JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,706 of 4,826
  Shucks I never noticed that on my m50x and I'm using same settings and amp. Is there really no way around this aside from modding the hell out of these?

Nope, its just the nature of the beast, power getting to one side before the other, or more of it.  It only happens or you noticing it is when your bassing out because its the hungriest part of the frequencies.   It happens to my brother's m50x, my audio technica ws1000, and my oppo pm-3 when I push it to the limit.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #3,710 of 4,826

Nope, its just the nature of the beast, power getting to one side before the other, or more of it.  It only happens or you noticing it is when your bassing out because its the hungriest part of the frequencies.   It happens to my brother's m50x, my audio technica ws1000, and my oppo pm-3 when I push it to the limit.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this answers something I thought about on many occasions while blasting music

Makes sense in a way

Though not happy of its existence
devil_face.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #3,711 of 4,826

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm this answers something I thought about on many occasions while blasting music

Makes sense in a way

Though not happy of its existence
devil_face.gif

This also happens when your amplifier isn't properly "balanced" on the hardware level.  Tiny tolerance differences don't come up until pushed to the upper limits. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #3,712 of 4,826
  This also happens when your amplifier isn't properly "balanced" on the hardware level.  Tiny tolerance differences don't come up until pushed to the upper limits. 

Now I'm starting to understand why many of these long time headphone ppl go all out and get these balanced amps, high end wires, get dual entry cables.

If it settles the mind, after the issues are corrected, and the psycho-acoustic serenity. These little issue can make one mad.

L3000.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3,713 of 4,826
  Now I'm starting to understand why many of these long time headphone ppl go all out and get these balanced amps, high end wires, get dual entry cables.

If it settles the mind, after the issues are corrected, and the psycho-acoustic serenity. These little issue can make one mad.

L3000.gif

A balanced headphone amp is nothing more then a dual mono amp, if you think about it.  Zero signal bleed into the other channel.
 High end wires are only worth it, if you can actually hear a difference in the type of music you are listening too.  Most of it is snake oil.  And cable upgrades should always be your last upgrade.  You can have the best cables in the world, but they are nothing without a proper tight connection. You want max surface making contact to get the signal through. I just found out how badass the Burson V4 opamp is for Basshead use in my Parasound amp. So impressed that I just purchased 4 of the buggers for cheap. For my portable amps,  the Muses02 with an extra capacitor is king for basshead use.  Soon I'll have the Burson cable+ to mess with and see if I can get an improvement in my subbass department straight out of my phone, cheesy heaphone outputs of tables, PC's and whatnot. Things I do for Thunder-Bass........

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,714 of 4,826
  A balanced headphone amp is nothing more then a dual mono amp, if you think about it.  Zero signal bleed into the other channel.
 High end wires are only worth it, if you can actually hear a difference in the type of music you are listening too.  Most of it is snake oil.  And cable upgrades should always be your last upgrade.  You can have the best cables in the world, but they are nothing without a proper tight connection. You want max surface making contact to get the signal through. I just found out how badass the Burson V4 opamp is for Basshead use in my Parasound amp. So impressed that I just purchased 4 of the buggers for cheap. For my portable amps,  the Muses02 with an extra capacitor is king for basshead use.  Soon I'll have the Burson cable+ to mess with and see if I can get an improvement in my subbass department straight out of my phone, cheesy heaphone outputs of tables, PC's and whatnot. Things I do for Thunder-Bass........

Sorry I'm a little confused. Long day. Lets stick to sz2k as an example.

So if one were to convert to dual entry, and get a balanced amp, then more likely than not (though not guaranteed), the balance issues would cease? Balance issues; in that, at extreme levels of bass, there is less chance of imbalance. I am confused a little bit as to the dual mono (balanced as you say) with dual entry cable vs mono signal split into dual entry cable being favorable.

Is this correct? Am I misunderstanding something? If i have misunderstood, perhaps simplification. I'm not a super techy individual and have no acoustical/electrical engineering academic training, so my understanding is limited to basics. Thanks

happy_face1.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,715 of 4,826

Thanks, but can you list the exact parametric EQ settings? (Frequency, gain, bandwidth.) Otherwise I can't copy it.

Alright, here we go. I'll list them out for you starting with HZ, gain, then bandwidth.

