JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,816 of 4,826
Has anybody thought of bi-amplifying the sz1k/sz2k? Was just thinking that eq:ing usually extends to frequencies that is covered by the mid/hi driver. I believe it would not be so complicated and would relieve the mid/hi driver more of the bass load.

All you would need is a cable mod and two amps. Would love to play highs through tubes and the low through something seriously powerful. Then you would not need bass boost either, though you could use it.

I wonder as the headphones are 32ohm, if the drivers are series or parallel? Anybody looked at the wiring? Drivers 16 or 64 ohm?

They're wired to a relay board inside, so it would be hard to see if they were really how they're set-up (i guess you could measure the drivers individually...). Bi-amping seems a little harder, since from what i've heard and seen, the SZ doesn't use a filter to separate the frequencies, they seem to be tuned differently (though from what i've learned, there's a version that has a passive filter). You could mod with 2 internal connections for each of the drivers, but you'll need to drill the cups for the extra connectors. Seems more of a hassle than actual benefit, though i am curious on how could sound.

-------------------------------------------

Now, i finally made some time and took pictures of the cable mod. A friend made the mod out of curiosity, and i was looking a way to get the SZ2000 with a removable cable, to make transportantion easier (i used to travel a lot). So, after a few weeks, this is the result: 

He had to reposition the connectors so they wouldn't bother on the shoulders, i didn't find Mini-RCA's to use on the cable, but now i can just make a new one with the connectors :D! This picture shows the old position for the cable, and where the new cables go.

Now, to the controversy. Despite doing everything correctly (double checked with JVC directly), the sound did change. The veil is almost gone (you still can hear it in some tracks, but in others is pretty much neglectable), but so did the volume (mass) of the bass. That punchy (and i mean punchy literally, since it was almost a punch to the ear), thick bass cleared a lot, andgave way to a big amount of clarity, though it retained the V signature. The bass is not as thick as the original headphone, and it does take away some of the experience, it doesn't sound bad. The added clarity helps a lot with the sound, but you'll might end up missing the extra bass. At first i thought it might've been the new cable (Sommer SC-Onyx 2008), so we ended up reusing the original cable, but it made almost to no-difference. It added a smidge of bass, but that's it. All i have left to check now is to see if sealing the old wiring ports could affect the amount of bass, since there's nothing in there now, so it could act like a release to the pressure. It doesn't sound bad now, it makes it a little more polyvalent, but i do miss the thickness of the bass sometimes (i miss listening to NIN - Discipline with the intro drum kicking my head). 

Has anyone else modded the SZ2000 with a removable cable mod? Or was i the only one?

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,818 of 4,826

They're wired to a relay board inside, so it would be hard to see if they were really how they're set-up (i guess you could measure the drivers individually...). Bi-amping seems a little harder, since from what i've heard and seen, the SZ doesn't use a filter to separate the frequencies, they seem to be tuned differently (though from what i've learned, there's a version that has a passive filter). You could mod with 2 internal connections for each of the drivers, but you'll need to drill the cups for the extra connectors. Seems more of a hassle than actual benefit, though i am curious on how could sound.

-------------------------------------------

Now, i finally made some time and took pictures of the cable mod. A friend made the mod out of cu

riosity, and i was looking a way to get the SZ2000 with a removable cable, to make transportantion easier (i used to travel a lot). So, after a few weeks, this is the result: 

He had to reposition the connectors so they wouldn't bother on the shoulders, i didn't find Mini-RCA's to use on the cable, but now i can just make a new one with the connectors :D! This picture shows the old position for the cable, and where the new cables go.

Now, to the controversy. Despite doing everything correctly (double checked with JVC directly), the sound did change. The veil is almost gone (you still can hear it in some tracks, but in others is pretty much neglectable), but so did the volume (mass) of the bass. That punchy (and i mean punchy literally, since it was almost a punch to the ear), thick bass cleared a lot, andgave way to a big amount of clarity, though it retained the V signature. The bass is not as thick as the original headphone, and it does take away some of the experience, it doesn't sound bad. The added clarity helps a lot with the sound, but you'll might end up missing the extra bass. At first i thought it might've been the new cable (Sommer SC-Onyx 2008), so we ended up reusing the original cable, but it made almost to no-difference. It added a smidge of bass, but that's it. All i have left to check now is to see if sealing the old wiring ports could affect the amount of bass, since there's nothing in there now, so it could act like a release to the pressure. It doesn't sound bad now, it makes it a little more polyvalent, but i do miss the thickness of the bass sometimes (i miss listening to NIN - Discipline with the intro drum kicking my head). 

