JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2,236 of 4,826

After reading every page of this thread, I have to say HBB, you have had great persuasion in my purchase of the SZ2000's. I apologize as well, but we both know that it was not serious. I did not know you were this invested in basshead territory, and will gladly respect your knowledge. 

So, after now placing the alpha pads on, I get a nice cushy feel. Everyone should experience what these pads feel/sound like. The bass on the SZ2000 (right now) is WiLD and can distort. I hope to hear the bass settle over continuous usage and time. I don't hear alot of clarity, but wasn't really expecting this. If the bass can clean up (just a little bit) I will be very happy. These are keepers regardless.

It seems like 55Hz is the sweet spot for the large driver.

This app is pretty amazing if the idevice is the source.  My X5 just has a 10 band graphic eq and is semi-effective but the ability to adjust the "Q" in the

In use: after using audio analyzer

There are 2 kinds of folks round here. 1 kind likes to open a box and just go. Another likes to tweak stuff to their exact liking. If you already got pads then you are part of the second group.  Every set of cans could use a tweak here and there but the SZ need that. The payoff is pretty epic though. These are keepers for me as well...after spending lots of time tweaking. The clarity will always be an issue but my brain has been burnt in cuz I don't really notice. I use IEM for full isolate and clarity surfing.
I'm a basshead though. At the end of the day I'm maybe gonna wanna go full retard and play a game of chicken with my eardrums and the woofer driver.  The SZ always win. that's why they are keepers
biggrin.gif

Enjoy and if you have any bass problems let me know.

This is good for max impact checking

This is good for extension in the sub-bass

Enjoy and welcome to the fam
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #2,237 of 4,826
I was thinking, when it comes to stationary amps, any good cheap ones I could get while I wait for my E12 to be returned from warranty? The 1K is not too fun to play around with without an amp and stationary ones ought to have a huge advantage on power etc without getting too expensive?

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #2,238 of 4,826
Just started listening to more murky, dirty rock (Sonic Youth, Weezer - Blue album, [...]) with these out of the blue and they're superb at it IMO. I underestimated their capability there from what people were saying, surprised. I really only made up my mind prematurely before just based on a few metal records (Gojira off the top of my head). Kick drums sound screwing amazing and the heavy air moving from the distorted guitars, bass, drums, is really really impressive. Also good with my Converge records so probably good with all types of mathcore, hardcore as well. Dopethrone sound great on it too. For popular, conventional metal (heavy, death), I don't like it how it does them as much, but not bad. Basically, a lot of fun if I'm not playing acoustic, more clear records.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,239 of 4,826
I had intentions of using these as a performance headphone (mixing/djing) when I bought these. Since doing so, I realize live music is not a strength of these. They are great for listening (obviously) and most users aren't going to use these in the way I thought of using them. You can mix with them, the bass is super strong, but it overpowers every other frequency...something that can muddy your mix. I still have alpha pads on them, and they are awesome. If I truly want to shut out the world and give myself a bass makeover, these are it. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #2,240 of 4,826
  I had intentions of using these as a performance headphone (mixing/djing) when I bought these. Since doing so, I realize live music is not a strength of these. They are great for listening (obviously) and most users aren't going to use these in the way I thought of using them. You can mix with them, the bass is super strong, but it overpowers every other frequency...something that can muddy your mix. I still have alpha pads on them, and they are awesome. If I truly want to shut out the world and give myself a bass makeover, these are it. 

One of my faves for bass drop hip hop

Made by a DJ

No ******* way he was wearing these when he made it though
biggrin.gif
......but it sounds epic played back through em. I slam this on car audio too. Sz2k play this nice with massive sub-bass lifting and amping.

The guy above you has the HE 560 and you got lots of stuff including Planar.

You guys are fine. The dudes with no money and needing one set to do everything end up stuck. The ability to switch off for clarity if desired makes the set worth keeping for it's bass prowess.

