JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #4,576 of 4,826
I am really sorry this happened on 2-pairs of JVC's! Its a real nightmare when something you love breaks on you. Thats what is happening to my TV right now. LED's are going out and flickering, and dark spots are showing on bright screens, its terrible. Its even worse when you know something is dieing or is broken, but you don't have the money to replace it right now. I myself have been curious as to what the proper replacement to the JVC's cans were going to be. I've heard very few recommendations from people on the subject, probably cause there is not a whole lot out there that can match what JVC's do. I think I am aware of the bluetooth JVC cans you are talking about.

And to answer your question, you can't amp a bluetooth can, they have their own op-amps that operate off the battery. But you can EQ them still, although I find that bluetooth cans seem to not take EQ as well as big wired cans. I also own the Cowin E7 Pro's, which are a popular bluetooth can that uses 40mm drivers. They actually sound pretty good for their driver size, but obviously don't compare to a JVC 55mm Kelton Nano Tube driver lol. But when I raze the bass on my tablet app, it makes the bass a bit muddied on the Cowin E7 Pro's. I am going to look up those V-Moda Crossfades LP2 cans.

So far, I've been quite lucky that mine have not snapped. Its really unfortunate that it has happened to so many JVC owners, that we can obviously see a pattern here. Its also unfortunate that JVC has no interest in supporting the basshead community. But waiting for a company to put out a product you want, is like waiting for the government to solve its problems. In other words, it probably aint gonna happen. And were going to have to jump ship to somebody elses product to get what we want. Please give us a full review on the V-Moda Crossfades LP2 when you get a chance. :)

Ha, thank you for your sympathy.

Ya, shame, I had even used friction tape to reinforce where the 1st pair snapped. Guess I should have reinforced every moving part, heh.

Yeah, you're right about JVC keeping up with their consumers. I've searched high and low and nothing has as much bass as their SZ2000/1000. I've tasted the forbidden fruit and now must downgrade a bit, ha.

Which is ok. I'll keep living. If I really have the time it's still possible I might be able to fix them, initially it was just reattaching the plastic break, tried few methods, super glue gave out, and because only thing keeping the huge earcup on was the 2 little wires, one eventually severed and so gave up on plastic fixes. Would have to fix wiring first, which at first glance would be tricky if not impossible. Well, I guess I could cut both cords and solder same gauge. But still need find a way to get at them (only like 1/4 inch is visible).

Anyway, I've tested the Crossfade LP2s enough to be satisfied. Used frequency app and with the amp, from 20HZ to 80HZ with ZERO distortion, full volume on amp and phone.

Possible I might exchange them out for the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s, about 100$ more, but I guess they're, uh, better? I forget why or specs, ha, but most people, including on hear, suggest the m100s almost 10 ot 10 times.

Yeah, I know you can't amp wireless, although.....I have the Sony - XB950B1 Extra Bass Wireless Over-the-Ear Headphones and they do include an optional TRRS cable. Haven't tested with amp though. They're no SZs or even Crossfades, but dang, for wireless, I actually use them a lot, and have a few apps that have gain adjustments past what my iphone volume goes to.

Anyway...will try to report on any updates.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #4,577 of 4,826
Ha, thank you for your sympathy.

Ya, shame, I had even used friction tape to reinforce where the 1st pair snapped. Guess I should have reinforced every moving part, heh.

Yeah, you're right about JVC keeping up with their consumers. I've searched high and low and nothing has as much bass as their SZ2000/1000. I've tasted the forbidden fruit and now must downgrade a bit, ha.

Which is ok. I'll keep living. If I really have the time it's still possible I might be able to fix them, initially it was just reattaching the plastic break, tried few methods, super glue gave out, and because only thing keeping the huge earcup on was the 2 little wires, one eventually severed and so gave up on plastic fixes. Would have to fix wiring first, which at first glance would be tricky if not impossible. Well, I guess I could cut both cords and solder same gauge. But still need find a way to get at them (only like 1/4 inch is visible).

Anyway, I've tested the Crossfade LP2s enough to be satisfied. Used frequency app and with the amp, from 20HZ to 80HZ with ZERO distortion, full volume on amp and phone.

Possible I might exchange them out for the V-Moda Crossfade M-100s, about 100$ more, but I guess they're, uh, better? I forget why or specs, ha, but most people, including on hear, suggest the m100s almost 10 ot 10 times.

Yeah, I know you can't amp wireless, although.....I have the Sony - XB950B1 Extra Bass Wireless Over-the-Ear Headphones and they do include an optional TRRS cable. Haven't tested with amp though. They're no SZs or even Crossfades, but dang, for wireless, I actually use them a lot, and have a few apps that have gain adjustments past what my iphone volume goes to.

Anyway...will try to report on any updates.

I have not heard any BT headphones that rumble like the XB950B1's. They EQ really nicely IMO, and they thump hard AF. I have been using them for going on 2 years now, and have had no problems but they also have plastic in all the wrong places. I expect the swivels too explode anytime as plastic weakens as it gets old/dries out.

