JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #3,541 of 4,826
The e18 is great if you decide to go portable.  If you just plan to use this at the desk and the o2 has a line out, go for a used schiit magni with 1w of power.  I see them for $50 used, a little more for the uber.

Quote:
  Hey,
I've been using the SZ2ks with HM5 pads for almost a year now and I'm absolutely in love. I am however, curious for some feedback in my choice of source.
What do you guys think of pairing the SZ2ks with an Objective2 DAC/Amp from Mayflower Electronics? That's what I've been using since the start. (I only desire using them @ my PC so I don't need a portable option)
They're supposed to be good bang for buck as desktop amp/dacs go without having to spend hundreds more (which I cannot). I know nothing about pairing proper impedance of the amp and headphones or what not as I've seen discussed when scanning this thread. All I know is when I crank up the bass in the EQ and turn that volume dial up, they hit hard :)
Also, can any1 confirm these are 16ohms? JVC doesn't say the impedance on the site and I'm getting mixed info via google.
Thanks in advance :)
Here's the DAC/Amp for those that aren't familiar with it:
https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/digital-to-analog-converters/objective2-odac-combo-with-rear-power/

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,543 of 4,826
ok, i just looked at their site and the pics shows no line out.  which means you can not add a external amp. 

If you feel that your amp doesn't push enough power, the best thing is sell it and purchase another combo.

I hate how companies that don't state power specs.

The sz series is actually pretty efficient and can be driven with 300mw @32 ohms.  its only when you want to go into insane levels where your gonna need lots of power.

Theres a few of us that use the idsd with 4000mw or speaker tabs from speakers amps, but thats because we loco.....

Dec 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #3,544 of 4,826
I know I've already posted about this in the basshead thread, but I just wanted to say in here that the SZ2000 and iFi Micro iDSD is a match made in heaven. Along with some proper EQ work, this combo POUNDS the bass!! Also the iDSD seemed to help with the rest of the sound spectrum as well, I've been very impressed with this combo. 

I know it's not apples to apples, but can you comment on the Micro iDSD in comparison to the Cayin C5. I know one is a DAC/AMP, other just an AMP, but I'm interested in the additional benefit of the Micro 3D effect and Bass boost compared to the perceived 3D effect of the Cayin C5 and is bass boost. I know the DAC can be a major difference but I'm interested in the amp section and effects. Is the Micro iDSD a major upgrade? I don't care about summit fi file type comparisons. I'm interested in this for these and other cans.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #3,545 of 4,826
For those of you that use your SZ2ks with a PC, what are some software recommendations for EQ for someone that uses a desktop DAC/Amp that doesn't color the sound or have bass boost? I've been using the default sound driver bass boost setting under win7 sound/properties/enhancements section and I'm not happy with the results lol

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,546 of 4,826
For those of you that use your SZ2ks with a PC, what are some software recommendations for EQ for someone that uses a desktop DAC/Amp that doesn't color the sound or have bass boost? I've been using the default sound driver bass boost setting under win7 sound/properties/enhancements section and I'm not happy with the results lol

I use these 3 VST's with Foobar on a daily basis.

RescueMK2, Sonic Maximizer and GEQ-7.  All free VST's.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #3,547 of 4,826
I know it's not apples to apples, but can you comment on the Micro iDSD in comparison to the Cayin C5. I know one is a DAC/AMP, other just an AMP, but I'm interested in the additional benefit of the Micro 3D effect and Bass boost compared to the perceived 3D effect of the Cayin C5 and is bass boost. I know the DAC can be a major difference but I'm interested in the amp section and effects. Is the Micro iDSD a major upgrade? I don't care about summit fi file type comparisons. I'm interested in this for these and other cans.

You won't get the same affect with the bass boost on the idsd as the c5.

The bass boost on the idsd is so subtle that you won't notice it when used with out eq, but when you eq boosting to the max and you flick that switch, you notice a little kick that it adds.

3d effect is just the boosting of the treble to give it more sense of air.   its works great with really dark headphones.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #3,548 of 4,826
You won't get the same affect with the bass boost on the idsd as the c5.

The bass boost on the idsd is so subtle that you won't notice it when used with out eq, but when you eq boosting to the max and you flick that switch, you notice a little kick that it adds.

3d effect is just the boosting of the treble to give it more sense of air.   its works great with really dark headphones.

To add to the quoted response:

I use an ican and it's awesome. Pretty equal to the c5 in terms of bass quantity, but much better sound quality that is really worth the extra ~$150 or so IMHO. The boost switch is definitely night and day depending on the EQ as mentioned. Sadly (but healthily) my ican (400mA) actually shuts off at a certain point of slam. I think the idsd and c5 are more powerful so you could potentially get more bass out of it depending on the eq, but these are insane levels already. Haven't really gotten the c5 to monster levels because I enjoy my ear drums hah.

I mostly use my setup for games and movies though, and the 3d switch is awesome for it. Basically it makes sound that are "far away" louder, but the clarity is so good that it really creates a sense of depth with what's happening on screen. Think of a 2d vs 3d tv and that's what's it's like, but for the sound of course. For music the 3d switch gives me the impression of a bigger soundstage.

Dec 7, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,549 of 4,826
Brutal, a bass switch on the Micro iDSD that when flicked on, it's so subtle that you barely (or at least not wow, that's a bass boost) know it was engaged. On a site where people make many over exaggerated observations and opinions, this one swinging the wrong way concerns me. Is this just for the JVC SZ1K and SZ2K or does this transcend other cans as well. Bummer. So does this mean that the iDSD bass boost is less than the iCAN? I ultimately will EQ but nice to get a feel for the differences and available headroom.

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3,551 of 4,826
@chillaxing
Yea, it produces plenty of power I just need to get better software for EQ

@snellemin
Ty for the info, I'll look into VSTs

@vapman
Yannoe, I never noticed that vr b4 ur pic. Only the all black vr like the OP or my avi. Not bad lookin with the color contrast :)
Also, dunno if the lighting but ur plug doesn't look gold like mine or have the coiled "spring" at the end. Other than the pads of course, is all that original or modded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back