JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,951 of 4,826

I'm not familiar with the e18
it's >300mW@32Ω  and the e/12 are 880 and 800 so I'm hoping the power is enough? I know a person who switched from the 18 to the 12 and was very happy but beyond that I dunno how much bass you are looking for?  The power also helps separate the 2 drivers sonic sigs

Get new pads please

Pads
Eq boosted 30/60Hz and then gimmie some thoughts
biggrin.gif

Did I goof?  I was under the impression that the e12 is just an amp and wouldn't be of any use w/o a DAC whereas the e18 was a DAC and amp combined and I could use the OTG functionality of it.  Could I have just purchased an e12a or C5 and connected my Nexus and started jamming Wiz Khalifa - On My Level?

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,952 of 4,826

Hmm, that's interesting. Where did you get the "requires twice as much power for every three decibels of bass boost" spec?

http://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/ it takes 2x the energy to changed the decibels by 3.

Doubling the perceived loudness requires 10x more power, whereas 3 decibels is twice as much power. You can look this up, it's very objectively fact and there's additional factors with bass since it requires more power by default to compete with our natural hearing curve which is less sensitive the lower you go.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,953 of 4,826
  http://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/ it takes 2x the energy to changed the decibels by 3.

Doubling the perceived loudness requires 10x more power, whereas 3 decibels is twice as much power. You can look this up, it's very objectively fact and there's additional factors with bass since it requires more power by default to compete with our natural hearing curve which is less sensitive the lower you go.

Thanks. Bookmarked. (and lol @ us having two conversations at once.)

Well, since the Fulla seems to already have far more power than the SZ2K would need without a bass boost, it should be able to handle at least some boost. Also, if you only boost some of the bass frequencies and nothing else, wouldn't it not require as much power compared to if we were talking about raising the volume of everything?

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,954 of 4,826

Thanks. Bookmarked. (and lol @ us having two conversations at once.)

Well, since the Fulla seems to already have far more power than the SZ2K would need without a bass boost, it should be able to handle at least some boost. Also, if you only boost some of the bass frequencies and nothing else, wouldn't it not require as much power compared to if we were talking about raising the volume of everything?

at 300mw and with an outrageous sensitivity of 108db/mw you should have plenty of overhead. 

1mw = 108db
2 mw = 111db
4 mw = 114db
8 mw = 117db
16 mw = 120db
32 mw = 123db
64 mw = 126db
128 mw = 129db
256 mw = 132 db
300 mw = 134-ish db
512 mw = 135 db

Even if the specs are wrong, I doubt they're off by more than 10db worth of sensitivity which means you have plenty of overhead and can probably equalize +6 or +9 decibels without much problem. 108db/mw is incredibly high, they must've used high grade neodymium magnets for this headphone.

*edit* disclaimer: there could be other things I'm not accounting for or a failure in my logic, but with my limited knowledge this is the best explanation I could come up with --- I don't think this is wrong though, 300 mw doesn't seem like much but not many people put their amplifier at max (remember every 3db is 2x as much power) so max volume is significantly more power than half volume.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #1,955 of 4,826
  at 300mw and with an outrageous sensitivity of 108db/mw you should have plenty of overhead. 

1mw = 108db
2 mw = 111db
4 mw = 114db
8 mw = 117db
16 mw = 120db
32 mw = 123db
64 mw = 126db
128 mw = 129db
256 mw = 132 db
300 mw = 134-ish db
512 mw = 135 db

Even if the specs are wrong, I doubt they're off by more than 10db worth of sensitivity which means you have plenty of overhead and can probably equalize +6 or +9 decibels without much problem. 108db/mw is incredibly high, they must've used high grade neodymium magnets for this headphone.

*edit* disclaimer: there could be other things I'm not accounting for or a failure in my logic, but with my limited knowledge this is the best explanation I could come up with --- I don't think this is wrong though, 300 mw doesn't seem like much but not many people put their amplifier at max (remember every 3db is 2x as much power) so max volume is significantly more power than half volume.

Car audio bass comp is the same as the amount of amp and sub surface area increases radically over 130dB.

