JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #3,571 of 4,826
Yo whats up everyone?

How's everyone enjoying their SZ 1K and 2K ? :D

So I was watching Die Hard 1 and 2 on my SZ1K's, and let me tell you, those movies are so bass friendly, when I crank up my cans with my A3 amp, and I got my EQ set to ultimate bada** levels, holy sh** were the words in my mind when my head was totally rattled like a sub woofer. I kept worrying that I might blow my drivers I had it so loud, but then I remembered, dude, I will pop before these cans will HAHA. And indeed, while all the explosions were going off in the movie, I popped alright HEHE :D

And when Bruce Willis said in that famous line, Yippy Kiyiyay motha ******, I was like, screw ya, this is the ****, welcome to JVC, they will kick your fat a** :D

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,572 of 4,826
I bought the JVC HA-SZ2000 to get a skull rattling bass. It wasn't there when I used it. I learned that I had to get an amp/dac to get the best out of it, so I got that Sound Blaster E5. Things got better I'm still NOT impressed with the bass. It is either very normal or very muddy when I use the EQ to boost it. I thought of selling it but I wanted to consult you guys before I do away with it. Any tips?

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #3,573 of 4,826

That may have been me. I was one of various people on this thread who used HM5 extra thick pads on the JVC's to very good effect.

My advice is to get those pads if you don't already have them (link below) and put them on immediately. It makes the comfort level (and the sound quality) much better.

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/pleather-headphone-pad

BTW, if you ever consider HM5 angled pads for the JVC, I doubt they'd work. I did the math on height vs width in mm vs inches, and found the HM5 angled pads are only 80mm wide, considerably narrower than the ~100mm width of the JVC earcups' baseplates. That's something like 5/8" too narrow; I wouldn't try it.  

I have these pads as well, purchased them here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLKV5TK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got the brown ones, they compliment the black of the 2ks very nicely :)
The only color that seems to be missing however is black in that link
They're definitely very comfortable and DO fit just pretty tight.
Very happy with the choice

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #3,574 of 4,826
I've only ever run my SZ2k from an iFi iCan SE on high gain, so can't comment on lesser amps. Even with my amateurish way of EQing (turning the wheel on Poweramp), they absolutely rattle my head so hard I can't stand more than a minute of it at a time.

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #3,576 of 4,826
I bought the JVC HA-SZ2000 to get a skull rattling bass. It wasn't there when I used it. I learned that I had to get an amp/dac to get the best out of it, so I got that Sound Blaster E5. Things got better I'm still NOT impressed with the bass. It is either very normal or very muddy when I use the EQ to boost it. I thought of selling it but I wanted to consult you guys before I do away with it. Any tips?

I'm not familiar with the Sound Blaster external offerings however my Objective 2 DAC/Amp combo...
https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/
...does an awesome job feeding the power required and I just use the generic driver bass boost option in window's sound settings to crank it up a notch and they definitely can hit hard with my setup. This unit isn't exactly high end. Pretty modest when it comes to desktop DAC/Amps and it does the job fine. They vibrate my head like crazy. It might be your amp or EQ?

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #3,577 of 4,826
I have the Fiio A3 amp which really makes the SZ1K's hit hard. If you own a pair of SZ2K's, you should really be using a Fiio E12 amp with high gain and bass boost on. Then in EQ, you should raze the 34 hertz and 65 hertz ranges to +10DB. DO NOT raze the 100 hertz to 1K hertz sliders, leave them flat! But if you like highs as I do, now raze the 3K to 6K range to +5DB, and then raze the 8K to 16K ranges to +10DB. This really helps to open the cans up, with proper amp and proper EQ makes a huge difference.

Give them 30 hours of total burn in, and you will notice a considerable difference in sound. After 300 hours of use, they will be fully burned in and at their best sound.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #3,578 of 4,826
I use the SB E5 with the SZ2k's almost exclusively. Hits hard enough to make my brain itch, lol. I use it on low gain, via USB. I have a nice V going for my EQ settings and the last EQ slider on the Sound Blaster software is "Level" which is in essence a pre-amp setting. I have my level at -3DB. Then I crank the volume up and my brain is massaged. I have no clue why it's not hitting hard for you. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #3,579 of 4,826

Its your amp, that e5 does NOT have enough power to push the sz to basshead levels. You need a minimum of 250mw @32 ohms to push the SZs. A basshead that I trust @vapman didn't even bother with a paper test with the e5.

Something like a e18 or ha-2 will get you there. If you want to go extreme, you need at least a e12 or c5.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #3,580 of 4,826

Hawaiibadboy SZ2K Sound Test

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #3,581 of 4,826
Its your amp, that e5 does NOT have enough power to push the sz to basshead levels. You need a minimum of 250mw @32 ohms to push the SZs. A basshead that I trust @vapman didn't even bother with a paper test with the e5.

Something like a e18 or ha-2 will get you there. If you want to go extreme, you need at least a e12 or c5.

I've started to think the same, but I'm gonna use OldDude04 settings before I give up.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #3,583 of 4,826
I've started to think the same, but I'm gonna use OldDude04 settings before I give up.

You don't need a tonne of power to feel bass on these. What you need is one of those proper 20 to 30 bamd equalizer on pc. I dont know for tablet and android the other sz triple OGs know about that. What I mean is I use these 1k mostly on PC for basshead bass bass tests with 400ish mw @ 16 ohm. Someone said 250 @32ohm but I thought both 16ohm

On tablet, phone my portable amp pushes roughly 400ish mw @16 ohm but I dont have good eq software beyomd like 5 band eq so I just use low gain and bass boost for casual listening not bassshead listening

This has enough bass to cause pain and im not saying thus in a comedic or romamtic fashion. There is no doubt about that

I think the eq inuse on pc is apo eq or aome th ing im in tablet now so I firget and its 4am

Good luck. Im gonna try sheepskins on these hm5 n see.

!,,,above is for sz1k keepin mind but seems most amps recommemded fir sz2k in the 500mw to800 mw range @16ohm for guaranteed HBB tested bass like in video . The 4000mw tuurbo gain on ifi idsd,ican se is overkill I think since power handlimd MAX is 1500mw @16ohm whi chug orob prob means 750mw rms is purrfect so e12 or cayan these OGs preach

Sry im on tablet N hard edit english

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #3,584 of 4,826
@OldDude04 you need to try a stronger amp with your SZ2k bro, it will blow your mind, i am not joking! E5 makes a perfectly good DAC. in fact because of it i do use a PCI Express sound blaster card, but it is strictly used in line out to an amp!

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #3,585 of 4,826
@OldDude04
 you need to try a stronger amp with your SZ2k bro, it will blow your mind, i am not joking! E5 makes a perfectly good DAC. in fact because of it i do use a PCI Express sound blaster card, but it is strictly used in line out to an amp!

Ive tried dragonfly equivalent like a rebrand (called xtrempro x1) dragonfly black same chips pre amp amp along with power amp (ocean) but 16ohm picks up more system noise than id like though works with other higher impedence cans 32 ohm,80,250 ohm.

Whats weird is a dt100 have 16ohm zero system noise

Anyway I hope more bassssss with sheep sacrifice skin pads hm5 and 450millywillywatts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back