JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #3,676 of 4,826
I own the SZ2K's along with a Dragonfly and can tell you the DF will NOT power the 2K's to pounding bass levels. Like vapman stated, you will need a more powerful amp to power them with. Something like the Fiio E12 or Cayin C5 will work extremely well paired with your Dragonfly. I paired my DF with an E12 for years with amazing results. 

I've recently done a bunch of research on the 700mk2 as I plan on buying a set for a portable rig, and can tell you they will also need more power to shine. The reason your JBL's are sounding better is just due to them being more efficient. Amp the 700mk2's and I'm sure it will be a different story. The amp won't completely change their sound signature, but something like the E12 or C5 with a bass boost option will REALLY wake them up on the low end. 

The DF pairs really well with portable amps. Just keep your source volume at 100% and the DF defaults to line out mode, then use the amp's volume control to adjust the overall volume. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #3,677 of 4,826
What is the part needed for Dragon fly to connect to phone? Do you mean the preamp and amp default to dac when amp add ed.I use similar combo on pc. Basically dragonfly 1.0 repackaged as xtrempro x1 with bravo ocean which works well for beyerdynamic 250 ohm but not for sz1k as I believe it's output impedence 20-600 ohm and poor damping with 16 ohm. Low impedence seems pick up system noise on tube ocean amp. I want to hook up x1 to portable amp on tablet while I listen muSic in bed with sz1k or 770.80

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #3,681 of 4,826
Alright, just ordered a pair of SZ2000s and a FiiO E10k. I'll try the PRO700s through E10K and see which I prefer between them and the JVCs.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to update this thread with how it works out.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,682 of 4,826
The E10K will help for sure, but both the SZ2K and Pro 700's will need more power to go full basshead.  Specifically the SZ2K, they are power hungry monsters. They will also need a healthy does of EQ to get the most bass out of them, so just be prepared. 

The SZ2K is at the top of the chain as far as basshead cans go. But they are far from plug and play. They need both EQ and tons of power to bring the massive bass out of them. If you are willing to put in the work, they are second to none in the bass game.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #3,683 of 4,826
Long time no see, fellas.

I should have an SZ2000 tomorrow.

(I ordered one a long time ago, but it was taking weeks to be shipped, so I canceled it. Thank goodness there's fulfillment by Amazon now!)

I used to have an HA-M55X, which I bought for its pads...but ended up selling it since I didn't have the SZ2K yet.

I recently bought an HA-MR60X with a Walmart gift card from their website. The seller was Walmart themselves. They ended up sending me cheap earbuds. I got on chat and was told that since the item was out of stock, they sent me something else. (As if that is an acceptable business practice anywhere!?) Needless to say, I got a refund.

Now I am trying to decide which of the two pads to get.

The price of the 55X is jacked up now. I'd rather get the 60X from a third party Walmart.com seller with that gift card.

Can anyone confirm whether the 55X and 60X pads are identical in size, shape, and sound? (Especially bass impact.)

Edit: Bought a JVC HA-MR77X. It apparently has the same pads as the 55X.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #3,684 of 4,826
Got my sz2000 couple days ago and so far I'm loving the rumble. Cranking bass full and 100% volume on PC is quite an experience but not quite wnough bass still - waiting on cayin c5 to make up for that.

One problem I notice is that the left piece hits harder than right side piece. Must be a manufacturing error. Its only slight but its there, so maybe it will loosen up when I crank it after I get amp. If not then I remember reading here someone fixed that issue by blowing a can of compressed air into one of the holes.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #3,685 of 4,826
the channel imbalance is from the single sided imput.  its going to be more apparent when you get more power to them.  It's not a defect, it happens to all of the sz's or any single sided cable input headphones when your tuning for massive bass.   your not going to notice it with normal listening volume.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #3,686 of 4,826
If it bothers you a ton you can drill a hole in the other side and use a Y style cable, but even I have not been willing to do this as it's only apparent when you are pushing TONS of power to em.

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #3,687 of 4,826
Hi guys. So I used to have no bass issues with my 2K and E5 dac.I finally got a standalone amp: Fiio E12. The result: AMAZING. I can use it for head massage now :) I can feel the ear cups throbbing like two little hearts. I can finally associate my 2k with with adjectives like rumbling, pounding, crushing...etc

One thing though, I did a paper test, and I couldn't achieve the same results I see on Hawaiibadboy's and others'. I think the E12 is powerful enough as I have never been able to turn it up all the way. My EQ is V shaped, and bass boost is on. What else is there to be tweaked? Any ideas?

P.S. Thanks for everybody who responded to mu previous inquiritles and led me to Basshead Heaven.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #3,688 of 4,826
Hi guys. So I used to have no bass issues with my 2K and E5 dac.I finally got a standalone amp: Fiio E12. The result: AMAZING. I can use it for head massage now
smily_headphones1.gif
I can feel the ear cups throbbing like two little hearts. I can finally associate my 2k with with adjectives like rumbling, pounding, crushing...etc

One thing though, I did a paper test, and I couldn't achieve the same results I see on Hawaiibadboy's and others'. I think the E12 is powerful enough as I have never been able to turn it up all the way. My EQ is V shaped, and bass boost is on. What else is there to be tweaked? Any ideas?

P.S. Thanks for everybody who responded to mu previous inquiritles and led me to Basshead Heaven.

What app or software are you using to eq?  Do you know how to eq properly?  Is the amp on high gain?

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #3,689 of 4,826
^^^ What he said.

Here are some eq techniques you could go by. The first is what i usually go with. The second is what i've done more recently as i've been craving more mids in the mix lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back