JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,966 of 4,826
@Hawaiibadboy @LaPierre

The JVC specifies a sensitivity of 108dB @ 1mW. They have an impedance of 16 ohms. If you want enough headroom to go to 120dB cleanly on transients (which should be way more than enough), you'll need 16mW. To attain 16mW into 16 ohms, you'll need around a half a volt of signal amplitude. This is all pretty trivial for any modern amp. The one potential issue is that with two drivers and a crossover, chances are the impedance curve of the HA-SZ2000 isn't very flat, and this means that it should be driven by an amp with an output impedance much lower than the headphone impedance to avoid issues with damping factor or frequency response. Ideally, you'd want your amp to have an output impedance of <1 ohm or so for these headphones, and this is where a lot of sound cards and devices have the opportunity to fall flat. As long as your amp has a low output impedance though, all the other specs should be really easy to attain. 16mW and half a volt is not a difficult thing to achieve.

For example, an O2 can push a little over 250mW and around 2V into a 15 ohm load. This would be enough to cleanly drive them to 132dB, which would promptly damage your hearing and/or blow the headphones.

As long as you aren't boosting the bass above the 120dB figure I calculated above, you still won't need more than 16mW (unless the headphones have a bass rolloff, in which case you might need more power if you're trying to compensate for it).

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,968 of 4,826
  @Kukyo i can't root my note 4 since it's AT&T ;__; also those DACs are way over my budget any suggestions for a 100-150$ one that'll do work as far as EQing

Hmm, the X1 is not the best EQ'ing source, but it is clean. You might get a better result than with the Note 4 using the Cayin (haven't tested mine). You could always go with a Clip+ and Rockbox'ing it, or go with an E18 so you can bypass the DAC of the Note 4 and use it with the Cayin, but that gets on the "transportable" side of portable audio.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,969 of 4,826

Except it was "out in space" (or "before space") so it supposedly wouldn't actually make a sound, plus we weren't exactly "around" at the time anyway, and even if we were somehow, there's no way we could hear it under any circumstance I can imagine.
tongue.gif

I'm more inclined to believe that everything has always existed in one form or another.

Lol, this would be a topic we don't exactly want to derail the thread with. But if my understanding is correct the entirety of the big bang occurred in an insanely small fraction of a second and also, sound can be in space if there's a medium for pressure waves to travel through (considering the entirety of everything was condensed into a single point and elements as we know them didn't quite exist yet it might be hard to consider whatever what was as gasses. We weren't around, but we can humor ourselves with estimations (that's basically all we can do when it comes to space anyway, never mind the big bang, that which we know least about).

Someone who has the SZ2000 should see how loud of a 20hz tone it can handle for me, I really want to know how well it performs there if I'm ever to buy them.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,970 of 4,826

What i really like about SZ2000 is their distortion and crackling free listening at high volume, and sure they do pack a lot of punch with decent mids and highs.

JVC SZ2000 VS human ears...these cans will knock you out if you tread on them with high power amps..lol

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,971 of 4,826
What i really like about SZ2000 is their distortion and crackling free listening at high volume, and sure they do pack a lot of punch with decent mids and highs.

JVC SZ2000 VS human ears...these cans will knock you out if you tread on them with high power amps..lol

Needed a magnifying glass to read that lol. The ability to reproduce those extremes is a really under appreciated attribute in the headphone/speaker world. It takes a well engineered headphone to handle both low and high amplitudes well, especially at the extremes. The SZ2000 sounds like the only headphone capable of handling movies with extreme lows and giant dynamic ranges, like an actual home theater.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,972 of 4,826
No wonder why these cans are at the top of the list. Comparison was made only with other bass heavy headphones.

I tried few cans before getting sz2000 and from all of them i think sz2000 is a clear winner. Naming few like vmoda crossfade lp/m100, jbl synchros s700, akg k550, sony xb1000, denon d600, sennheiser momentums..in the end its all user preference, how they like their sound to be.

If i ever feel a need to upgarde i will get a tactile bass jacket (subpac M1 or bassaware) instead of spending money on headphones and amps.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,973 of 4,826
No wonder why these cans are at the top of the list. Comparison was made only with other bass heavy headphones.

If the criteria is bass, wouldn't it be at the top of the list against both bass-heavy and bass-light headphones? =D

(Unless we're talking about finer qualities of bass prevalent in planar magnetic and electrostatic headphones.)

