JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #4,696 of 4,826
Try lubricating hinges to solve creaking. I applied tiny amount of WD-40 and it helped a lot.

I've bought a used pair of SZ2000 thanks to this thread and...is there a possibility of getting a fake pair?

They creak like in the Z review. Running them from a Topping L30 and compared to other cans I own (Hifiman HE-4XX, Sony XB-500, Audio Technica ATH-M20X, various cheap Bluetooth IEM's...), the sound quality is laughable. This is one of the tracks I compared these with, from 1:44 onwards.
30hz EQ'd to +15dB, yeah there's bass, but nothing special, and the mids and highs are probably the worst I've ever heard from any headphone - they sound like earbuds you got in a box when buying a mp3 player back in 2005. I thought they're broken when I first plugged them in.

I'd be happy if an SZ2000 owner can compare the images below with their pair...

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #4,697 of 4,826
Perhaps I find bass of IEM's to be better due to perfect seal while over-ears simply rest on the ear. In both headphone types, as soon as the seal isn't perfect, even for a milimeter, all bass is gone.

Thanks for your input, I'll change the DAC for something that can produce 2V and then see if that's enough to really get that subwoofer-in-ear effect.

Is there any consensus on which Brainwavz pads to go with? Should I take angled or flat ones?

Brainwaves Sheepskin Leather Oval Pads: These are what I got for my old JVC pair, they look like this.
10116958.jpg

As you can see, the pads are thicker then the original pads.
10116959.jpg

This also shows the extra depth, keeping your ear lobes off the driver lol.
10116960.jpg

These pictures were taken before my JVC pair broke of course.

Please note that these pads will not last forever if you don't take care of them. Considering the expense of them, don't repeat my mistake. Use this Honey Leather conditioner product at least twice per year, apply a thin layer on both pads using a micro fiber cloth. Then let them sit for at least 6-hours before using again. Since getting my V-Moda can's, I have applied 1-treatment on them, to keep them Wicked Cushions pads in good shape.
Leather Honey Conditioner
11253694.jpg

Mar 10, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,698 of 4,826
I've bought a used pair of SZ2000 thanks to this thread and...is there a possibility of getting a fake pair?

They creak like in the Z review. Running them from a Topping L30 and compared to other cans I own (Hifiman HE-4XX, Sony XB-500, Audio Technica ATH-M20X, various cheap Bluetooth IEM's...), the sound quality is laughable. This is one of the tracks I compared these with, from 1:44 onwards.
30hz EQ'd to +15dB, yeah there's bass, but nothing special, and the mids and highs are probably the worst I've ever heard from any headphone - they sound like earbuds you got in a box when buying a mp3 player back in 2005. I thought they're broken when I first plugged them in.

I'd be happy if an SZ2000 owner can compare the images below with their pair...
That looks like the European version due to the Z series on the sides, the Japanese version has Livebeat instead if I'm not mistaken. I think the Z series labeled cans might not be able to handle as much power. I was looking at a thread that mentions this but not sure how true that is. Not sure it would be noticeable. My SZ2000's also creak, but sound good with EQ. They just sound mediocre out of the box.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #4,699 of 4,826
My SZ2000 has the Livebeat at the sides, when I purchased mine and plugged them into my laptop they sounded completely miserable and totally flat, even my Skullcandy crushers sounded way better, after many time I am truly enjoying my SZ2000's, they need at least 50 hours of burn-In, yeah I can tell you mine after that they sounds much better In all frequencies. Mine can also creak If amplification and EQ are Incorrect.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #4,700 of 4,826
Yep, you need at least 2-watts per channel going into 16-OHMS to drive JVC SZ series cans. Then to get the EQ you need, you want to raize the 32 to 64 hertz frequencies to +10DB, and set the higher frequencies to +8DB, keep the mids flat, and drop the GAIN down as low as it can go. Then like you said, they also require burn in. Mine didn't open up to their fullest till around 300-hours, so you still have burn in time on those.

