JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #2,417 of 4,826
  Thanks for the response. So you think the E12 would do the trick, without the need for a separate DAC as well?

Yep, E12 is a stud.

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,418 of 4,826
Cayin C5 goes with SZ2000 like bread and butter. It'll shake your soul. Fiio E12 is great too, but the bass boost I think is a bit too much *ducks*. 

Lol! I eq'd mine with bass boost on so if I need to have a micro break from the head shattering bass I just flick it off for a bit. I drops off just enough to rest my head and then I can just flick it back on and boom boom boom.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #2,419 of 4,826
Lol! I eq'd mine with bass boost on so if I need to have a micro break from the head shattering bass I just flick it off for a bit. I drops off just enough to rest my head and then I can just flick it back on and boom boom boom.

LOL, you know what I mean right? Bass boost on the E12 is BOOM! C5 is a big boost but not extreme like that. Both of them sound awesome.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #2,420 of 4,826
So I got my E12 today and briefly tested it out with these JVCs, using my Android phone. I had the bass boost on, and if I also tried to EQ it using the Poweramp app, the bass became really distorted.

Anyone have any tips? The bass was good without the EQ, but not as mind blowing as some of the responses in this thread have made out. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,421 of 4,826
With E12 it should have blown the top of your head off, without EQ.

Oh, forgot. Adjust the gain on the side of the E12 to +16 db. I think you can do it with a hairpin or something. That should do the trick.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #2,423 of 4,826
  So I got my E12 today and briefly tested it out with these JVCs, using my Android phone. I had the bass boost on, and if I also tried to EQ it using the Poweramp app, the bass became really distorted.

Anyone have any tips? The bass was good without the EQ, but not as mind blowing as some of the responses in this thread have made out. 

You using stock pads?

The e12 should not be more than 50% volume.

The SZ cannot eat an e12 whole. About 1/2 with the rest done via eq.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #2,424 of 4,826

Which phone do you have ?

To avoid distortion try to lower phone's volume, lower the gain main in poweramp as well. To get bass and deep subbass i use viper4android . Settings for vmoda M100 and sz2000 (out of my htc m8) :

Dynamic System (Common Earphone (v2) setting which is the one giving the most subbass)) : 14 percent
Viper Bass (Natural bass) Bass Frequency 100 hz and Boost 6 db

This give me the bass amount, slam and depth i love. 

I don't find Poweramp equalizer the best. Try not to raise the bass rotary button but use the equalizer instead. Also maybe you should give Jetaudio or Neutron a try as i find their equalizers sound better with less distortion. There is also a pluggin in Jetaudio to raise subbass. Best equalizer is neutron as it's the only one the allow to raise any frequency (even 10hz) but i find the user interface poor . Best would be viper4android as instead of acting directly on songs (like players do) it acts directly on the audio chip.......

EDIT : I have just tested. i disabled viper4android and tried to Eq Poweramp. Night and day. No real good subbass anymore. The Eq doesn't seem to be efficient with low frequencies (<60hz). Tried Neutron as well. I raised frequencies between 20hz and 60hz. It's better. Way better than poweramp. But far from what the viper dynamic bass option can provide. I truely believe viper4android is a must have for any basshead. I'm pretty sure with an ipod it would need an amp like Arrow 5TX with bass enhanced to have this subwoofer effect. It makes me remember when i tried ibasso DX90 + E12 and Fiio X5 + E12. I was so disappointed by the bass. I find it lacking of depth. This depth can be given only by a good equalizer (or an amp that have a bass boost that raised a lot the bass and especially the <60hz). For portable the best option i found was the viper dynamic bass. But i have to precise that i'm a subbass lover. The more the frequency is low the more i love it. But i guess any one that buy JVC SZ2000 loves good and deep bass as well. So you should really give viper4android a try.....

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,425 of 4,826
Pretty sure he just needs to flip the gain switch and everything will fall into place.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #2,427 of 4,826

You using stock pads?

The e12 should not be more than 50% volume.

The SZ cannot eat an e12 whole. About 1/2 with the rest done via eq.

Thanks HBB, this video looks useful. I think you described the issue I was having, but couldn't put into words - the need to drop the levels of everything besides bass, rather than just flipping the gain switch on the E12 and cranking up the volume, which just made everything louder but not bassier.

Which phone do you have ?

To avoid distortion try to lower phone's volume, lower the gain main in poweramp as well. To get bass and deep subbass i use viper4android . Settings for vmoda M100 and sz2000 (out of my htc m8) :

Dynamic System (Common Earphone (v2) setting which is the one giving the most subbass)) : 14 percent
Viper Bass (Natural bass) Bass Frequency 100 hz and Boost 6 db

This give me the bass amount, slam and depth i love. 

I don't find Poweramp equalizer the best. Try not to raise the bass rotary button but use the equalizer instead. Also maybe you should give Jetaudio or Neutron a try as i find their equalizers sound better with less distortion. There is also a pluggin in Jetaudio to raise subbass. Best equalizer is neutron as it's the only one the allow to raise any frequency (even 10hz) but i find the user interface poor . Best would be viper4android as instead of acting directly on songs (like players do) it acts directly on the audio chip.......

EDIT : I have just tested. i disabled viper4android and tried to Eq Poweramp. Night and day. No real good subbass anymore. The Eq doesn't seem to be efficient with low frequencies (<60hz). Tried Neutron as well. I raised frequencies between 20hz and 60hz. It's better. Way better than poweramp. But far from what the viper dynamic bass option can provide. I truely believe viper4android is a must have for any basshead. I'm pretty sure with an ipod it would need an amp like Arrow 5TX with bass enhanced to have this subwoofer effect. It makes me remember when i tried ibasso DX90 + E12 and Fiio X5 + E12. I was so disappointed by the bass. I find it lacking of depth. This depth can be given only by a good equalizer (or an amp that have a bass boost that raised a lot the bass and especially the <60hz). For portable the best option i found was the viper dynamic bass. But i have to precise that i'm a subbass lover. The more the frequency is low the more i love it. But i guess any one that buy JVC SZ2000 loves good and deep bass as well. So you should really give viper4android a try.....

Thanks for the detailed response! I looked into viper4android, but I couldn't find an English version on the Play Store. Is there such a thing? Oh, and my phone is a Moto X 2013.

Pretty sure he just needs to flip the gain switch and everything will fall into place.

The issue I was having with that was the gain switch just made everything louder, but didn't change the amount of bass. I'm going to mess with the EQ settings.

Edit: incidentally, this is the track I use for testing bass on headphones. It sounds pretty incredible:

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,429 of 4,826
Again big difference between any android Audio app and viper is that viper acts directly on the sound chip vs Audio apps that acts on the songs. So viper settings, effects and equalizer will always give better results than any audio application.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #2,430 of 4,826
Again big difference between any android Audio app and viper is that viper acts directly on the sound chip vs Audio apps that acts on the songs. So viper settings, effects and equalizer will always give better results than any audio application.

Sounds interesting. I haven't rooted my phone yet (as I haven't needed to), but it sounds like it'd be worth it for viper. Thanks for the recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back