JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
May 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #976 of 1,224
UPS just dropped off the RX700 and RX900. At first listen (no burn-in), I like the RX700 better. It sounds very close to the Denon D2000, but that's from memory of owning the D2000...twice so take that with a grain of salt. The RX700 has nice deep bass with good impact. The mids are a touch forward and warm and the highs have a little sparkle with a bit of sibilance. I hate bright headphones and these are definitely not bright. The mids are actually very good especially female vocals.

The RX900....the bass is like a fart canon that completely engulfs the entire frequency spectrum. I'm not even going to bother with these until at least 40 hours of burn-in have transpired. Once the bass subsides and tightens up, these will be good enough to compare to the RX700 out of the box.

The RX700...without a doubt...is definitely worth $41 shipped. I even like the pads on the RX700 more than the RX900, but they feel as though they won't last as long.

More impressions later.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #977 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPS just dropped off the RX700 and RX900. At first listen (no burn-in), I like the RX700 better. It sounds very close to the Denon D2000, but that's from memory of owning the D2000...twice so take that with a grain of salt. The RX700 has nice deep bass with good impact. The mids are a touch forward and warm and the highs have a little sparkle with a bit of sibilance. I hate bright headphones and these are definitely not bright. The mids are actually very good especially female vocals.

Just got my RX700 today too. The mids in the RX700 - forward and definitely not recessed (which is preferable), sssibilance, bass is impactful but with mid-bass hump (not that good at judging frequencies yet, also need much more listening time to give final verdict). Must say they are impressive for $40 cans. Compared to my SennPX100 (similar price range), these are instantly fun sounding/impressive cans. Definitely not a laid-back or neutral sounding headphone. Reminds of the descriptions I read about low end Grado phones, except these would have bass, some soundstage, and not as bright. Also, they are quite comfy. I like the pads. They aren't quite circumaural, they kind of rest on the tops of your ears (more comfortable than my woody Beyers, because these are much lighter). They are sturdy. The plastic doesn't look as expensive in real life, but the mesh headband and several pivot points and size adjusters are impressive considering the $40 price tag. There is a squeak in one of the pivot points, but I will try and figure out how to fix that... no big deal.

I will give more details and maybe some comparisons after some good amount of burn-in.

---------

Edit:
Mids are fantastic thus far. My fervor for famous Grado mids (sr80/225) subsiding.

---------
Edit:
Circumaural for sure. I guess the pads are just a little funny (very soft). Been adjusting the headphones around to see how I can get the best sound...

May 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #978 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rx700s are currently OOS at newegg.

Good to know it is mostly my fault too.
biggrin.gif

I bought one from Newegg just because of your post! I should be getting them today, I look forward to comparing them to the Koss A130 I'm currently using.

May 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #979 of 1,224
I have had 2 pairs of RX700 for about a month. Last night, I tried to do a comparison, 1 is new and hasn't been burn-in yet, the other one has been burned-in, felt modded and used for about 2-3 months. Now to the comparison: 1. the first thing i noticed is that the sound signature is the same between the two.
2. the mids in the new one is less forward. Just a little bit less detail in the new one maybe because of the felt.
3. the new one sounds a little bit grainy. This is very easy to notice from the background sound in the song.
4. the bass has the same impact, but the old one is tighter and a little bit less hump.
5. the soundstage is pretty good on the new one, but will get better after burn in.

I agree that this HP main strength is in it's mid frequency. Vocal sounds so damn good either man or woman (Diana Krall, Tony Bennet, Jamiroquai, Katie Melua, etc).

May 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #980 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. the new one sounds a little bit grainy. This is very easy to notice from the background sound in the song.

Good to hear the graininess will go away. I have been burning in the headphones all night too, but haven't taken a peak yet at the sound.

May 30, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #981 of 1,224
Well, I've been following this thread since its inception, and finally bought the RX700s the other day. They've been burned in for about 20hrs, more or less. Certainly better than my HD497s, but I do note some of the issues others have had, particularly in the mids and highs. I assume further burn in and the various mods will improve that.

My main concern is bass. I guess I'm a bass head. Yeah, commence the flaming. I have bass EQ turned up, and it doesn't seem to be sufficient in either extension or impact. I remember trying the HD280s for a month, and despite other flaws, I really liked the bass extension.

I'm wondering what other can I might try -- the DT770? Seems to be a logical next choice, but I'd appreciate any input others might have. Still, overall, very happy with the RX700s for only $41. Amazing! Thank you to all posters for your insight and education.

May 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #982 of 1,224
Quote:

Originally Posted by bogjam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering what other can I might try -- the DT770? Seems to be a logical next choice, but I'd appreciate any input others might have.

I'd recommend looking into both the M-Audio Q40 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

May 30, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #983 of 1,224
RX700 is not a bass heavy can. It has a decent enough bass without overpowering the other frequencies. My Denon C550 has more bass impact and boomyness than the RX700.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #984 of 1,224
I've had my RX700 for a couple days (enough to have about 55 hours of burn-in), and I have to say, they sound pretty darn good! I wasn't too happy with the treble at around the 50 hour mark, so I did the felt mod and it improved it slightly.

Compared to my Koss A130 (which I also got thanks to a thread here), the RX700 has bass that sounds like it goes lower and there's more of it. The midrange is more pronounced (not in a bad way), and the highs are a bit recessed (though some have called the A130 too bright).

The RX700 also seem a lot easier to drive than either the Koss a130 or the ksc-75; it does have lower impedance and higher sensitivity than either of those two headphones. The A130 doesn't sound very good coming straight out of an ipod or computer, but the RX700 sounds fine.

These may not be neutral sounding headphones, but they do make most music sound good. The Koss a130 sounds a bit flat in comparison. I'd agree with everybody else, these are definitely worth the ~$40
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #985 of 1,224
Thanks, epithetless and voicemaster, for your replies. As I think about what might better suit me, I'd like to get a sense of how the bass impact of something like the Denon AH-D1000K compares to that of the RX-700. It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but at this point I don't remember.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #986 of 1,224
Quote:

I'd like to get a sense of how the bass impact of something like the Denon AH-D1000K compares to that of the RX-700. It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but at this point I don't remember.

The RX 700's bass performance favors louder more agressive music than the D100(1). The Denon's bass is better developed at and for lower levels, IMO.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #987 of 1,224
Quote:

I'm wondering what other can I might try -- the DT770? Seems to be a logical next choice, but I'd appreciate any input others might have.

Try the JVC HA DX3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back