Mar 11, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #4,701 of 4,826
Yep, you need at least 2-watts per channel going into 16-OHMS to drive JVC SZ series cans. Then to get the EQ you need, you want to raize the 32 to 64 hertz frequencies to +10DB, and set the higher frequencies to +8DB, keep the mids flat, and drop the GAIN down as low as it can go. Then like you said, they also require burn in. Mine didn't open up to their fullest till around 300-hours, so you still have burn in time on those.

I drive mine with more than 2 Watts from the balanced output of my amplifier. You mean lowering the input volume down as it can go? ok I will burn-in them for 300 hours more, thanks for the Info.

Mar 11, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #4,702 of 4,826
Then you have enough power to fully drive them. My SP200 puts out 6-watts per channel into 16 ohms, so I got the power too lol.

With EQ, there is a slider called GAIN, sometimes refered to as output level, it's your pre-amp. You want to keep your pre-amp volume well into the negative to prevent distortion.

This is standard procedure for using EQ, whenever you are razing frequencies.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,703 of 4,826
Then you have enough power to fully drive them. My SP200 puts out 6-watts per channel into 16 ohms, so I got the power too lol.

With EQ, there is a slider called GAIN, sometimes refered to as output level, it's your pre-amp. You want to keep your pre-amp volume well into the negative to prevent distortion.

My amplifier max output Is 1890 mw Into 64 ohms, so that Into 16 ohms would be? Is your amplifier yet more powerful than mine? anyway, I have a very well quality analog bass boost on mine.

Ah ok, you mean the pre amplification from the EQ, yes Is all set to negative.

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #4,704 of 4,826
SMSL SP200 SPECS...

6W x 2 (16ohm)
3W x 2 (32ohm)
440mW x 2 (300ohm)
220mW x 2 (600ohm)

Im guessing your amp is more powerful then even mine. So I think you have a super fine amp. I think 200-hours more listening is enough burn in hours.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #4,705 of 4,826
I think our amps are very similar on energy outputs, but forgot to say that my Dac Is a dac/"amp" too, so It kicks a little bit of extra beat into the equation.

Now the SMSL SP400 seems very interesting to taste.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #4,706 of 4,826
Thanks for your input, I'll change the DAC for something that can produce 2V and then see if that's enough to really get that subwoofer-in-ear effect.

Is there any consensus on which Brainwavz pads to go with? Should I take angled or flat ones?

I just saw my DAC can produce 6.6V max, now I am hearing the deepest sub bass from my SZ2000's. I can't beleive how bad I was trying to listen to them time ago, Incorrect In all aspects and therefore the sound I was getting was totally depressing.

Sadly I'm still using the original crappy pads from my cans, I will buy the angled and the flat but deep lambskin ones to taste each one.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #4,707 of 4,826
I just picked up an SZ2000, but unfortunately the pads are shot. My ears are just smushed right up against the drivers like they're halfway between on-ears and over-ears. I've also got the Sony XB700 and XB1000 and I can't get these to bump anywhere near as much as those, and I suspect it's the pads that are to blame.

What are the recommended replacement pads for these? I see some recommending Brainwavz HM5 pads or Dan Clark Alpha pads. I don't mind springing for the Alphas if they really do perform that much better than the Brainwavz, but I don't know. What's the best way to go here?

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #4,708 of 4,826
Brainwaves HM5 oval sheepskin pads worked well for me. Just make sure you take care of them, leather conditioner at least once or twice per year.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #4,709 of 4,826
I had some spare Brainwavz velour XL pads laying around, so I slapped those on just to verify it was a pad problem and not a headphone problem. And uhhhhhhhh yeah, the headphones are fine. These things are absolutely brutal, holy crap, lol. Can't wait to get proper pads on these.

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #4,710 of 4,826
I tried all different kinds of pads, all different kinds of material, and I ended up using the Alpha pads for the JVC's. Nothing I tried brought the soundstage up like they did while allowing the lows to still shine. They were the best hands down for me. I loved the pads so much that even though I've since sold my SZ2k's, I still have the pads and they are on my Monolith M570's now. HERE is a post I made back in 2017 when I was testing out the Alphas and some others on the JVC's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back