JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #4,126 of 4,826
I'm trying a lot of different settings for the 1K to listen to Rock, Pop and Dance music, but I'm really not satisfied.
It always seems like something is missing in the music.
Can someone provide me an Equalizer APO Profile to try it?

This is my current profile:

Preamp: -10 dB
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 45 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 2.16
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 60 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 1.2
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 1.4
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 170 Hz Gain -8 dB Q 1.7
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 400 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 0.75
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 750 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2.4
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain 8 dB Q 6
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 1
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 6000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.3
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 0.98
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 16000 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 1
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 120 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 1.41

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #4,129 of 4,826
I know this information might be in this thread somewhere and I searched around without finding anything but is there a difference between the SZ1000/2000's that say "Z Series" and "Live Beat" on the cups?

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #4,131 of 4,826
Hi.  I am (hopefully) looking at getting an amp and a pair of 2000's for my birthday in April.  I'm brand spanking new to the world of amps and nice headphones.  From what I gather after I get the headphones I need to:

1.  Get new earpads.  No problem.  I understand this.

2.  Get a good amp.  This is where I am confused.  The price rage would be $100, unless jumping up 20-30 will get me something much better.
I don't care a ton about being portable, though it could be handy on occasion.  I keep seeing the Cayin C5 mentioned as a go to.  
I assume this is what everyone talks about. 
https://www.amazon.com/C5-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Brushed-Warranty/dp/B00T896120/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490890470&sr=1-1&keywords=Cayin+C5

Is there a better option that is non-portable, or is this just my best bet?

3.  EQ,  I'll get to that when I get too it.  No need to put the horse before the card.

Sorry if I sound naive or dumb.  I'd rather ask, just to be sure on everything, than "guess" on an amp and go through hassle of getting a different one.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #4,132 of 4,826

The Schiit Magni 2 is $99 and outputs up to 1.8 watts RMS at 16 ohms. I had a Magni 2 Uber ($149) but long before I got the SZ2000.

The iDSD is available used for well under $300. I'm actually getting a used one from a member of this thread!

Thank you for the recommendations! So the iDSD is the very best possible amp for these headphones? If I spend that kind of money I want to make damn sure it's the best. It would have to be something to save up for. Also, I thought I'd mention I really don't care too much about making these portable as I'll be mainly using them with my desktop computer so if there is a better desktop amp that is better/cheaper I don't mind if it has to be plugged in or is big and bulky. Also, I have done more research and found out a lot of people use the Cayin C5 Amp with these headphones? Is that also an equal or better cheaper alternative than the other amps you mentioned? Also does changing the pads increase the bass or sound quality or is it just for comfort because I really don't mind them?

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,133 of 4,826
  Glad to hear that, actually a good earpad pair has more impact on SQ than anything.

Not quite as important as the recording, headphones, etc.
tongue.gif

Thank you for the recommendations! So the iDSD is the very best possible amp for these headphones? If I spend that kind of money I want to make damn sure it's the best. It would have to be something to save up for. Also, I thought I'd mention I really don't care too much about making these portable as I'll be mainly using them with my desktop computer so if there is a better desktop amp that is better/cheaper I don't mind if it has to be plugged in or is big and bulky. Also, I have done more research and found out a lot of people use the Cayin C5 Amp with these headphones? Is that also an equal or better cheaper alternative than the other amps you mentioned? Also does changing the pads increase the bass or sound quality or is it just for comfort because I really don't mind them?

I'm not omniscient, so I don't know what the best possible amp is. But $300 is chump change. There are amps out there that cost five figures.

I don't think anyone will say the C5 is as good as the iDSD.

If you want the most bass slam, you'll need to buy either the JVC HA-M55X or HA-MR77X (look on eBay), take their pads off, and put them on the SZ. Other pads (like the Brainwavz sheepskin leather ones that I own but have yet to try on the SZ) will have better comfort and sound quality, but not as much slam.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,135 of 4,826

Hi.  I am (hopefully) looking at getting an amp and a pair of 2000's for my birthday in April.  I'm brand spanking new to the world of amps and nice headphones.  From what I gather after I get the headphones I need to:

1.  Get new earpads.  No problem.  I understand this.

2.  Get a good amp.  This is where I am confused.  The price rage would be $100, unless jumping up 20-30 will get me something much better.
I don't care a ton about being portable, though it could be handy on occasion.  I keep seeing the Cayin C5 mentioned as a go to.  
I assume this is what everyone talks about. 
https://www.amazon.com/C5-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Brushed-Warranty/dp/B00T896120/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490890470&sr=1-1&keywords=Cayin+C5

Is there a better option that is non-portable, or is this just my best bet?

3.  EQ,  I'll get to that when I get too it.  No need to put the horse before the card.

Sorry if I sound naive or dumb.  I'd rather ask, just to be sure on everything, than "guess" on an amp and go through hassle of getting a different one.

Thanks!

If you guys are looking for something that's around $150 and has bass boost the best option is the cayin c5.  if you guys don't mind desktop then the Magni2 uber is the best option for around $150 and you get more power than the c5.   The Magni doesn't have a bass boost so you will need to rely on you eq skills to get the sz to slam.  Majority of desktop amps lack bass boost.

The best of both worlds would be the iFi iCAN SE.   Has gobs of power and a wonderful bass boost.  its strictly a desktop amp and can be had for around $200 used $300 new.

The seasoned players around here recommend the iDSD because its a great all in one.  Its has good DAC part, powerful amp part, its semi-portable and has a bunch of connectivity so you can hook up multiple devices to it.  Basically you can use it as a desktop or strap your phone to it for on the go.  It does have a bass boost, but nowhere near the levels of the c5 or iCan SE.

The BEST is a subjective thing.  What I do suggest is that you will want something with at least 800mw @32 ohms.  Power output is key for the SZ.   the bass region is a power hungry monster.
  I'm trying a lot of different settings for the 1K to listen to Rock, Pop and Dance music, but I'm really not satisfied.
It always seems like something is missing in the music.
Can someone provide me an Equalizer APO Profile to try it?

This is my current profile:

Yeah it takes a LOT of work to make the sz to sound good with everything.  I only use them for hip-hop and edm.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,136 of 4,826
  If you guys are looking for something that's around $150 and has bass boost the best option is the cayin c5.  if you guys don't mind desktop then the Modi uber is the best option for around $150 and you get more power than the c5.   The modi doesn't have a bass boost so you will need to rely on you eq skills to get the sz to slam.  Majority of desktop amps lack bass boost.

You meant the Magni 2 Uber amp, not the Modi 2 Uber DAC.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #4,139 of 4,826

What else? Details, please!

For starters you could google "sound processing VST" 

I just did and even clicked the first 5 results to make sure they were helpful.And they will even teach you the different forms of sound processing that are possible!

Of course you'll have to realize that professionally oriented plugins are not geared towards audiophiles and as such don't have instant "make it good" modes or there would be no need for any knobs or any of this gear. You'll have to be willing to learn how to use them properly and how to use each tool to do what you want.

A hint, you probably dont want stuff like "reverb" and "distortion". You probably want stuff like "compression" and "FFT".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back