JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,911 of 4,826
Can confirm that the rattling/distortion of the SZ2000 is caused by a lack of power. Just connected it to my LG G4 (a low powered device) and I got no bass at all. They wouldn't take my EQ and the useless little current/voltage wouldn't move the SZ2000 subwoofer. This is good news for anyone who passed through this. Remember to give them at least 800 mW at 16 Ohm to make them sing. 
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #2,912 of 4,826
  Can confirm that the rattling/distortion of the SZ2000 is caused by a lack of power. Just connected it to my LG G4 (a low powered device) and I got no bass at all. They wouldn't take my EQ and the useless little current/voltage wouldn't move the SZ2000 subwoofer. This is good news for anyone who passed through this. Remember to give them at least 800 mW at 16 Ohm to make them sing. 
beerchug.gif

I take it the Cayin C5 would be plenty to drive the SZ2000. Well it's already running my SZ1000 just fine.
I'm thinking of upgrading to SZ2k sometime soon. Reason being is I want more refined bass and I seem to have a certain issue with my SZ1k headphone 3.5mm jack.
The jack doesn't click in place wherever I plug it whether it's the Cayin C5, or the Fiio X3 or PC or Smartphones, and only one ear is working until I use an extender. I tried using many different cables, changed to 4-pole-plugs and still wouldn't click in place. While both ears work fine with an extender the SZ1k tend to plug out on its' own when I move around because it didn't click and fit in place.
I'm not sure what to do anymore. I was thinking of getting a new headphone jack and solder a new one but uhh.. I would rather live having to plug the jack properly every now and then instead of risking losing the headphones.

I looked around to see if anyone had a similar issue but doesn't look like it, or I just didn't look good enough.

May 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #2,915 of 4,826
Hello everyone, a new user looking for advice. Based on videos I saw here I bought SZ2Ks near the end of 2015 alongside a fiio e12. I have been using a sony xperia z1 for playing my music which certainly is not ideal and I never felt I was getting near the results in the videos with the paper waggling. Since I am usually using them at a desk as they are way too big for a gym I began thinking it would make more sense to go the PC audio route. Not too long ago I asked a question about sound cards but now I know about external DACs and that has got me more confused about what should power my SZ2Ks.  

As far as I understand part of the benefits of a better sound card is the software that comes with it so I can eq the music which is of course necessary for these headphones. Is there any good software I can use with an external DAC and my e12? I had heard of Equalizer APO but I did find that a little complicated but I suppose I need to learn. Is there a better combination than DAC + amp that I should be considering? 

Ideally I would not like to spend above £200 on a dac or sound card. Any advice would be really appreciated as I am looking to make a purchase soon.

Thanks

Dom

May 27, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #2,916 of 4,826
  Hello everyone, a new user looking for advice. Based on videos I saw here I bought SZ2Ks near the end of 2015 alongside a fiio e12. I have been using a sony xperia z1 for playing my music which certainly is not ideal and I never felt I was getting near the results in the videos with the paper waggling. Since I am usually using them at a desk as they are way too big for a gym I began thinking it would make more sense to go the PC audio route. Not too long ago I asked a question about sound cards but now I know about external DACs and that has got me more confused about what should power my SZ2Ks.  

As far as I understand part of the benefits of a better sound card is the software that comes with it so I can eq the music which is of course necessary for these headphones. Is there any good software I can use with an external DAC and my e12? I had heard of Equalizer APO but I did find that a little complicated but I suppose I need to learn. Is there a better combination than DAC + amp that I should be considering? 

Ideally I would not like to spend above £200 on a dac or sound card. Any advice would be really appreciated as I am looking to make a purchase soon.

Thanks

Dom

At that price point, I'd buy an JDS Labs ODAC RevB. It's usb powered, works with any computer, is completely linear (which is important for basshead cans. You wouldn't want a huge bass roll-off of the like of some boutique audiophile DAC), and is just plain amazing.

For equalization, use Foobar2000 and a 31-band EQ plug-in (google it) if you are using Windows, or download Fidelia and use its AUGraphicEQ built-in 31-band EQ if you are using Mac.

Connect your ODAC to your PC through USB, let it install its drivers or just use it if you have a Mac. Use a 3.5 to 3.5 cable to connect the ODAC line out to the E12 line in. Turn on bass boost on your E12, connect your SZ2000, use these settings (or tune as you like):

-Everything from 20 Hz to 40 Hz: 12 dB
-Everything from 50 Hz to 150 Hz: 6 dB

and... happy teeth-rattling.

*Remember to use high gain on your E12, and adjust the pre-amp on the EQ to avoid clipping. Just tune it as you would like. They WILL crush your skull and sound fantastic, I promise.

May 27, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2,918 of 4,826
This was really helpful, thank you both. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but the eq software will affect all sound from the PC right? As in if I am using anything from soundcloud to spotify or just files on my computer?

May 27, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #2,920 of 4,826
  No. Only within the program.

On OS X it's possible to run all system audio through effects like this, but you'd need to know what you were doing in order to get it to process ALL system audio. So it shouldn't be any issue unless you did something crazy in the system settings but you probably wouldn't get that far if you didn' already know what you were doing
wink.gif

On Windows it'll just be whatever program you have the settings on.

My "trick" is to run foobar with ASIO and let DirectSound handle the rest of my system, that way my laptop's 50 step volume control doesn't affect my DAC's output, and if I open a youtube video or something else makes sound it'll come thru my laptop's speakers.

May 28, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2,923 of 4,826
Alright I got my C5 yesterday and now have put some hours into it. My chain is Spotify 320kbps -> FiiO E18 DAC -> C5 -> SZ1000 with HM5 leather pads.

So the bass is much more well controlled and does not bleed into the mids as much now. The C5 bass boost is MUCH better than the E18's bass boost in that it doesn't cause distortion or as much midbass bloat.

The SZ1000 do not clip anymore but I can still get distortion if I have the C5 turned up too high with EQ+High Gain+Bass Boost. Please note I use a ridiculous amount of EQ, though. Here is my EQ graph:

As you can see this is not the best way to EQ something, but it's how I like it to sound! The impact is great (could use a little more still to be honest. I think the Taction Kannon ruined me!) and the other frequencies are not drowned out too badly.

All in all the C5 was worth the price and is leagues better than the E18. I highly recommend it.

May 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,924 of 4,826
  Alright I got my C5 yesterday and now have put some hours into it. My chain is Spotify 320kbps -> FiiO E18 DAC -> C5 -> SZ1000 with HM5 leather pads.

So the bass is much more well controlled and does not bleed into the mids as much now. The C5 bass boost is MUCH better than the E18's bass boost in that it doesn't cause distortion or as much midbass bloat.

The SZ1000 do not clip anymore but I can still get distortion if I have the C5 turned up too high with EQ+High Gain+Bass Boost. Please note I use a ridiculous amount of EQ, though. Here is my EQ graph:

As you can see this is not the best way to EQ something, but it's how I like it to sound! The impact is great (could use a little more still to be honest. I think the Taction Kannon ruined me!) and the other frequencies are not drowned out too badly.

All in all the C5 was worth the price and is leagues better than the E18. I highly recommend it.

Very helpful.

Why the Kannon quote though? Do they hit harder?
I thought the SZ2000 were the kings of bass? 
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back