Apr 7, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #4,578 of 4,826
I have not heard any BT headphones that rumble like the XB950B1's. They EQ really nicely IMO, and they thump hard AF. I have been using them for going on 2 years now, and have had no problems but they also have plastic in all the wrong places. I expect the swivels too explode anytime as plastic weakens as it gets old/dries out.

I never heard of your headphones, so I decided to look them up on Amazon. And I have to say, the amount of reviews showing pictures of damaged headphones is staggering. Additionally, there was another reviewer that showed a picture that an AUX cable wasn't able to fully go into the port because it was too fat, the manufactuere didn't bother to check that? Sony used to be a good company, most known for making stereo's, walkman's, receivers, movie camcorders.

But now days they are crap. I bought a Sony 5.1 surround sound system back in the late 2000's, it lasted about 5-years until the center channel went out, and if you have it too loud, it goes into protect mode. Oh I forgot to mention that it also fried the subwoofer that came with it, it would blow fuses every time you turned the sub on. Frankly, for the quality of Sony to have gone down this much, they must have sold their soul to china. Cause things made in Japan are high quality so yeah.

I've bookmarked the V Moda's, they seem nice as a replacement can. :L3000:

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #4,580 of 4,826
Naw. Sony still makes the dopest stuff. The main problem is that they started catering to low tier and mid tier markets. That's been a tarnish to their name. Their ToTL stuff is still light years ahead of most everybody.
I never heard of your headphones, so I decided to look them up on Amazon. And I have to say, the amount of reviews showing pictures of damaged headphones is staggering. Additionally, there was another reviewer that showed a picture that an AUX cable wasn't able to fully go into the port because it was too fat, the manufactuere didn't bother to check that? Sony used to be a good company, most known for making stereo's, walkman's, receivers, movie camcorders.

But now days they are crap. I bought a Sony 5.1 surround sound system back in the late 2000's, it lasted about 5-years until the center channel went out, and if you have it too loud, it goes into protect mode. Oh I forgot to mention that it also fried the subwoofer that came with it, it would blow fuses every time you turned the sub on. Frankly, for the quality of Sony to have gone down this much, they must have sold their soul to china. Cause things made in Japan are high quality so yeah.

I've bookmarked the V Moda's, they seem nice as a replacement can. :L3000:

Naw. Sony still makes the dopest stuff. The main problem is that they started catering to low tier and mid tier markets. That's been a tarnish to their name. Their ToTL stuff is still light years ahead of most everybody.

Yeah, in my experience Sony has generally been rock solid. I have a soft spot cuz it was one of the first receivers I ever bought, saved and saved in my piggy bank. That was about 17 years ago. Aside from the TOSLINK input being slightly chipped (but working), the receiver works like the day I bought it. Currently using another one about 15 years old in the bedroom.

And parents have a few Sony TVs 20+ years still work.

I'm sure there's crap products, but hey, just one man's opinion.

Apr 21, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4,582 of 4,826
Will be getting the sz2000 after wanting them since they came out.

Don't forget to take pics of them, and your amp setup for them :ksc75smile:

Apr 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #4,584 of 4,826
I don't have amp

OK FYI, these cans require an amp in order to drive them properly. I assume the source you are plugging these into will be a phone? Then you most certainly need an amp! I recommend the Fiio A5 portable amp. Also, these cans require some EQ work. If you are using a phone, you can use an app to adjust EQ. I am going to post a picture of the settings I am using on my hardware amp.

My Fiio A5-AMP
10191883.jpg

EQ Settings On My Hardware Equalizer Box
lp2VY2H.jpg

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #4,585 of 4,826
OK FYI, these cans require an amp in order to drive them properly. I assume the source you are plugging these into will be a phone? Then you most certainly need an amp! I recommend the Fiio A5 portable amp. Also, these cans require some EQ work. If you are using a phone, you can use an app to adjust EQ. I am going to post a picture of the settings I am using on my hardware amp.

My Fiio A5-AMP
10191883.jpg

EQ Settings On My Hardware Equalizer Box
lp2VY2H.jpg
Why use EQ , I havent used EQ ever since I join way back in the days . Plus my phone should be good enough

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #4,588 of 4,826
Why use EQ , I havent used EQ ever since I join way back in the days . Plus my phone should be good enough

OK, I am going to let all the other's who have used these cans explain it to you, since you won't take my word for it. I've owned my SZ1000's for years, and I learned real quickly the difference between not using an amp, and using an amp did. I also listened to the experts here and EQ'd the cans, that also made a difference. School Bell Rings, time for school, education time!

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #4,589 of 4,826
I don't have amp

You wasted your money then. Without amp AND EQ, these things suck. Like really really horrible. Like What were JVC even thinking? And to sell them at $350 too?

With AMP AND EQ, there is not a headphone or earphone with as much slam and impact as these. They can easily cause CTE. I cant even remember where they hell I am most days.

Whats going on here?

Who am I?

Apr 21, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #4,590 of 4,826
BadReligionPunk... Your at the most badass headphone forum on the internet :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back