Has anyone else modded the SZ2000 with a removable cable mod? Or was i the only one?

That's cool as hell.

Like we talked about car audio in the past...I would think since the 55mm is tuned then any new areas that allow air flow/pressure change (like drilling a hole in your ported subwoofer enclosure would) is the cause.

It looks really cool!!
beerchug.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #1,819 of 4,826
Your idea is actually pretty interesting, but how would the cable mod do that?

The SZ2K has an impedance of 16 ohms.

Sorry, remembered wrongly the impedance. 16 would make the drivers 8 or 32 ohm.

The mod would include changing the cable to a 8 wire instead of a 4 wire. Then passing the "relay" board to drive woofer separately. It would not be irreversible.

Not having a crossover network but naturally rolled-off drivers is ideal. I found this picture of the woofer output.
So what you would end up with would be the possibility to raise or lower this curve in comparison to the rest of the bandwith. I see potential "boom" in this picture.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,820 of 4,826
Is SZ2000 15Ohms or 16Ohms or else? I sell my Senn Momentums (18Ohms) due to damping factor with my Sound Blaster Z. the volume was very low and the sound was......nothing to say. am I gonna have the same issue with this one?
Second, is this good for heavy metal genres or SZ1000.

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,821 of 4,826
Sorry, remembered wrongly the impedance. 16 would make the drivers 8 or 32 ohm.

The mod would include changing the cable to a 8 wire instead of a 4 wire. Then passing the "relay" board to drive woofer separately. It would not be irreversible.

Not having a crossover network but naturally rolled-off drivers is ideal. I found this picture of the woofer output.
So what you would end up with would be the possibility to raise or lower this curve in comparison to the rest of the bandwith. I see potential "boom" in this picture.

A Hirose connector, or maybe a 4 Pin Mini-XLR could solve the issue, though i think you'd need to split the drivers to each cup and make a Y cable for viability. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,822 of 4,826
Is SZ2000 15Ohms or 16Ohms or else? I sell my Senn Momentums (18Ohms) due to damping factor with my Sound Blaster Z. the volume was very low and the sound was......nothing to say. am I gonna have the same issue with this one?
Plays loud in my opinion even with my iPhone, even better with any amp.
You propably end up ruining your hearing with these as they crave to be blasted like metal music. So thats two for two.

Feb 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,823 of 4,826

STOP

Most users with a soundcard are less that thrilled than folks with desktop/portable amps.

The SZ need juice. 16 Ohm or not they only drive with lots of juice to separate the dual driver and somewhat raise the veil.

Power..power...power
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #1,824 of 4,826
Has anybody thought of bi-amplifying the sz1k/sz2k? Was just thinking that eq:ing usually extends to frequencies that is covered by the mid/hi driver. I believe it would not be so complicated and would relieve the mid/hi driver more of the bass load.

All you would need is a cable mod and two amps. Would love to play highs through tubes and the low through something seriously powerful. Then you would not need bass boost either, though you could use it.

I wonder as the headphones are 32ohm, if the drivers are series or parallel? Anybody looked at the wiring? Drivers 16 or 64 ohm?

I'd love to hear about that and see pictures if you end up doing it, but to be honest I think it's an effort in vain. Being so low impedance I don't think the drivers will like tubes very much, but separately wiring them feed them independently might yield very impressive results and fix their supposed veil.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,825 of 4,826

I use a Recon3d in my pc- i'm a gamer- this is the previous generation sound blaster which is almost the same as yours. Mine will drive the sz1000 to thunderous levels, will also drive 600 ohm cans. Your settings are bad somewhere. 
I also have a Xonar ST, sound is better than the recon3d, also drives up to 600 ohm cans. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,826 of 4,826
Stocks pads with plastic tubing under them. 38cents at osh

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #1,827 of 4,826
How does this SZ2000 compete with JVC HA-S500, dt 770 pro and ath m50 regardless of bass , everything else.

If anyone can pls compare, it would be really grateful.

Im not a basshead , but im more of sub-bass fan, .

I really loved the vocals of m50 and highs of s500, wish this would be better than those two.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,828 of 4,826
  How does this SZ2000 compete with JVC HA-S500, dt 770 pro and ath m50 regardless of bass , everything else.

If anyone can pls compare, it would be really grateful.

Im not a basshead , but im more of sub-bass fan, .

I really loved the vocals of m50 and highs of s500, wish this would be better than those two.

