JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #3,691 of 4,826
What app or software are you using to eq?  Do you know how to eq properly?  Is the amp on high gain?

The app is the one included with the Sound Blaster E5, I daresay it's decent. The amp has two options for gain: 0 or 16, tried both. As for the ability to Eq, I can't say I'm an expert. I just followed the instructions previously stated in this here.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #3,692 of 4,826

What app or software are you using to eq?  Do you know how to eq properly?  Is the amp on high gain?

The app is the one included with the Sound Blaster E5, I daresay it's decent. The amp has two options for gain: 0 or 16, tried both. As for the ability to Eq, I can't say I'm an expert. I just followed the instructions previously stated in this here.

^My SZ2k settings in the Sound Blaster E5 software. I have the physical E5 switch on high gain, SBX is off, volume on the E5 is set to 40%, 3.5mm out to my amp, then adjust volume from my amp. Slam is real. YMMV and all that.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #3,695 of 4,826

^My SZ2k settings in the Sound Blaster E5 software. I have the physical E5 switch on high gain, SBX is off, volume on the E5 is set to 40%, 3.5mm out to my amp, then adjust volume from my amp. Slam is real. YMMV and all

I didn't know u can EQ with the SBX off. Will try that, thnx.

The EQ still works with SBX off. The EQ settings in that image are what I use for the SZ2k. 

I eq almost in the same manner but with SBX and bass boost on. I tried switching between high and low gain on E5 with the amp on and there was no difference. I'll retry using ur exact settings. There is a greater rumble now, I'd say it is enough if i hadn't seen all those paper test videos :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #3,696 of 4,826
I tried the bass boost on the E5 software and it just didn't sound right to me, I got more lows without it. As for the other SBX settings, those are personal preference, should be fine with them on.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #3,697 of 4,826
I tried the bass boost on the E5 software and it just didn't sound right to me, I got more lows without it. As for the other SBX settings, those are personal preference, should be fine with them on.

You know i had the same experience with sz and e5.

But sbx was one of my favorite parts of e5. Well i wanted one that was similar but internal for computer use and a bass crossover that went below the stupid arbitrary limit on the e5 software, set to 20 or 30hz or something minimum.

Luckily they made the titanium hd x-fi! That is what i use currently. And yes with the bass boost you can bring the crossover freq as low as 1hz which is perfect. I forget what mine is set to but it's absolutely perfect for the sz in conjunction with eq. Dont think the creative controls for the xfi ti hd offer eq though.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #3,698 of 4,826
I'd love the E5 so much more with that capability in its bass boost. I enjoy the SBX settings when I'm using the E5 as DAC and amp, but I when I use it as just the DAC to my tube amp I keep it off and let the tube sound come through.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #3,699 of 4,826

Yes I think blind bass boosting isn't worth, it usually turn things muddy. What However, I'm at that stage where I'm trying to use many variations of settings as possible till I reach the optimum one.

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,700 of 4,826
I'm in the market for new headphones and after some research I discovered the "The Hardest hitting Headphones" thread (thx a lot). After digging through this impression thread and several other sources I still have some unanswered questions (maybe due to their subjective matter^^).
A fair warning, I'm totally clueless about this subject (as this is my first, more ore less ; ), serious headphone purchase), so please forgive me my ignorance
redface.gif
. So if you would help me to figure out if this is the right fit for me I'd be very grateful.

So first off I'm a big bass fan (obviously^^) and not overally worried about anything else, but I plan to use only one pair of headphones, so I'm a bit anxious that those wont perform really well in other areas than bass (mainly gaming). As an other option I had the V-MODA M-100 in mind.
Also is the sz2000 worth the upgrade compared to the sz1000? (for me it would be 230€ compared to 140€) I don't mind spending more money if I get its worth (build quality and sturdiness is also very important to me).

For the amp I gathered that the Cayin C5 would be the best choice? I really don't mind having a desktop only amp; just looking for the cheapest amp that can get me the full bass experience
biggrin.gif

And for an EQ can I use a free programm or would it be good to also invest something here?