15hz, +2.0db, Q0.9
30hz, +5.1db, Q1.0
58hz, +5.0db, Q1.5
85hz, +2.0db, Q1.5
160hz, -3.8db, Q0.8
300hz, -5.3db, Q0.9
500hz, -4.4db, Q1.0
1khz, -1.4db, Q0.9
2khz, -0.8db, Q0.9
3khz, -0.6db, Q0.9
5khz, +1.4db, Q0.9
6.5khz, -0.6db, Q1.5
10khz, +1.0db, Q1.0
15khz, +1.5db, Q1.0

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,716 of 4,826

So if one were to convert to dual entry, and get a balanced amp, then more likely than not (though not guaranteed), the balance issues would cease? Correct.  The next limitation would be how well the woofers were matched during assembly.
Balance issues; in that, at extreme levels of bass, there is less chance of imbalance. Correct.  But this way you will also hear how well your music has been recorded/mixed.  If the bass wasn't balanced well during mixing, you will now know it's not your JVC.
I am confused a little bit as to the dual mono (balanced as you say) with dual entry cable vs mono signal split into dual entry cable being favorable.  There is no mono signal, just stereo.  The left and right channel of your stereo signal gets amplified separately in a "dual mono" setup.  This way you stay the purest to the stereo format.   

Is this correct? Am I misunderstanding something? If i have misunderstood, perhaps simplification. I'm not a super techy individual and have no acoustical/electrical engineering academic training, so my understanding is limited to basics. Thanks

happy_face1.gif

It's a forum man and I'm here to share what I know.  It's more fun when everybody can enjoy their JVC's at the same level, right?

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,717 of 4,826

If the only things altered are the frequency, gain, and bandwidth settings, why wouldn't it be the same?

In any case, the settings should translate between apps well enough.

Because not all Parametric EQs are designed as well as all others. Certain ones might have automated features others don't. Some might not connect the dots the same way all others do. There are billions of free para EQs out there so take you pick on which you like. It goes without saying im a ReaEQ man.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #3,719 of 4,826

So if one were to convert to dual entry, and get a balanced amp, then more likely than not (though not guaranteed), the balance issues would cease? Balance issues; in that, at extreme levels of bass, there is less chance of imbalance. I am confused a little bit as to the dual mono (balanced as you say) with dual entry cable vs mono signal split into dual entry cable being favorable.

happy_face1.gif

Let me add more to what my man said so some people don't get the wrong idea that you need a balanced amp to fix some imbalance in headphones.

With two pieces of well built gear, there will be no difference in the output.  The imbalance will come from the headphone side.  For example, I have the sony pha-3 (balance) and idsd micro (unbalanced) that I used to drive my pm-3.  With everything relatively the same, power output, source, and aftermarket cables.  I experience the same imbalance with both amps cuz the pm-3 is only a single sided imput.  If I would mod the headphones to except dual entry, I can say with confidence that there will be no imbalance between both channels with both amps.

Why do I have both? Its about the power for me because both amps are pretty much on par in terms of sq.  No dac/amp combo in a protable form can give me the power that I get with the sony in balanced mode.

So yeah, well built gear is well built gear.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #3,720 of 4,826

I just got a slightly used pair from Amazon.  I have a set of headphones, and IEMs that I am extremely happy with, and I will not part with.  I bought the JVC because I read people saying it is not a matter of how much bass the cans can put out, it is a matter of how much you can handle!  Sounds like fun to me!

I am getting distortion of some kind when I try boosting the bass way up.  One of my favorite test tacks is "Drive Like I've Never Been Hurt" by Ry Cooder.  Unfortunately, when I boost the bass beyond about 8 dB, I get a stutter, or chatter when the vocals come back, right after the hard hit of the bass.
I get the exact same thing when playing Aerosmith's Livin' On the Edge, when the drums hits so hard at about 3:30.  When vocals come back, I get that stutter.

Wondering what is causing this.  I am using Music Bee, and the equalizer that is built into it, and the files are FLAC.  My DAC/amp is Schiit Magni Modi stack.  I have tried attaching a screenshot of my EQ settings.

Is it hardware? Software?  I'm not sure what I am hearing, but I know it is not right!

Don't get me wrong, the 'phones are producing massive bass, but no way can I boost it up to 10 dB.

Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back