upper midrange and slight bit of sparkle and air treble area but definitely excels in the bass to lower midrange. And yes, great movie phones. Easily excels the task A900's are meant to do.

I plan later on getting the RX700. From what I've read, it seems RX700 are more of a rock can then the 900. Anybody here has one and can give impressions even if just slight would help to know what I'll be buying as 900 to me are not great rock cans without the help of a convolver (Urei 1178 Impulse Hard) from foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back