I don't have any set expectations so if you just could give me some directions to your "perfect" (and reasonably priced^^) setup I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance and I'm sorry if I asked questions that were asked a thousand times.
Greetings Zugi

Jan 19, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #3,701 of 4,826
  I'm in the market for new headphones and after some research I discovered the "The Hardest hitting Headphones" thread (thx a lot). After digging through this impression thread and several other sources I still have some unanswered questions (maybe due to their subjective matter^^).
A fair warning, I'm totally clueless about this subject (as this is my first, more ore less ; ), serious headphone purchase), so please forgive me my ignorance
redface.gif
. So if you would help me to figure out if this is the right fit for me I'd be very grateful.

So first off I'm a big bass fan (obviously^^) and not overally worried about anything else, but I plan to use only one pair of headphones, so I'm a bit anxious that those wont perform really well in other areas than bass (mainly gaming). As an other option I had the V-MODA M-100 in mind.
Also is the sz2000 worth the upgrade compared to the sz1000? (for me it would be 230€ compared to 140€) I don't mind spending more money if I get its worth (build quality and sturdiness is also very important to me).

For the amp I gathered that the Cayin C5 would be the best choice? I really don't mind having a desktop only amp; just looking for the cheapest amp that can get me the full bass experience
biggrin.gif

And for an EQ can I use a free programm or would it be good to also invest something here?

I don't have any set expectations so if you just could give me some directions to your "perfect" (and reasonably priced^^) setup I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you in advance and I'm sorry if I asked questions that were asked a thousand times.
Greetings Zugi

sz2000 are a little too awesome on gaming.
jumped at the sound of my own shotgun in CS GO

some posts here will help you decide of 1000 or 2000 is better for you.... basically is a question of amp power and how much you like (or want) to eq.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,702 of 4,826
Jeez. It was delivered right before I got out of bed.

Going out with my brother while my Mojo charges, then I'll have my first session with the SZ2000!

Any links to recommended parametric EQ settings are highly appreciated!

Here are some eq techniques you could go by. The first is what i usually go with. The second is what i've done more recently as i've been craving more mids in the mix lately.

Can you share the full parametric EQ settings for both configurations? (Your screenshots only show settings for one of the frequencies.)

There are high quality equalizers available for free. There's no reason to pay for one unless you're a studio professional or something and need advanced features. I'd recommend installing a VST plugin in foobar2000 and then choosing a VST parametric equalizer. (You can search on Google to find one you like best.)

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,703 of 4,826
  the channel imbalance is from the single sided imput.  its going to be more apparent when you get more power to them.  It's not a defect, it happens to all of the sz's or any single sided cable input headphones when your tuning for massive bass.   your not going to notice it with normal listening volume.

Shucks I never noticed that on my m50x and I'm using same settings and amp. Is there really no way around this aside from modding the hell out of these?

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,704 of 4,826
The SZ2K responds to EQ extremely well. It already sounds darn good just by boosting the bass and some of the upper frequencies in a lazy way. It's capable of far better sound quality than I was expecting. I only bought it for the bass, so that's a nice bonus. I tracked down a dozen or so EQ settings people used, so things should get even more interesting soon...

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #3,705 of 4,826

Any links to recommended parametric EQ settings are highly appreciated!

Can you share the full parametric EQ settings for both configurations? (Your screenshots only show settings for one of the frequencies.)

Here is a picture of my main EQ preset I use with my SZ2000's. I have many different presets, but I use this the most as it sounds best with my favorite genres of music (hip-hop/EDM). This preset also generates maximum impact, and pairs nicely with my iFi iDSD. What you don't see is that I have the preamp turned all the way down, to -12db.

I use Equalify Pro for EQ duties as I'm a dedicated Spotify premium user. I've really grown to love that program, it's super easy to use and very versatile. 

And boy are you correct when you say the SZ2K is extremely EQ friendly. Out of the box I wasn't all that impressed with their overall sound quality, but when heavily EQ's they transform into very respectable sounding cans. And obviously you really need to bring the heavy bass boost if you want to experience what these cans can really do in the bass department. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back