JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #2,011 of 4,826
  What do the numbers say about the cans above?

I tested them with the same track,hardware and eq slope and the SZ NEEDED the juice.

Those #'s seem to indicate an idevice would be enough to properly drive the SZ....my ipod classic is a paper weight now.
I have vids demonstrating bass switch effects on the e12 and C5 and NOBODY did that before and nobody demonstrated the relative energy a set of cans would put out until a channel with 100,000 views was built around that show.

These cans have demonstrated more than any set on the site because they do something you can see and that is rare and that is why you cant take vids of ultrasones or ____ cuz you'd be watching what??

Not this!

Take the amp out the chain and you'd see what an Ultrasone Pro 900 does with that sub-bass........nothing

I'm not trying to deny that it may need more power than normal when you boost the bass, volume, etc. I'm just looking for concrete numbers. There are formulas to determine normal power requirements for headphones, so if it's different for this one, I'm trying to figure out how to crunch the numbers.

(Sure, I can just use whatever amp, but I like to be more precise than that.)

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,012 of 4,826

I'm not trying to deny that it may need more power than normal when you boost the bass, volume, etc. I'm just looking for concrete numbers. There are formulas to determine normal power requirements for headphones, so if it's different for this one, I'm trying to figure out how to crunch the numbers.

(Sure, I can just use whatever amp, but I like to be more precise than that.)

Yeah, I get it.
I cannot be the one (maybe someone else) can be specific.

e12 high gain and bass on, volume pot 60%
C5 high gain and bass on volume pot 40%

the e12 is 880mW and the C5 is 800mW so those #'s should be flipped but they are not......specs are a funny thing sometimes
confused.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #2,013 of 4,826
  Yeah, I get it.
I cannot be the one (maybe someone else) can be specific.

e12 high gain and bass on, volume pot 60%
C5 high gain and bass on volume pot 40%

the e12 is 880mW and the C5 is 800mW so those #'s should be flipped but they are not......specs are a funny thing sometimes
confused.gif

The E12's max output power at 16 ohms is 600 mW. I can't find specs for the Cayin C5 at 16 ohms.

Mar 25, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2,014 of 4,826
Ehm.. So basically these are a lot like XB500 (just in a different league, obviously...) I'am guessing then. Both are extremely capable and dynamic headphones, yet they crave for EQ in order to sound at their best and make them actually sound how they are supposed to.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2,015 of 4,826
Ehm.. So basically these are a lot like XB500 (just in a different league, obviously...) I'am guessing then. Both are extremely capable and dynamic headphones, yet they crave for EQ in order to sound at their best and make them actually sound how they are supposed to.

No they are not, maybe because they are for bassheads then yes, but you can compare both at http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&document_srl=49622 and http://en.goldenears.net/14908 as you can see they are different in sound signature, sony makes boomy headphones which i like actually, jvc makes bass solid and very punchy so if they amped properly they are truly paper shakers.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #2,016 of 4,826
Of course out of the box they have different sigs, I never said they have similar FR.
Driver(s) dynamics has nothing to do with FR graph.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,017 of 4,826
The amp debate is always complicated at 16 ohms because of current limiting.

I've read most of the thread, but are there any good reviews of the M50 (M50x as well) compared to the SZ1000?

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #2,018 of 4,826
I've been reading this thread and the best bass headphones thread and I'm not sure about the SZ1000/2000. People say they've got less clarity than the M50 (which suck) but I've also seen someone say they're far better than the M-Audio Q40 in every aspect which contradicts the M50 statement, because the M50 sounds like crap next to a Q40. Who has heard all three that can help me know what is the truth?

Apr 4, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #2,019 of 4,826
  I've been reading this thread and the best bass headphones thread and I'm not sure about the SZ1000/2000. People say they've got less clarity than the M50 (which suck) but I've also seen someone say they're far better than the M-Audio Q40 in every aspect which contradicts the M50 statement, because the M50 sounds like crap next to a Q40. Who has heard all three that can help me know what is the truth?

Copied from Extreme Bass

Quote:

The TH900 are beautiful and Flagship. Craftmanship and overall quality are exceptional though urashii (?) wood laquer is not worth that price. I don't think any cans are. They can slam very hard or playback fine details.  
They are on another level from the SZ and they are priced as such....way over but they exist on different levels except bass where the SZ pulls ahead.

I would only rec the SZ to folks from Car audio who are used to tweaking gains and slopes as part of the audio experience. It's no coincidence that the happiest troupe is from that branch. My branch.

