JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #4,173 of 4,826
@SHAMuuu & @bluchicboi
ty for the recommendation for epoxy i can pick that up down the street @ a hardware store i'm sure.

@Fearless1 
ty for the recommendation for molding plastic. i'll look into that if epoxy doesn't due the trick since it's more easily accessible. i'm too impatient to wait for shipping
and LOL @ Charlie Brown's xmas tree

ty for all the helpful comments. that's why this thread is awesome 

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #4,174 of 4,826
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your guys headphones breaking on you, this is becoming a real pattern with these things. And those SZ2K's cost a lot of money to have that happen. A couple things to mention. I have the SZ1K's as some of you well know. First and formost, I wear headphones more often then most people, so I probably have 1000 hours or close to that on my headphones, and I've only had them for like 8 months I guess. I am still using the stock pads, and even with these pads, these can's have a huge clamping force that I was never accustomed to, and nobody really ever talked about before I made my purchase. Its is indeed possible, that by not using the thicker HM5 pads, there is reduced stress on that hinge. And secondly, I never fold my headphones, I have had it happen a couple of times by accident, but never by intention, I do not keep them on a headphone stand.

While I am sure some people might say, OMG, you don't keep your nice cans on a stand, whats wrong with you? Firstly, I am bleeping cheep, you think I am going to pay the high cost for a headphone stand, you gotta be out of your mind. Secondly, headphone stands force your cans to be stretched out to hold them on the stand. I just lay my cans on a tv tray when not in use. This is not necessarily to say that my cans won't break at their hinge at some point in their life, but I'd like to think that my prospects are better because of it. Also, when I put them on my head, I don't overly stretch them out, I only stretch out just enough I can feel them rubbing against my ear as I slip them on, then let the rediculous clamping force eat my ear lobes. lol Now I have noticed a strange new developement with the stock pads, and its not really the pads themselves, but rather the foam inside the hole of them.

When these cans were new, the foam inside the whole was just flat, normal, as you would expect. But now they have developed these weird roundish ring shapes in the foam, possibly due to the driver behind them IDK. And I notice more stress on my ears that were not there before. I guess this means I now need the HM5 pads. But because of all these accounts of the hinge breaking, I am extremely reluctant to slip on thicker pads. Time will tell of the durability of my cans holds up. Again, I am really sorry to hear you guys's stories of your broken cans. I can only hope that you can fix them. And I also hope that JVC has been monitoring all these reports. Because if they make another can with a flimsy hinge, they deserve to lose money in sales.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,175 of 4,826
@StarTreker
 And those SZ2K's cost a lot of money to have that happen.

I've had cans DOUBLE this price (Sennheiser) that were all plastic along the sides. They broke the same way. It's very common in my observation for cans to be all plastic there.
 I wear headphones more often then most people, so I probably have 1000 hours or close to that on my headphones, and I've only had them for like 8 months I guess

I've had mine for just a lil over a year. I am home most the day (Disabled) so probably put them on and off ~5 times a day but still, they should last a lot longer than that.
 Firstly, I am bleeping cheep, you think I am going to pay the high cost for a headphone stand, you gotta be out of your mind. Secondly, headphone stands force your cans to be stretched out to hold them on the stand.

So am I. I used to make pretty decent money, that's the only reason I bought those Sennheisers b4. Now, unfortunately like I said, I'm disabled and money is tight. I saved quite a while to buy these cans with a modest amp to run them. I didn't want an expensive stand either and certainly wasn't ok with one that stretches them. I just didn't want to just lay them down and it was more convenient for putting them on/off if they were hanging near me on my desk (I only use them on my PC where I spend most my time. I never take them out and therefore, never have a reason to fold them and haven't either). The stand I use, which I would recommend for you is the one in my profile pic and also my last post with the earbuds hanging on them as a joke. That's a good pic of them. The headphone band at the top just rests on that curved part at the top. Very gentle, no stress on the headphones. It's very moderately priced (why I bought it). Made of hard plastic or acrylic something like that. It's made by the same company as the HM5's which is what I have on mine in brown (Brainwavz). 
On Amazon for only $16:
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Quartz-Headphone-Stand-Sizes/dp/B00D73JV6G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1492003285&sr=8-5&keywords=brainwavz+headphone+stand
 Also, when I put them on my head, I don't overly stretch them out, I only stretch out just enough I can feel them rubbing against my ear as I slip them on

That's exactly what I do. I'm a small guy so I don't have a big head either. I just have to stretch them slightly more cuz of the HM5s. Which I'm actually surprised haven't bothered you for 8 months at high useage. I found the stock ones to be extremely uncomfortable. After one day my ear cartilage was sore, so I bought the HM5's from recommendation in this thread. My ears are flat, they don't stick out. Those pads are just very shallow. 
 And I also hope that JVC has been monitoring all these reports. Because if they make another can with a flimsy hinge, they deserve to lose money in sales.

I doubt anything would change. So many companies do the same thing. They don't care. I should have had a red flag after seeing it is almost the same exact hinge as the Sony studio monitors, which also sucks and breaks easily. I love these headphones and hope the recommendations here for fixing them works. I haven't tried yet cuz I'm so busy with a move.
I'll keep them and continue to be as gentle as possible like I was before. I loved/love them as much as everyone else does in this thread but honestly (and unfortunately), I'd never buy another pair if the fix doesn't hold out.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #4,181 of 4,826
@bluchicboi: May not noticeable from far. Lol! added some metal plate front and back for added support.

Yea saw something shiny there but didn't know what it was until i saw this post after. thats a good idea. i'll look for something similar at the hardware store when i pick up epoxy

@bluchicboi : One reminder bro, dont forget to angle it first from your ears before applying epoxy.. =)

oh yea for sure, def planned on doin that. ty for the reminder thou 
beerchug.gif

also, awesome setup

Yea just been so busy with a move comin up that i might just have to gently pack em up first and do it at the new place

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #4,182 of 4,826
Yea that is the headphones weakness. Been documented early on in the thread. I baby the hell out of my headphone and case em when not in use, but it still doesn't matter. Plastic eventually dries out and becomes brittle. My pro 500's are my favorite pair of headphones ever, and have developed a small crack in the headband for no reason at all.

Good luck with the fix. We will all probably end up there eventually.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #4,183 of 4,826
A little blast from the past when music made sense, before Justin Beeber was a teenage thing, before Lady Gaga became an overhyped music sensation, and before the silly arse most modern tennage pop began poisoning the music world. The early thousands IMO, is when Hip Hop and RAP were at their best. So what are you listening to now on your JVC SZ 1-2-K's ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBSyx85Kp8

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #4,184 of 4,826
I have a pair of SZ2000's along with a schiit magni 2 uber amp. I see videos upon videos of these headphones bass slamming 10 times harder but I'm just SO PARANOID about blowing these bitches. Anyone here know how much power I could put to these SZ2000's without needing to worry about blowing them? I have temptations to just turn the amp up full blast but my love for these headphones have stopped me from doing so.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #4,185 of 4,826
Both the JVC SZ1000 and SZ2000 have a max power rating of 1.5 watts. So if you just push them to 1 watt, you should be well bellow blowing them. And at 1W, those cans should be popping your nut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back