I could hit 131 with just 2 15" W3 subs

and the world record holder has a tank with....well

It's like a truck pull sled. Diminished returns relative to energy in and output measured in decibels is incredible.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,956 of 4,826

Car audio bass comp is the same as the amount of amp and sub surface area increases radically over 130dB.

I could hit 131 with just 2 15" W3 subs

and the world record holder has a tank with....well

It's like a truck pull sled. Diminished returns relative to energy in and output measured in decibels is incredible.

The fun thing about subwoofers (any speakers actually) is that every time you double the drivers you increase efficiency by 3 decibels. So if you find a subwoofer with high sensitivity and get a few of them you can easily reach extreme SPL without needing a crazy amp. Seeing as how 3 decibels makes a difference of 2x as much power every little bit you save is going to be overwhelming at the extreme.

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,957 of 4,826
Wow, 180 decibels is just about the absolute limit of loudness possible in air. That's literally absurd, was it just within the car volume or outside the car as well? Loudness lowers over distance, but 180 must have a massive range before reaching 0, I wouldn't know but it seems pretty extreme no matter how I think about it.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #1,959 of 4,826
  Wow, 180 decibels is just about the absolute limit of loudness possible in air. That's literally absurd, was it just within the car volume or outside the car as well? Loudness lowers over distance, but 180 must have a massive range before reaching 0, I wouldn't know but it seems pretty extreme no matter how I think about it.

When I competed they placed the mic on the dash facing the inside of windshield about 3 inches away...and wore safety headphones (testers)
That record holder vehicle is fully sealed with much more than dynamat. Maybe steel and other materials. That's why the deck is on the outside so the sound chamber can be as sealed as possible

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #1,960 of 4,826
can anyone recommend a music player/DAC to go with my cayin c5 amp. my samsung note 4 with poweramp just is not sounding anything like it does on my PC. maybe im doing something wrong but i EQd the lows on poweramp and it doesnt come anywhere near my PCs level of bass output and overall loudness. my budget is around 150$.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,961 of 4,826
  can anyone recommend a music player/DAC to go with my cayin c5 amp. my samsung note 4 with poweramp just is not sounding anything like it does on my PC. maybe im doing something wrong but i EQd the lows on poweramp and it doesnt come anywhere near my PCs level of bass output and overall loudness. my budget is around 150$.

You can always try the DX50 or DX90 (I liked the DX50 + E12 combo, with the Cayin might be even better), but i'd recommend you install Viper4Android first, though if you don't want to root your phone, it could be a pain.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #1,962 of 4,826
Remember i read somewhere that a nuclear blast will put out 200 decibels at 3 Hz and some 250 dB in other frequensies. So thats the basshead preferred way to go... Not that it matters as eardrums go out before 200 dB.:scream:

Mar 13, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,963 of 4,826
Remember i read somewhere that a nuclear blast will put out 200 decibels at 3 Hz and some 250 dB in other frequensies. So thats the basshead preferred way to go... Not that it matters as eardrums go out before 200 dB.:scream:

The maximum possible sound with air as a medium is 194-ish decibels, anything past that doesn't behave like sound anymore, just intense explosions/shock-waves. 194 is the limit for air pressure, different mediums have different limits but that is kind of irrelevant to human hearing. I remember reading that the big bang would have only been about 150 decibels max because of the density of the gas. Since every 10 decibels is 10x as much power and twice as loud it's important for headphones/speakers to have an amplifier with lots of spare power so it doesn't struggle with dynamic peaks. A good dynamic range for a recording is 20-ish decibels though most are less and some are more (more isn't necessarily bad, just be prepared for a huge volume range, typically something you'd encounter in movies or in classical/orchestral music).

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,964 of 4,826
  I remember reading that the big bang would have only been about 150 decibels max because of the density of the gas.

Except it was "out in space" (or "before space") so it supposedly wouldn't actually make a sound, plus we weren't exactly "around" at the time anyway, and even if we were somehow, there's no way we could hear it under any circumstance I can imagine.
tongue.gif

I'm more inclined to believe that everything has always existed in one form or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back