I play Hip Hop, Reggae, (some 70's Rock), Classic....
confused.gif

but get stuck on bass that is fast and layered over long throw hits at the same time like Trance. Your a D.J. so you know better than me but stuff that has numerous samples/layers with that long throw bass pinned under really fast kick drum type bass .

After a year of year and a half with these the limits are guitar/strings and the harmonic range it sits in roughly.  @DreamKing, I love early Black Sabbath  for the reasons Sonic Youth  (and Weezer for me too) sound good on these. The distortion pedals used by the guitarists mask the weakness. Early Zeppelin LP's are the same. Very good.

I am a basshead but I like Classical music too. A full piece symphonic presentation is dominated on the sides by bass, and low freq dominating instruments and very high freq producing pieces on the other with strings in the middle flanked. Often anyway. The stringed instruments tie the sides together harmonically and join them.

Something like this...

Rock group same (drummer in back, bassist on one side, guitarist on other with vocalist in between )  Acoustic space control that goes back ages and is basically a "V" response.
These do classical well because they can "V" all day long.

I imagine a DJ as a guy who is looking at a stage with a symphony and on a elevated stage above them is......um..Blue man Group..and on another open stage above them is an obscure polish death metal group

Something like that
tongue.gif

The more complex the less likely the SZ will satisfy.  If you own clarity beasts already it's a non issue.

I prefer a few sets that do their thing in the top of their class as opposed to a great all arounders.

This is a 2am in Japan I should sleep now ramble.

godnight

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #2,241 of 4,826
My experience with the SZ2000 over the last few months have been all over the place from awe to disgust.
The awe has stayed and the disgust has been mitigated enough that I find myself using them often and really enjoying them.
They are no longer stock.

At first the pressure on the ears was so bad that I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour.
That was partially mitigated by stuffing a 1/4 x 1/2 x 3 inch sliver of stiff packing foam at the back of the pad.
This has been finally completely remedied by buying a pair of JVC 55x and using its pads instead of the SZ2000 also with the stiff packing foam.

Then we have the sound, so much bloat that I couldn't believe I paid any amount of money for these.
At least they are sensitive so I can play with the eq in a 24bit domain and keep the dynamics intact on the analog side.
The detail was also sorely lacking.

A little over a month ago I got a PHA-3 and have come to convert all my phones to balanced.
Finally, today I re-terminated the SZ2000 with a 4-pin mini XLR connector.
If anyone is interested the stock cable seems nice to me. 4 conductors, silver coated? with supportive nylon strands in each conductor. Easy to convert to balanced. Not shielded (unless the super thin teflon sheath does something), but neither are the cables that go to my home stereo speakers so no biggie.
I considered a re-cable, but the internal wiring if well cemented in place and solid. They also have a board that branches the signal wires to the two drivers that is equally well cemented in the casing so I'm not going to try my luck at prying it up and irreparably damaging them. So all that and I can't re-cable up to the driver so maybe some other day if ever.

In balanced mode on the PHA-3 it is well controlled down to 20Hz perceptually flat.
That is not frequency response flat, that is what I feel is flat through extensive frequency sweeps and test tones.
I'm still tweaking the bass +/- a few db on occasion, but otherwise I'm fairly set on the eq.

This is my parametric eq setup in EqualizerAPO for reference:

Stage: post-mix
Preamp: -14,51 db
Filter  1: ON HP Fc 14.0 Hz
Filter  2: ON  PK       Fc      20,0 Hz  Gain    14,0 dB  Q   1,5
Filter  3: ON  PK       Fc      45,0 Hz  Gain     7,0 dB  Q   1
Filter  4: ON  PK       Fc      170,0 Hz  Gain  -10,0 dB  Q   1,7
Filter  5: ON  PK       Fc      400,0 Hz  Gain   -9,0 dB  Q   0,75
Filter  6: ON  PK       Fc      750,0 Hz  Gain   -7,0 dB  Q   2,4
Filter  7: ON  PK       Fc     1800,0 Hz  Gain    3,0 dB  Q   6
Filter  8: ON  PK       Fc     3100,0 Hz  Gain   -2,5 dB  Q   3
Filter  9: ON  PK       Fc     6000,0 Hz  Gain    3,0 dB  Q   4
Filter 10: ON  PK       Fc     7200,0 Hz  Gain   -3,0 dB  Q   6
Filter 11: ON  PK       Fc     8000,0 Hz  Gain   -3,0 dB  Q   2

