JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #2,703 of 4,826
I set both of them up the same way (my phone at 40% and the the amp between 4 and 5). I can listen to the m100 for a 2-3 hours like this. I'm done with the sz1k after an hour.

I'm fairly new to the amp game (i JUST received my JVC sz2k's today from ebay) and have also purchased my first amp *i come from an iem background*. Would you mind explaining to me why you don't set your phone to 100% and just lower the amp? I genuinely don't know, i'm not doubting your method lol.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #2,704 of 4,826
  I'm fairly new to the amp game (i JUST received my JVC sz2k's today from ebay) and have also purchased my first amp *i come from an iem background*. Would you mind explaining to me why you don't set your phone to 100% and just lower the amp? I genuinely don't know, i'm not doubting your method lol.

There is no benefit and any alert or forgetting of volume could blow your ears or gear.

The phone at 40% is enough for a clear full signal to be magnified by the amp. High volume on phones can create a distorted signal which then gets amplified which is not cool since bass boosting will intro some destortion so no need to even get close to that between phone and amp stage.

The amp knob should always be your volume knob. Safe,practical and no downside

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2,705 of 4,826
I understand that the JVC community instantaneously replaces the stock pads for the ham55xs', i was wondering if there were any other "honorable mentions". I'll probably buy a used pair of 55xs and just give them to a friend or just add to my collection *most likely*, but for now, i've just got my sz2ks and swapped the pads from my athm50x. i know it's not ideal, but it's better than the shallow stock cups. i'm still not even sure how i've managed to stretch the m50x pads onto the behemoth driver that is JVC.
blink.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,706 of 4,826

There is no benefit and any alert or forgetting of volume could blow your ears or gear.

The phone at 40% is enough for a clear full signal to be magnified by the amp. High volume on phones can create a distorted signal which then gets amplified which is not cool since bass boosting will intro some destortion so no need to even get close to that between phone and amp stage.

Thank you, Based Bass God :D

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,707 of 4,826
  I understand that the JVC community instantaneously replaces the stock pads for the ham55xs', i was wondering if there were any other "honorable mentions". I'll probably buy a used pair of 55xs and just give them to a friend or just add to my collection *most likely*, but for now, i've just got my sz2ks and swapped the pads from my athm50x. i know it's not ideal, but it's better than the shallow stock cups. i'm still not even sure how i've managed to stretch the m50x pads onto the behemoth driver that is JVC.
blink.gif

There is a groove to twist on the pads easier in case you were not aware.

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,708 of 4,826
Yeah, i've seen your videos for sure, but the m50 pads still had to be stretched WITH the twist mechanic about 70% around the way lol. If not for your videos and paper test, i probably wouldn't have even researched the sz2k's as much as i did! I'm breaking in my new puppies as we speak with the m50 pad replacement, i find the deeper earpads atleast better than the stock jvc.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #2,710 of 4,826

Would playing the c5 at high gain volumes damage the amp or just the headphones if the source was high volume aswell and you did blow your headphones?

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,711 of 4,826
Would playing the c5 at high gain volumes damage the amp or just the headphones if the source was high volume aswell and you did blow your headphones?

I have only blown the 55x cans while I was getting into headphones.

The amp would be fine. A sudden full load to the drivers might not be ideal.. It is either in a Line out mode or it is in caution mode (no over volume of anything ever unless i am siting with it)

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,712 of 4,826
I have only blown the 55x cans while I was getting into headphones.

The amp would be fine. A sudden full load to the drivers might not be ideal.. It is either in a Line out mode or it is in caution mode (no over volume of anything ever unless i am siting with it)

Ok, had confirmation from my ebay seller to tell me my items been shipped, not looking forward to the potential 24 day wait, really looking forward to hearing these bad boys! Have you seen the brainwavz hybrid pleather/memory foam ear pads? I wonder how they would jam with the sz models

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,713 of 4,826

Hbb covered the main reasons why you'd do this. But I do it because my c5 has a slight imbalance at low levels. Lowering the source volume lets you use more gain from the amp, getting you above the area where the imbalance is. For my amp it's above 2 on the dial.

I tried that and at that volume the music was not that loud, not loud enough for decent bass anyway or anything anyway
What player are you using? When I use the stock player or the onkyo player that set up isn't loud enough. But using poweramp with my eq settings it's very loud. I'm no eq expert, in fact l've only just started learning. But I don't mind sharing my settings. Pm me and I'll send you some screenshots if you want.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #2,714 of 4,826
Can I just get confirmation that the Japanese import of the SZ2000 are the same as the UK version because they are half the price £290 vs £160.

Planning on using with my IFI DSD nano and Heed Canamp.

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,715 of 4,826
You get the UK = European or Export version cheaper as well, price changes all the time, just look around. Or get a used one...

But the import version is  - apart of warranty problems - better. The UK version is called Z-Series on the can and has 24 Ohms impedance. The drivers are the same, but they added two resistors and one capacitor inside, kind of crossover. The sound difference is near zero though. Additionally the Japan version (with Live Beat printed on the can) comes with a thick leather-style bag, while the -E version comes with a super-cheap, thin and ugly soft fabrique bag.

Your choice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back