JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2,611 of 4,826
so i decided for the sz2k and i absolutely love them i have  a question regarding eq you said you would boost the sub bass of these now i can set bass frequency boost ranging from 50hz up to 600 which one schould i boost ? with my mk2s i always boosted the 120hz with these i dont really know 

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #2,612 of 4,826
so i decided for the sz2k and i absolutely love them i have  a question regarding eq you said you would boost the sub bass of these now i can set bass frequency boost ranging from 50hz up to 600 which one schould i boost ? with my mk2s i always boosted the 120hz with these i dont really know 

http://en.goldenears.net/49622

I would decrease 200Hz by about 4db (if you only have 250Hz then don't touch it, as FR dips immediately above 200)
boost: 20-65Hz by 6db, 100Hz by 2-3db.

Also, you could try boosting the 2Khz by 3db to see if you like it more this way. This should open them up and make them a little more linear while still retaining their signature.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #2,613 of 4,826
I'm going to buy the sz2000s and 55x pads.

Will they be OK driven by an e07k? This is the only amp I have.

If not, what is a good solution? Bear in mind I need a portable DAC and an amp.

Price is not really an issue

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #2,614 of 4,826

If price is not an issue then a Mojo or a Fiio e18. I have never owned an Oppo ha-2 so i cannot rec their amp/dac combo and the Cayin amp/dac is probably quite good but I also have not tried it

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,615 of 4,826

My ibasso d14 does the job pretty well. I took it over e12 and e18 because of size but also because i prefered its sound. The Cayin C5 is really powerful if you don't mind about size. I tested e07k and wasn't happy with it as bass was clipping quickly. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,616 of 4,826
A quick post on SZ2k impressions now that I have something real to compare them to.

I just got some psb m4u2 headphones to use at work because I need noise cancelling. They are highly regarded as sounding like your in a room of high quality speakers and claimed as some of the best closed cans you can buy for under $400.

Well I'm happy to report that the SZ2k is imo, a much better headphone overall. The psb room full of speakers means nothing to me because the sz2k soundstage crushes it. The psb does have a beautiful midrange and better clarity/separation, but not much. I had to listen very carefully to notice the subtle differences, really impressed with the sz2k in that respect. And of course given the depth and awesomeness that the sz2k bass adds to all music, the psb is dull in comparison.

The psb is by no means a bad headphone, it does have a beautiful energetic sound, but the SZ2k leaves it in the dust with its versatility, soundstage, and dat bass. I was expecting the psb to put the mids, highs, clarity, separation, Yada Yada, etc of the sz2k to shame, but the sz2k shamed the psb.

Already loved my sz2k, but now I love it even more. I'm new to this hifi stuff so I wasn't sure if I was missing anything. But now I'm sure I'm not.

I'll definitely be keeping the psb because they do sound great and the noise cancelling really works for me. But my next pair of headphones will likely be another sz2k that I can unbox when the current one kicks the bucket, and long after the last new one has been sold.

SZ2k for life!

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #2,617 of 4,826
 If price is not an issue then a Mojo or a Fiio e18. I have never owned an Oppo ha-2 so i cannot rec their amp/dac combo and the Cayin amp/dac is probably quite good but I also have not tried it

My ibasso d14 does the job pretty well. I took it over e12 and e18 because of size but also because i prefered its sound. The Cayin C5 is really powerful if you don't mind about size. I tested e07k and wasn't happy with it as bass was clipping quickly. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought an L7 for my e07k to make it DAC only.

Then will pair with a cayin c5 amp.

Hopefully this will do them justice?

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #2,618 of 4,826
Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought an L7 for my e07k to make it DAC only.

Then will pair with a cayin c5 amp.

Hopefully this will do them justice?

The Cayin C5 does a lot of justice for the SZ
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #2,622 of 4,826
Got them in the mail this morning definitely noticed the veil more after changing to the HM5 pads for sure, but was to be expected not anything unbearable the comfort was 100% worth it the grip is vice like, but i'm sure i'll get used to it dabbled in EQ a little bit didn't do too hot is 100% because I have no clue how to EQ properly even then i'm definitely happy with them they sound great especially for the price. SZ1000's get an A+ from me.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #2,623 of 4,826
  Got them in the mail this morning definitely noticed the veil more after changing to the HM5 pads for sure, but was to be expected not anything unbearable the comfort was 100% worth it the grip is vice like, but i'm sure i'll get used to it dabbled in EQ a little bit didn't do too hot is 100% because I have no clue how to EQ properly even then i'm definitely happy with them they sound great especially for the price. SZ1000's get an A+ from me.

Listen to this via PC or whatever.

Raise bass till you feel sick then the bass EQ is done
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #2,624 of 4,826
Are these the right cans that you guys use for your donor pads? I was going to pick them up but I think I'll wait and see how the stock pads and brainwavz do first. They're fair game for whoever wants them. I think this is for 2 sets.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-JVC-XTREME-XPLOSIVES-STEREO-HEADPHONES-Black-Red-HA-MR55X-FOR-PARTS-/252254992321?nav

Users who are viewing this thread

Back