I have a similar graphical eq setup in my Onkyo player settings on my Note 3 that I use as a DAP, unfortunately it only has a 12db range to play with so the sub-bass is not as high.

I was considering buying a pair of Beyer DT1350 and replacing the 30mm driver in the SZ with it for greater detail, but with this eq I have decent mids, treble and even some sparkle. That and the DT1350 FR seems to have a worse void in the mid-bass. Maybe if I find a cheap pair sometime in the future I'll think about it.

Overall I'm listening to every genre with these, but switch to the T1 when I want detail and clarity, then back when I crave the sub-bass again.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #2,242 of 4,826
  My experience with the SZ2000 over the last few months have been all over the place from awe to disgust.
The awe has stayed and the disgust has been mitigated enough that I find myself using them often and really enjoying them.
They are no longer stock.

At first the pressure on the ears was so bad that I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour.
That was partially mitigated by stuffing a 1/4 x 1/2 x 3 inch sliver of stiff packing foam at the back of the pad.
This has been finally completely remedied by buying a pair of JVC 55x and using its pads instead of the SZ2000 also with the stiff packing foam.

Then we have the sound, so much bloat that I couldn't believe I paid any amount of money for these.
At least they are sensitive so I can play with the eq in a 24bit domain and keep the dynamics intact on the analog side.
The detail was also sorely lacking.

A little over a month ago I got a PHA-3 and have come to convert all my phones to balanced.
Finally, today I re-terminated the SZ2000 with a 4-pin mini XLR connector.
If anyone is interested the stock cable seems nice to me. 4 conductors, silver coated? with supportive nylon strands in each conductor. Easy to convert to balanced. Not shielded (unless the super thin teflon sheath does something), but neither are the cables that go to my home stereo speakers so no biggie.
I considered a re-cable, but the internal wiring if well cemented in place and solid. They also have a board that branches the signal wires to the two drivers that is equally well cemented in the casing so I'm not going to try my luck at prying it up and irreparably damaging them. So all that and I can't re-cable up to the driver so maybe some other day if ever.

In balanced mode on the PHA-3 it is well controlled down to 20Hz perceptually flat.
That is not frequency response flat, that is what I feel is flat through extensive frequency sweeps and test tones.
I'm still tweaking the bass +/- a few db on occasion, but otherwise I'm fairly set on the eq.

I have a similar graphical eq setup in my Onkyo player settings on my Note 3 that I use as a DAP, unfortunately it only has a 12db range to play with so the sub-bass is not as high.

I was considering buying a pair of Beyer DT1350 and replacing the 30mm driver in the SZ with it for greater detail, but with this eq I have decent mids, treble and even some sparkle. That and the DT1350 FR seems to have a worse void in the mid-bass. Maybe if I find a cheap pair sometime in the future I'll think about it.

Overall I'm listening to every genre with these, but switch to the T1 when I want detail and clarity, then back when I crave the sub-bass again.

Red part

Nice ski jump
biggrin.gif
  That looks like like a very well thought out tweak.

