JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #3,062 of 4,826

B-Dawk20, happy to hear that those bad boys arrived! Raise the 30 hertz, 40 hertz, and 60 hertz sliders up by 10 to 12 points on the EQ, then raise the 8K and 10 K sliders up by 8 points. Those EQ adjustments alone opened up my 1000's without EQ, which should do the same for the 2000's if they are using the same type of drivers, hence, carbon nano tube, I know oh so high tech, how lucky we are lol.

What kind of amp are you running these bad boys? My amp is coming in today, so I will be sure to give a short reviews of how I feel about these headphones amped up, gee, I make it sound like my headphones are about to juice up, good thing this isn't the Olympics HAHA!

I use my Schiit Lyr 2 with Telefunken Ulm tubes and the DAC is a Schiit Gungnir. Both are overkill for the SZ2000 but they do the job for most of my equipment  (Not the DT990 600 ohm tho =_=), I basically did your EQ but maybe a bit more to my tastes I guess? I'm still playing around with it. 0-70hz +11db, 71-200hz +4db, 6K +8db, 10k +8db. I just set the highest db boosts to 0db and minus everything else accordingly in my program to avoid digital clipping and turn the volume up.

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,063 of 4,826
Ya, I've learned to keep the overall gain at 0DB too as the DAC in my notebook starts doing weird things if you raise the gain too high, guess that shows proof the difference between a quality DAC and a crappy one.

Alright, I am here with another review for my headphone, why? Cause this time I got a amp, yep you heard me right, my headphones have juiced up! LOL For those of you who haven't been following my previous posts, I bought the Fiio A3 amp. The footprint of the A3 is actually quite small, easily portable and pocketable and feels like it only weighs maybe half a pound. I was really impressed with how well made this amp is, all metal casing, the volume knob has a nice strong click when turning it on, and very smooth movement as well.

The switches move nicely just wish they made more of a snapping sound when switching them. The ports on the back are really well made, every connection I made snapped in nice and strong, I don't think they will ever pull out unless I want them too. I watched a lot of video's on portable amps on youtube, so I didn't even bother with low gain. From what I understand, low gain on the amp is for super easy to drive phone like ear buds and the like, so you don't blow them.

I started listening to a bass heavy track like Wiz Khalifa - On My Level, it sounded really good, the high frequencies remained constant, but without being too sharp as to cause hurting in ears. Vocals were now coming through better as the amp brought out the midrange better. The lower frequency bass was also coming in nicely but now it was time to push it. I flipped the bass switch to on, and surprisingly, it was only a slight bass enhancement, nothing too harsh, no muddy.

Thats when I realized now is the time when I need to crank that volume up! It went loud, I say that bass was hitting so hard and low, holy crap, I think I popped a nut! I tested a bunch of other tunes in my music library, which isn't really that big right now. Every single track I tested just sound amazing. Now sure granted you are not going to get ultimate sound stage with these headphones, you need something like the Sunnheiser 598, or the Audio Technica 700X for that.

However, with those headphones, the bass will never hit as hard as these, so if your a basshead, trust me, get the JVC SZ1000's or 2000's, then get a good amp, and you will hear bass like you never did before. Now I am just waiting for Dawk to come back with his final review of his 2000's after he's juiced them up real good lol! What more could a basshead want? You don't have to tell me twice :wink:

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #3,064 of 4,826
@StarTreker If you like the sound with the gain at 0dB that is great and no need to change from what you're doing, but i wanted to share my eq just in case there was any confusion over proper use of the EQ's gain.

In this pic when you see the gain at -20.3, imagine that every band on the EQ is reduced by 20.3dB.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3,065 of 4,826
You are correct Vapman, thats what I meant when I said overall gain, from the main gain knob, on your eq its on the very right, on my APO EQ, its at the top of the program. I like the sound I get at 0DB, but if I lower the gain knob, it gets quiet, raising it much higher then +5DB causes strange digital feedback. And I think the reason for that is either two things, either the PSU that powers the notebook lacks peek power abilities, or the DAC built into my notebook sucks, gee no shocker there right lol.

I know I should really get a DAC, but I already spent 200 dollars total on this project alone, so I don't feel like forking over 100 dollars more for say the Schit modi 2 dac. I will someday, don't you worry fellas lol, but right now I gotta cool it a bit on the spending. I would also love to get a real external equlizer someday, something with maybe 15 bands?

I already know I am going to get the modi 2 dac in the future, but can anyone recommend a future purchase for an external equalizer?

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #3,066 of 4,826
  I would also love to get a real external equlizer someday, something with maybe 15 bands?

I already know I am going to get the modi 2 dac in the future, but can anyone recommend a future purchase for an external equalizer?

I use the Rane Mojo mq302 stereo eq in my main Headphone station.  Can be had for less then 100 on Ebay.  You can go old school and get a good sounding 10 band Marantz EQ, which has the 30hz and 60hz sliders.  I got this one for 30 bucks back in the days.  

Parametric EQ's are way more expensive, which is why I only use software parametric EQ's.

You can be gangster like me and go with an car EQ.  

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,067 of 4,826
LOL I might have to go gangsta if there is no better option out there. I looked up the Rane Mojo and it just doesn't have any of the type of connections I would use on the back, if I got a DAC, I'd be looking at the need of RCA inputs with a 3.5 jack output, or I could use an adapter if its a 1/4 jack output.  I did like what I was seeing on the front though, gives me plenty of adjustments in the low end, mid range, and high end, so thats nice. Hey, I bet you listen to them cans more often then you do that speaker hehe.
dt880smile.png

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #3,068 of 4,826

I use the Rane Mojo mq302 stereo eq in my main Headphone station.  Can be had for less then 100 on Ebay.  You can go old school and get a good sounding 10 band Marantz EQ, which has the 30hz and 60hz sliders.  I got this one for 30 bucks back in the days.  

Parametric EQ's are way more expensive, which is why I only use software parametric EQ's.

You can be gangster like me and go with an car EQ.  

I love this setup! Are those Yamaha HS5/HS8?
I had a set of Yamaha HS8 for a while, definitely will get them again, they were amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,070 of 4,826
You can use 1/4 to RCA adapters.  Or you can use XLR to RCA adapters for your dac.  You can even get a DAC with XLR out and call it a day.  Other options are active XLR to RCA and visa versa adapters.  You can also go with passive(transformer based) XLR to RCA and visa versa adapters.  Or you can make your own cable adapters.  

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3,073 of 4,826
Can anyone give me a suggestion on decent EQ settings to get most out of my headphones ?? .. I just got my JVC SZ1000 Monday i've had 2nd Gen Fiio X3 and Fiio E-12 amp for quite awhile ...

Thanks in advance ! 

At least initially, for more bass the best thing you can do is take down all the frequencies from 150-200hz on up by at least -10db. I like the 6K and 10K boost recommendations by star treker, they make the headphones more lively imo.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #3,074 of 4,826
Can someone provide a link to an extension cable for the 2000s...?

just got a pair,and I think this is the shortest stock cable Ive ever seen

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #3,075 of 4,826

Users who are viewing this thread

Back