I can...as my pics and vids show, buy whatever I like and do it in person. I don't need anyone's opinion. I just go to a Japanese headphone shop or big box electronics store and listen myself. Yet 14 months later I still love the SZ?

blink.gif

so either,

1. My ears go to sleep before I enter audio shops.

or

2. There is something there that most folks miss.

The only genre' these clearly do not excel is techno synth type. Fast upper bass layered over sub bass and synth that runs the full spectrum at high speed with fast switchings is a weakness that I learned from others as i do not listen to that genre'

If you do not buy after market pads
and
Do not have a Cayin C5/e12 or other known amps that pair with SZ
and listen to a lot of Techno and the like
and
are not comfortable with gain and eq tweaking

if any of those apply ...just keep looking.

Do NOT buy the SZ

I don't need other folks opinions because of geographical luck. Nothing wrong with my ears. Have choice and selection of anything I want and can try it in person and 14 months later here I am.

I would suggest you not buy the SZ.
They do need work and large to minute tuning sessions which take lots of patience. I think you would be better off skipping on these. I have owned the 3 cans you mention and still have only the SZ but the Q40 maybe would still be with me if they hadn't blown.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #2,021 of 4,826
Are the 2000's worth the extra money over the 1000's? They're almost twice the price and some say they sound very similar.

I own both and no...it's not worth twice the price unless.....your an extreme basshead and must have the hardest hitter. The 1k hits slightly less (still harder than anything else on market besides brother). Needs amp and eq loving

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #2,022 of 4,826
I had been on the lookout for some good headphones for bass-heavy music. My DT 770 pro's didn't quite satisfy me in that area. So I found this topic and bought myself the HA-SZ2000 on Ebay. They really are amazing and I've had so much fun with them massaging my brain. (Thank you Hawaiibadboy for giving such good information about them.) I had them hooked up to a Fiio E10K and all was well.

But then one day the setup just kind of stopped working. The bass was suddenly gone! Not completely but the quantity was just... alot less. I can still hear some bass but it's not the insane amount it used to deliver. I'm really not an expert in this area, but I'm thinking it might be the E10K. It seems weird to me that a headphone would suddenly deliver less bass, unless the driver stopped working. But since the bass isn't completely gone I don't think the driver is dead. I tried plugging my older DT 770's in to the E10K and in my mind they seemed to have lost some bass too. But I'm not sure if it's just because I'm used to the amount the sz2000 delivered. I also haven't found any difference using them on different computers.
Has anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #2,023 of 4,826
  I had been on the lookout for some good headphones for bass-heavy music. My DT 770 pro's didn't quite satisfy me in that area. So I found this topic and bought myself the HA-SZ2000 on Ebay. They really are amazing and I've had so much fun with them massaging my brain. (Thank you Hawaiibadboy for giving such good information about them.) I had them hooked up to a Fiio E10K and all was well.

But then one day the setup just kind of stopped working. The bass was suddenly gone! Not completely but the quantity was just... alot less. I can still hear some bass but it's not the insane amount it used to deliver. I'm really not an expert in this area, but I'm thinking it might be the E10K. It seems weird to me that a headphone would suddenly deliver less bass, unless the driver stopped working. But since the bass isn't completely gone I don't think the driver is dead. I tried plugging my older DT 770's in to the E10K and in my mind they seemed to have lost some bass too. But I'm not sure if it's just because I'm used to the amount the sz2000 delivered. I also haven't found any difference using them on different computers.
Has anyone else ever run into anything like this?

Going bass deaf, perhaps? It's probably the E10k if both seem less bassy, only way to confirm is using another amp though.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,024 of 4,826
  Going bass deaf, perhaps? It's probably the E10k if both seem less bassy, only way to confirm is using another amp though.

I think @LaPierre nailed it.

The SZ should really have a Cayin C5 or an e12.

You bashed a e10 with bass until it tapped out
biggrin.gif

Seriously.
Feel good. Cans are almost certainly fine. Amp however.....

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #2,025 of 4,826
Seems weird, since he was using the E10 before the change and the bass was "volumetric" as always. Did you checked the gain?

Mine started to distort again at high volume levels a few days ago, but the distortion dissapeared again (Wasapi + Foobar straight out of my laptop -which gives around 900mW or so on full power, might be a little more maybe, hence, why i don't really use amps-). I also found the missing bass, but there are differences from an out of the box unit... Still, awesome sound nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back