Thanks for sharing
beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,243 of 4,826
Hello everyone! I have a HUGE problem and I desperately need help.... I am new to the basshead community.. Before I did my research and found this thread, I used to think that my plastic Studio Beats were the greatest headphones ever.. lol. (Telling you I don't know much about headphones) Although I am very ignorant on pure-quality headphone termonology such as dependencies and responses, I went for the whole package and purchased a Cayin C5, Fiio Pro cable, and SZ1000 along with Brainwavez replacements memory foam. I went for the SZ1000 because I read that it was the most balanced cans that sounds amazing for any genre.. But I have a HUGE problem...

The bass on right side (the one without the wire) sounds EXTREMELY HORRIBLY weak compared to the other side, it makes some sort of hiss whenever there's a hit.. I've had these headphones for about a month now but I only had time for about 4-5 hours of playtime so far. I didn't really realise it at first because I didn't play bass heavy genres.. But when I did (using EQ by HBB), it was easily noticable.. So I assume it's been like that since the beginning... At first, I thought it was because the headphones were new, but 3 weeks later, I'm getting the same results!! I run on Audioforge EQ on my iPod... But I also tried VLC on PC and iTunes, and even YouTube using a EQ extension on Chrome. But it sounds the same! Is this a defect? Can I return these and get it fixed or replaced??? Or can I fix these myself??... I don't know if it's possible I could've messed something up when replacing the pads... But please don't tell me I have to spend on another pair because i'm currently stuggling with bills and music is my biggest passion and pain reliever.. ): I there anythng I can do?? I appeciate any kind of advice. Thank you so much!!!

EDIT: I think it's worth noting that i must crank I must crank up the volume to 80% to make the right side sounds like the left side as it did at about 50%

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2,244 of 4,826
Hello everyone! I have a HUGE problem and I desperately need help.... I am new to the basshead community.. Before I did my research and found this thread, I used to think that my plastic Studio Beats were the greatest headphones ever.. lol. (Telling you I don't know much about headphones) Although I am very ignorant on pure-quality headphone termonology such as dependencies and responses, I went for the whole package and purchased a Cayin C5, Fiio Pro cable, and SZ1000 along with Brainwavez replacements memory foam. I went for the SZ1000 because I read that it was the most balanced cans that sounds amazing for any genre.. But I have a HUGE problem...

The bass on right side (the one without the wire) sounds EXTREMELY HORRIBLY weak compared to the other side, it makes some sort of hiss whenever there's a hit.. I've had these headphones for about a month now but I only had time for about 4-5 hours of playtime so far. I didn't really realise it at first because I didn't play bass heavy genres.. But when I did (using EQ by HBB), it was easily noticable.. So I assume it's been like that since the beginning... At first, I thought it was because the headphones were new, but 3 weeks later, I'm getting the same results!! I run on Audioforge EQ on my iPod... But I also tried VLC on PC and iTunes, and even YouTube using a EQ extension on Chrome. But it sounds the same! Is this a defect? Can I return these and get it fixed or replaced??? Or can I fix these myself??... I don't know if it's possible I could've messed something up when replacing the pads... But please don't tell me I have to spend on another pair because i'm currently stuggling with bills and music is my biggest passion and pain reliever.. ): I there anythng I can do?? I appeciate any kind of advice. Thank you so much!!!

EDIT: I think it's worth noting that i must crank I must crank up the volume to 80% to make the right side sounds like the left side as it did at about 50%

I know and have the iphone with audioforge and sz and Cayin and It should not be doing that...obviously. Pad change is no relation as that is a cosmetic outer modification. Return them ASAP

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #2,245 of 4,826

Interesting stuff! With this preset, you'll probably only need an EQ precut of 6 dB on most songs. (There definitely will be some songs where you'll need a lot more of a precut with this preset, though.)

I talk all about this stuff in this thread. Check it out!