I have the HA-S500 and I have tried the beyerdynamic and Audio Technica headphones and in my opinion the SZ2000 is in a different league to all of them.
This headphone more than any other has made me realise how subjective sound can be. I have read lots of comments about these only being good for bass heavy music but I do not agree.
I listen to lots of old American punk and also singers like Nick Cave and Tom Waits and these headphones blow me away every time I put them on.
I will admit though that when I recently plugged this in to my Galaxy S4 + Cayin C5 amplifier combo they were almost listenable.
For me, adding a good DAC into the mix made these shine. I also use the Rock preset EQ and the HM5 pads.
It has been a lot of tinkering but I feel it is worth it.
You really need a good digital signal too.
A good amp / DAC combo or a high quality DAP is essential in my opinion if you plan to listen to an eclectic mix of music.
Just plugging them in to a phone I would say the beyerdynamic sound better.

The SZ2000 are much more musical than the HA-S500 which sound a little flat in comparison.
I have not had much time with the M50s as I found them to be so uncomfortable and strange looking.
I find the beyerdynamics a little boring but still a solid performer. the SZ2000 have a much bigger soundstage where you can hear the drums cascade all around you. They also have more slam.

Sorry if this all gets quite confusing. I would recommend buying them from somewhere with a decent returns policy just in case.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #1,829 of 4,826

I have the HA-S500 and I have tried the beyerdynamic and Audio Technica headphones and in my opinion the SZ2000 is in a different league to all of them.
This headphone more than any other has made me realise how subjective sound can be. I have read lots of comments about these only being good for bass heavy music but I do not agree.
I listen to lots of old American punk and also singers like Nick Cave and Tom Waits and these headphones blow me away every time I put them on.
I will admit though that when I recently plugged this in to my Galaxy S4 + Cayin C5 amplifier combo they were almost listenable.
For me, adding a good DAC into the mix made these shine. I also use the Rock preset EQ and the HM5 pads.
It has been a lot of tinkering but I feel it is worth it.
You really need a good digital signal too.
A good amp / DAC combo or a high quality DAP is essential in my opinion if you plan to listen to an eclectic mix of music.
Just plugging them in to a phone I would say the beyerdynamic sound better.

The SZ2000 are much more musical than the HA-S500 which sound a little flat in comparison.
I have not had much time with the M50s as I found them to be so uncomfortable and strange looking.
I find the beyerdynamics a little boring but still a solid performer. the SZ2000 have a much bigger soundstage where you can hear the drums cascade all around you. They also have more slam.

Sorry if this all gets quite confusing. I would recommend buying them from somewhere with a decent returns policy just in case.

I have Fiio X3 atm, And im really high pitch intolerance, I meant those fatiguing and sibilance sound, I just can't bare it.

I listened to m50, that thing really astounded me, for that price. But the treble was very harsh and lacked the sub bass of S500.
Dt 770 250 ohm still can't shine with my x3, gonna sell this and thinking of getting sumthing which my x3 can drive.

Please suggest me which would be better for my taste.

Thanks a ton :) 

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,830 of 4,826
The SZ2000 against the M50 is a different animal. The M50 is a lot more V shaped than the SZ2000, but it doesn't have the same amount of bass. Comfort-wise, i prefer the M50 over the SZ2000, they're a lot lighter, and with a pad change they can be really comfortable (though, depends on the pads, i use the DT250 pads, with tape on the back to enhance the bass). The SZ2000 is a great headphone, but usually for desktop, the weight does play against it. If you don't mind the planar-like weight, it's an awesome headphone, that everytime i use it (despite the signature change after the mod), brings a smile to my face on most of my music. The soundstage is amazing, the low end is great for heavy bass music, or movies (who needs to go to the Cinema when you get subwoofer quality bass for all that Bayhem or Marvel's explosions), but it doesn't affect the rest of the frequencies that much.

There is a veil though, and it does give this headphone a "darker" quality at first, then you can swap pads and start EQ'ing to take away "some" of that veil off, and from there you can start modifing the SQ as you please. You might need an amp, but it's not really that necessary, if you have a decent source (i use these with my laptop, and they sound just fine, though i wouldn't mind trying the Cayin with my X1). These hp can take a sonic beating, but not a physical one. the construction quality varies a lot from headphone to headphone (i compared my pair, to a close friend, and there were differences, small, but they were there). 

If it's about price, i'd go M50, you'll get a decent headphone with great SQ for the price. You might even get some of the sub-bass of the S500 on the M50. But i'd go for the SZ2000, the M50 is a very good, but old model, that got a very nice upgrade (M50x), but the SZ2000 is a lot more fun to listen to, despite the weight and the mods you might need to do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back