JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #1,352 of 4,826
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,354 of 4,826
Finally got it, burned it in for a week. I can say these are rather bland straight out of player or DAC (Audinst MX-1). Add Fiio E12 with Bassboost & HM5 thick pads howevever, you'll be grinning with every beat. They sound big and that "in the club" bass is hard to beat. Usually gives me a headache after blasting them for an hour. They are good at doing what they do but for anything else, look elsewhere. Something almost similarly priced I would recommend over the sz2000, would be the Denon D600 with HM5 thick pads for a more well-rounded performance.

My opinion on the HM5 thick pads would be they make the sz2000 sound more distant. Vocals are like from a stage PA instead of in front you. Its not exactly a bad thing as it gives the in concert/club feel I was looking for. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #1,355 of 4,826
Finally got it, burned it in for a week. I can say these are rather bland straight out of player or DAC (Audinst MX-1). Add Fiio E12 with Bassboost & HM5 thick pads howevever, you'll be grinning with every beat. They sound big and that "in the club" bass is hard to beat. Usually gives me a headache after blasting them for an hour. They are good at doing what they do but for anything else, look elsewhere. Something almost similarly priced I would recommend over the sz2000, would be the Denon D600 with HM5 thick pads for a more well-rounded performance.

My opinion on the HM5 thick pads would be they make the sz2000 sound more distant. Vocals are like from a stage PA instead of in front you. Its not exactly a bad thing as it gives the in concert/club feel I was looking for. 

Good tip on the HM5 pads for the D600. What effect did it have on the sound? Looks like the HM5 replacement cables may also fit. Been pretty satisfied with my D600. Even after getting an HD650, I've been still enjoying listening to the D600.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #1,356 of 4,826

-Edit: pictures below.

Left to right: HM5 thick pads, 55X pads, HiFiMAN pads

HiFiMAN Pads:

55X pads:

HM5 thick pads:

Thickness comparison. Left to right: HM5, HiFiMAN, 55X

AWESOME!!! Thanks bro!!
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,359 of 4,826
Sep 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #1,363 of 4,826
has anyone ever tried the SZ's with some velour pads? what diffrences in sound are there?
I'd assume the velour would make them brighter with less veil. Just my hypothesis.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,364 of 4,826
  has anyone ever tried the SZ's with some velour pads? what diffrences in sound are there?

I have used Alcantara pads(Shure) they still had the SZ muffle to them, shiny dynamat in the cup helped a bit. The Alpha pads improved the sound the most while retaining the bass, but they are still far from what I am looking for in the mid/treble department.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,365 of 4,826
Just received my sz 2000 with the Fiio e12. I find the bass good but not great I jut ordered the cowon dap 9+ an beyerdynamic velour pads. I really hope this gives me the bass impact I desire .

That's a Sony,ipad and Cowon dap

Need the e12 and the 55x for head pounding bass. Everything else is moving towards a better overall sound but for basshead it's the 55x pads......

All 3 vids display more bass than you can handle unless you take breaks after 10-15 minutes.

(just noted the velour pads in you comment)

The Cowon dap does match these quite well though its a kinda hell if it has the same UI as the iAudio 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back