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #2,246 of 4,826

I know and have the iphone with audioforge and sz and Cayin and It should not be doing that...obviously. Pad change is no relation as that is a cosmetic outer modification. Return them ASAP

I think I found the problem!!! Looking through the thread, I found that some other guy had a similar problem which was solved by clearing the 2 holes where the bass comes from... I checked mine, and oh ****.... You know that grey, weak, sponge material that outlines the sound output??... Somehow, bits tore off by where the 2 bass holes are and are lodged in there... I removed the bits visible and it sounds a biiit better I guess, but not enough... ****... So I have a question.. I'm not sure what exactly is the problem, I assume there are still bits lodged somewhere in there, but I'm also wondering if the missing material from the headphone side has anything to do with it... Sigh

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #2,247 of 4,826
  I think I found the problem!!! Looking through the thread, I found that some other guy had a similar problem which was solved by clearing the 2 holes where the bass comes from... I checked mine, and oh ****.... You know that grey, weak, sponge material that outlines the sound output??... Somehow, bits tore off by where the 2 bass holes are and are lodged in there... I removed the bits visible and it sounds a biiit better I guess, but not enough... ****... So I have a question.. I'm not sure what exactly is the problem, I assume there are still bits lodged somewhere in there, but I'm also wondering if the missing material from the headphone side has anything to do with it... Sigh

Sounds like material and dust may have gotten into the bass tubes and made their way to the driver. Just a little material...very tiny...can really **** the sound up. Gently open them up and from a distance spray compressed air at the driver ( better to just blow with your mouth) and shoot air from a can through the tubes from the backside. If the sound imbalance was from the same side that had blockage....occam's razor FTW...maybe.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,248 of 4,826

Interesting stuff! With this preset, you'll probably only need an EQ precut of 6 dB on most songs. (There definitely will be some songs where you'll need a lot more of a precut with this preset, though.)

I talk all about this stuff in this thread. Check it out!

That is an interesting set of eq settings. A 48dB swing is quite extreme.
In 16-bit processing the dynamic range is 96 dB.  For 20-bit it is 120 dB.  For 24 bit it is 144 dB.
In the 16-bit domain, 48 dB is going to change the original dynamics considerably. This may be desirable as many people love vinyl and it has a sub-optimal 80dB dynamic range.
With proper dithering and oversampling any digital source can be processed with an eq and still respect the original dynamics, but this depends on your sound processing and DAC.
Rockbox is good and I enjoy my sansa clip with it, but I don't know if their eq processing is in the 24bit domain or what. It is possible that with a 48dB eq change that the compression of sound is what is giving the enjoyed effects and destroying the original dynamics in the meantime. I haven't ever looked at the rockbox eq processing code so I can't add anything more than speculation here.
I'm trying to retain the original data's dynamics. If I could setup the eq processing to work in a 64bit domain and output in a 32bit domain I'ld be happiest, but that is probably pedantic and unnecessary as 24-bit out should have enough headroom for processing a 16bit source with a max 48dB eq swing and not mangle the dynamics. Just the same I stick to a 24dB eq range.

For the music that I listen to most it is some form of acoustic/electronic fusion such as  Dego & Kaidi Tatham's Come With Me off the Kyoto Jazz Massive - 10th Anniversary - Disc 1. I like the vocals and the other mid to high instruments then at 31 seconds in the sub-harmonic bass line kicks in that the sz renders viscerally that makes the song captivating (just happen to be listening to this atm). Same kind of thing in electro tango. Then there is the classical music with full piano and organs that go super deep. If anything the sz has made it clear that I have been missing some musical detail in the sub-bass region. The 14.51dB pre cut is from the eq app's benchmark of the settings that shows how much clipping occurs. With this setting I'm confident in staying true to any song's intended dynamics at all frequencies including the crazy motherleverl bass test track.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,249 of 4,826

a little OT but If you want to a bass heavy but still balanced mix, just go with the beyer dt770 pro 80s. there is nothing better.

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,250 of 4,826
I had the dt770 80, not a very good headphone to be honest. They distort at mid to high levels, not a good high SPL headphone. The long undetachable cord also was a negative as well. Definitely not a mixing headphone, dj or studio. Thanks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back