Mar 14, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #1,974 of 4,826
  Needed a magnifying glass to read that lol. The ability to reproduce those extremes is a really under appreciated attribute in the headphone/speaker world. It takes a well engineered headphone to handle both low and high amplitudes well, especially at the extremes. The SZ2000 sounds like the only headphone capable of handling movies with extreme lows and giant dynamic ranges, like an actual home theater.

Quote:
 While engaged in another bout of childminding, I used the JVC’s via my iPad to watch Netflix. The results with an episode of The Good Wife were seriously impressive for a headphone. The JVC managed to create a real sense of the space around characters, dialogue was crisp and beautifully handled and the whole performance was ‘right’ in a way I don’t normally experience with headphones. Taking this to its logical conclusion and connecting the HA-SZ2000 to my Cambridge Audio 751R and fed some blu-ray soundtracks through them, it became clear pretty quickly that the JVC is one of the finest pairs of headphones I’ve used for watching films.

One of the first reviews ever hit on the Home theater aspect. It's not my thing (basshead!!!!!!!!!) but that part of it's ability was noted before us bassheads even discovered it

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,975 of 4,826

One of the first reviews ever hit on the Home theater aspect. It's not my thing (basshead!!!!!!!!!) but that part of it's ability was noted before us bassheads even discovered it

What a coincidence, I usually think of games/movies (with headphones) in terms of either being bassy or having a soundstage, both kinds of headphones do games/movies fairly well. The SZ1000/2000 seem to be the kind of headphone for that, but can anyone comment on their long-term wearing comfort? They seem heavy, but well padded --- but how do they feel after a few hours?

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,976 of 4,826

What a coincidence, I usually think of games/movies (with headphones) in terms of either being bassy or having a soundstage, both kinds of headphones do games/movies fairly well. The SZ1000/2000 seem to be the kind of headphone for that, but can anyone comment on their long-term wearing comfort? They seem heavy, but well padded --- but how do they feel after a few hours?

I was actually going to mention that review, since I had read it.

I will post all my thoughts once I receive the headphones.

For those who have tried various pads, do you think I should get pads other than the HM5 ones? Like perhaps the HAM55X pads too, for more impact?

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,977 of 4,826
So it looks like I would have to buy the HA-M55X in order to get the pads. Not a problem, since it's so affordable and I was curious to try it anyway.

Can anyone tell me if the HA-M55X and HA-MR77X have the same pads?

Is there any advantage that those two headphones have sound-wise over the HA-SZ2000? Or is the HA-SZ2000 superior in every way?

can anyone comment on their long-term wearing comfort? They seem heavy, but well padded --- but how do they feel after a few hours?

I was reading some posts in this thread and found this gem:

1. The stock SZ's are extremely comfortable, which is absolutely amazing considering their weight. The stock earpads are super soft leather with super soft foam, and the headband cushion is made of super soft and resilient polyester fibers, and these super soft physical contacts make you feel like you're wearing a stupid sexy ski suit.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #1,978 of 4,826
Music alchemist if you read disclaimer of best bass headphones thread, it starts something like this.

"This is a collection of the hardest hitting cans. Nothing more. Nobody is claiming anything besides the fact that these 10 will thump your head."

I remember i made my purchase after reading this disclaimer. I am sure you did too :wink:

Which headphones are best...its an endless debate because it all depends on ones music taste and applications they are using. I would be a proud owner of hd650 or he500 if i wasn't into edm dub and bass.

Just a review wont be enough for bassheads who are looking for best bass heavy headphones, unless you provide facts like hbb did through comparison among other headphones, track list, bass/eq settings, videos etc.

If you have mixed feelings for crossfade lps then i am sure you gonna like em.

Like your avatar, looks like mr grey is listening some dub wub wub lol.

Just for laughs..

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,979 of 4,826

I was just curious if anyone could tell me about the differences between the three headphones. I know the info is already out there, but I'm too lazy to look for it all. I will probably buy the HA-M55X if only for the pads. I'm curious about the HA-MR77X as well, but if it doesn't do anything better than the HA-SZ2000, I may not bother adding it to the collection.

Haha. Look at my old avatars. Such randomness.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,980 of 4,826
There is a difference between collection and selection. Collecting old electronics makes no sense, in the end you gonna put them on ebay for auction or recycle them in junk.

If i was in your place i would get the sz2000 coz price and performance wise those are the best bet. You can get jvc new models later on when they are released (over-ear HA-MR60X and on-ear HA-SR50X both feature Dual Extreme Bass ports and large driver units – 50mm and 40mm, respectively – for seriously powerful bass performance)

This might help the community more and your youtube channel aswell ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back